x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Intermec 6651 TRANSPLANT

1 2
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-09-14 1:16 AM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

I am going to attempt one of the most daring of tasks: building one awesome, perfect Intermec 6651 from two used 6651s with minor defects! Hopefully, the world will have one more usable Intermec 6651 when I'm done. I have two Intermec 6651s sitting on the table in my nerd cave. In the next two paragraphs, I will describe the defects and confirmed working parts of each.

Intermec Handheld PC #1:
Will not power on, not even the charging light will activate
Hinge has lots of play
Stylus will not stay put (maybe with filler this could be fixed)
Screen in very good condition, but not testable
All casing in very good condition, except for two little white marks on lid

Intermec Handheld PC #2:
Touchscreen does not respond
LCD screen bright and working without defect, although not as good condition as #1
Casing is not in nearly as good condition as #1, especially hinge area ; lid is perfect ; bottom has a hairline crack
Hinge has less play
Keyboard works
Camera works
Stylus firmly stays in place

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My plan is to take the motherboard from #1 and replace it with the motherboard from #2. I don't know if this will solve the problem with it powering on for certain, but I predict it will. My questions are as follows:
-Is there a better/easier way to get the same result?
-If no, will replacing the motherboard fix the problem?
-Is there any way to tighten the hinge on a 6651 or replace it?
-Lastly and most importantly, is there any resource that describes how to disassemble an Intermec 6651, or am I making history?

Edited by MobilePro Master 2011-09-14 1:17 AM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-09-14 2:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

*Watches anxiously*

Good luck MPM!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-14 12:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Could be the power on problem of #1 is not the motherboard. I could be anything from faulty power switches, to a bad keyboard, to bad battery connections. Surely swapping out the motherboads is the easiest way to confirm that.
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-09-15 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Does anyone know how to take one of these apart though?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-09-16 5:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

LOL
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-09-16 12:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Just sit down with your little torx or screwdrivers and start taking it apart...be careful to document where the various pieces go, take pictures if necessary, and eventually you will figure it all out...that's how I wrote my Mobilepro repair guides...trial and error...
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-09-16 6:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Take pictures, every time I disassemble something I HAVE to take pictures. I also have a piece of paper with circles drawn on them where I keep all the screws, under these circles I have either numbers coinciding with the pictures to help me know what goes where or a short description.
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-09-16 8:39 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The last two times I took a computer apart, I had sticky notes (one for each "layer") which had labeled circles with double-sided tape on them to keep the screws from falling off. I thought about taking a video, but didn't think it was necessary and one computer got back together with only a few internal clips cracked (after being taking apart and put back together about three times it was stressed and stripped), one is still apart waiting for pieces, which you all know of. I'm not worried about where to start or even how not to forget though, I'm worried about what I now have nightmares about, which is when there is something internal holding it together that you don't know about and it's possible to break it if you're not informed, or even if the pieces don't go together seamlessly. I'm going to be really, really careful though and ask every time I come across something because I'm making this so my brother doesn't keep asking for a laptop. I suspect it will be difficult to actually take out the entire motherboard, but I may be wrong. Forgive me for stalling also, but now it's the weekend and I have time to work. Also, for future reference I will make sure to heavily document everything I do by taking notes and pictures and editing them with annotations, or even taking a video to show the best way to move things. I think it will be a great addition to HPC: Factor.

Edited by MobilePro Master 2011-09-16 8:39 PM
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-09-18 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It looks like this will have to happen next weekend or the one after that at the rate I'm accumulating things to do. I like to put it last on my list because I'm still scared...

It will happen though, I bought these H/PCs for this sole reason, and neither of them are completely usable anyway.

Edited by MobilePro Master 2011-09-18 3:58 PM
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2011-09-21 3:06 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I think a geek in Vancouver, BC. Canada had tried upgrading 6651's ram 10 years ago

(Hey! TakWu! do you know any Chinese who was called "hhh"???)

He separated everything apart from the machine
I had seen the pictures on the website called "pdaordie" (PDA or die)
Unfortunately, it died!

I've found the link in other site
HC7000 BY HHH

Edited by AKG 2011-09-21 3:47 AM
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2011-10-11 9:31 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-10-12 1:07 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Wow thanks AKG. Did you do this recently or did you already have these pictures? I'll try to get to work this weekend. Is there any way to tighten the hinge?
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2011-10-12 6:37 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

The pictures show the date they were shot
I open the hinge in violent way so you owe me a lot
Cry me a river
Regret!
Closer look
Rear of the hinge were sealed
For those whose hinge was loosen
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-10-13 1:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sorry, I realized the date thing after I posted and my computer was off. Because I'll only need one of these hinges, I'll try to send you the other. It's a not in quite as good condition as yours but It's the least I can do. Your findings are invaluable for anyone with one of these machines, and the hinge problem is finally solved! I think those seals on the screws can be removed with a pin by the looks of them...
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2011-10-14 11:28 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Glad to know it helps!
To tell the truth, I dare not to open the screen
This is my second unit bought from internet
I use it as a spare parts reservation
kind of guilty while watching "the island" (2005) by Scarlett Johansson, Ewan McGregor
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10