x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Psion Netbook Pro - unresponsive touchscreen

nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2011-10-27 10:11 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi All

I bought a Psion NetBook Pro (WinCE 4.2) a few months ago. It worked fine out of the box, I installed SoftMaker Office 2006, had a play about with that, then put it in a drawer for a few months.

Took it out today, recharged the battery, and now the touchscreen ignores any touches of the stylus. I've tried to run the screen recalibration, via tab, arrow, enter navigation but all I get is some kind of 'expanding' screen animation, as if a new screen is about to launch, then nothing happens.

I've also tried pressing down over the Psion logo, between the 6 and 7 keys, as another old forum post suggested this, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Nic
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-10-27 11:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It sounds like some ROM files might be corrupted. The best thing I can suggest is to reflash it with a newer ROM version. IIRC, Psion still has ROM images for the NB Pro available for download on its site (though you have to go through a free registration process to access them).
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-10-28 7:37 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

What CE Geek said. On the Epoc versions of the netBook, there was a design flaw that would make the screen cable come loose. Not sure if this effects the netBook Pro as well.

Q. My trusty Psion netBook has started playing up, with the touch-screen often mis-registering my stylus taps. I’ve tried recalibrating, to no avail, over and over again. Does this sound like a repair job?

This is quite a common problem with Psion Series 7s and netBooks. Your screen cable is loose and (in the worst case) may need replacing. One quick fix is to press firmly on the ‘netBook’ (or ‘Series 7’) logo, above the keyboard. This is often enough to reseat the cable and restore a solid connection for a while. If this doesn't work, you'll need to partially disassemble your machine to get to the screen cable. It's not too difficult but don’t try it if you don’t feel confident with this sort of thing and we’re not going to go into too much detail here. Essentially, you remove the logo label between the keyboard and display, then remove the only screw that you’ll see. Lift off the top and then extract the pins that hold the screen. When you get to the screen cable, a semi-permanent repair is to insert a wedge of cardboard between the cable and the base of the unit. Good luck!

Psion.com
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-10-28 8:53 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Just for yucks, I looked at ebay and found Psion CE 4.2 netbooks new for 89USD. Some wag has a bunch NIB. Might be the solution. I'm tempted myself, but need to stay married, so I'll pass on adding another machine to my collection. But I've always wanted one, especially with the linux possibilities.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10