x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Car DVD GPS with WinCE6.0

arlex Page Icon Posted 2011-09-06 9:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi everybody!

I need your kind advice please regarding a car DVD GPS system running on WinCE6.0. A while ago I bought and mounted on the car one of those chinese sets you can see at http://www.shihongtech.com/english/products0001.html but with no model no. on mine. Nevertheless it is running well. The closest model number that I could find on internet is SH-DV460.

I would like to do a backup of the settings, but for that I expect to use a dedicated software and a laptop to connect via the USB port of this car DVD/GPS. Or use an USB stick or SD card to load the software.
Therefore can somebody please recommend me the necessary software that does the job? Would SPB Backup work or EzBackup (from Handheld Attitude), what do you think?

The booklet I have specifies WinCE6.0, AT840 533MHz processor, while for software gives some names unknown to me: Pinyin IME2.0 (I think that this is text editor for simplified chinese) and SH_108_SDK.msi (which appears to me as a development kit for this device) for which I did not find much on internet.

What do you think, would it work if trying to connect the laptop via usb and ActiveSync?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Edited by arlex 2011-09-06 9:50 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-06 10:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm guessing that it would depend on the OS and file structure of the radio. Is there some way to load and run CE applications on the thing? By that I mean is there some way to access the shell or explorer type program?

If so, then I guess you might want to put some type of file explorer program on an SD card and run it from the card. Once the explorer program was running, you should be able to see the folders and file structure.

You might also try running some type of registry editor from the SD card like Grundle RegEdit. And then you could backup the registry...which is probably where all the settings are stored....unless the device has some special file that keeps the parameters...

You could certainly try the laptop with USB cable link and see if the laptop will recognize the radio as an external hard drive. Running CERegEdit would certainly be easier from a laptop...and so would dragging files and folders from the radio to the laptop's HD for storage....
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2011-09-07 9:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2011-09-06 5:32 PM
I'm guessing that it would depend on the OS and file structure of the radio. Is there some way to load and run CE applications on the thing? By that I mean is there some way to access the shell or explorer type program?

Hi Rich, thank you for answering me.

I found 4 modes - MP3, eBook, DVD and USB/SD, in which I can look for the files to play, but it appears that the search is limited to only that removable type of media. Anyway, I managed to see the folders on the USB stick, which means in principle that I could run all right an installer file.
Anyway, I feel that with the built in file explorer I cannot see the internal system folders and files. I need something better.

You could certainly try the laptop with USB cable link and see if the laptop will recognize the radio as an external hard drive. Running CERegEdit would certainly be easier from a laptop...and so would dragging files and folders from the radio to the laptop's HD for storage....

Yes, I'll try that too over the week-end, thanks.

Any idea though if EzBackup would work on WinCE6.0? As for SPB Backup I know it works on WM5&6, but I have no idea about WinCE6.0; I will check on the SPB site these days.

Edited by arlex 2011-09-07 9:50 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-09-08 6:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, EzBackup will work - I've used it many times on several CE 6 devices.

arlex - 2011-09-07 1:49 PM
Anyway, I managed to see the folders on the USB stick, which means in principle that I could run all right an installer file.
Anyway, I feel that with the built in file explorer I cannot see the internal system folders and files. I need something better.

How about putting Total Commander or GSFinder+ on the USB stick?
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2011-09-08 5:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2011-09-08 1:08 AM

Yes, EzBackup will work - I've used it many times on several CE 6 devices.

arlex - 2011-09-07 1:49 PM
Anyway, I managed to see the folders on the USB stick, which means in principle that I could run all right an installer file.

How about putting Total Commander or GSFinder+ on the USB stick?

Hi CE Geek, thanks for your hints.

Unfortunately I was wrong in my guesstimate about the capability of this Car DVD GPS unit in "seeing" any type of file. The device "sees" only what it can be processed from the touch-screen interface, e.g. from the USB stick it shows only video, photo and sound files, nothing else. So I cannot handle exe files.

I also plugged it in to a laptop usb port, but it means nothing, it isn't even recognized as mass storage device. Definitely I need drivers in order to get connected. Maybe a dedicated software too.

For the mentioned SH-DV460 a piece of software <SiRF ARM4VI based BSP for the ­AT8X0BD.rar> is available on the net, but I dont know if it is the right one for me. Most probably it is a GPS software developer kit, eula is mentioning the company SIRF Atlas in California.

So I still keep looking for a solution...............
Thanks.

Edited by arlex 2011-09-08 5:45 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8