x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Installing drivers on WinCE 6

JohnS123 Page Icon Posted 2011-09-05 5:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

I recently have come into possession of of a netbook running WinCE 6.0 . I was able to sucessfully re-flash the OS with an image I found online. Everything works on the unit except for the built in wireless card which will not activate anymore by using the keyboard shortcuts to turn on the wirless light and/or the wireless icon will not show up on the notification area in the bottom right of the screen.

The netbook is a "Tim Hortons" Easy PC - E700 Series comptuer using a VT8500 chip. The internal wireless card is a RaLink card (RT2070L) .

From what I have already researched, I think in order to get this card to work again I have to manually compile another WinCE 6.0 image on my other PC incorportaing RaLink drivers for the card (which btw, I have not found specific WinCE drivers for). Is this correct? I have to install Visual Studio 2005, certain add-ons and compile my own "unique" image for this machine???

I have also read on some sites about certain external pieces of hardware, that once connected to the unit will prompt the netbook user for the location of the driver on the netbook. This situation does not fit my case however as the card is internal and not fully recognized once the OS boots up. This card used to work before I flashed the new image onto the netbook.

Is there anyway to install drivers directly on the unit without using a second PC? Any help with using/installing drivers on this machine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-05 6:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Can you turn on the wifi manually by any other method?
 Top of the page
JohnS123 Page Icon Posted 2011-09-05 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

No, not that I can figure out. Before I re-flashed I could use the keyboard function keys to turn on and double click the task bar icon to select my wireless network.

There is a wi-fi app on the desktop that when run gives two buttons: Turn On Wireless & Turn Off Wireless. Doing either results in nothing happening.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-05 8:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Normally there is a software application that resides in the Windows folder to turn on the wifi. But if you reflashed then you may have deleted that application. You didn't by any chance back up your device before reflashing did you?

As far as Tim Horton...his business purchased a lot of those CE netbook and they were simply standard netbooks with the login/on screens modded to show that...they were not actually any different than any other 8500 netbook. You might try some other WM8500 or Via 8500 rom flashes and see if you can find one that has the driver software for your machine.

Anyways, go to your Windows folder and look at all the .exe files and see if any of them look like wifi hardware control programs....
 Top of the page
JohnS123 Page Icon Posted 2011-09-05 9:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

No, I did not save the default image. (whoops...)

The .exe in the windows folder is the same application I discussed in the previous post. It's called "WiFi Power". When I double click it, a screen pops up saying "Turn Off". I am assuming this means that it is currently on, but the wifi light on my keyboard remains off and nothing shows up in the taskbar to double click and connect to a wireless network.

As far as other images go, do you have a link, because I feel I have already exhausted a lot of searches/attempts already. Thanks.
 Top of the page
Dale Mills
Dale Mills Page Icon Posted 2011-10-07 10:09 PM
#
Please is there any one that can help me?I bought 2 EPC mini laptops from a dealer on DHgate.I had no ideal what I was in for,I bought these for my daughters.I have no ideal how to download the file from File Factory.I emailed them twice asking for help in downloading the file but nothing yet.I'm seeing spots in front of me because of this.....................
I'll go as far as to pay someone if they can send me what I need on a flash drive or SD card.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-10-07 10:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Dale, the File Factory doesn't support Windows CE devices if that is what your EPC laptops are using. And if you want to play online games on it, assuming they are Windows CE devices...then you are out of luck again as most of them are Java type games not supported by most EPC netbooks.

If they have Android on them, than that is another matter...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 28