x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Egress RSS Reader Runs on J-720

1 2
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 7:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Glad to hear of your progress. Weird about the long download. I web-scrape about 12 or so RSS feeds (Cnn.com World, that sort of payload) and even so, I'm getting a minute-long download at the most for the whole lot, maybe 30 feeds in all.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 7:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I get the feeds pretty quick, what I was doing was downloading the entire article/webpage from the original website in full, to include pictures...for full off-line reading later on.

Imagine opening up two-three dozen webpages from scratch with IE and saving the entire page and all graphics embedded on it...that is how I had the Egress configured. And that was a mistake...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 8:17 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ah, okay, I get it now. Yes, such a set-up would take its time.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 8:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I also just changed the web browser from IE to Opera Mini. Using it in the "mobile" mode really cuts out the bull and makes loading very fast and easy...

So Egress seems to be the way to go for RSS feeds for sure, especially with Opera Mini.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 8:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Other than what seems to be a difficult registration process (both on J-720 end and author's), I'm enjoying myself. I'm totally about off-line readin', so I scrape the feeds and use Egress when I don't have an internet connection.

Haven't tried this yet:

http://www.maximumsoft.com/products/nc_pocketpc/overview.html

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-22 10:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Jake, I tried Newscopier from the link you provided above. And while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles Egress does, it sure meets the basic needs just fine. And it runs great on the 900C without Redgear too. Here is a screenshot of the program running on the 900C. The 3 screenshots are 1)main screen, 2) The channel articles, and 3) Viewing the article in Opera Mini (you just click on the "read story online" button and it opens mini and shows the article)

The only program option available is the location you store everything in...either main memory, internal memory for 900c, or CF card if you have one inserted.

(newscopier.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments newscopier.jpg (117KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-23 7:03 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Looks good, Rich. Good enough to make me take the plunge. But NewsCopier doesn't seem to run on the J-720, even w/ RedGear and a bunch of extra dlls, even RedGear Redistributables. I see it start, then it dies.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-23 7:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I guess I should have added that it needed cellcore.dll and note_prj.dll and 3 hexedits...

900C file is attached. BTW, it is edited to look for the OperaMini browser titled operamin.exe in the \oprmini folder on the device. By default, the unedited file looks for ieexplore.exe in the \windows folder. But that is too slow for my tastes...

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NewsCopier.exe (241KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-23 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Still no joy. Which cellcore and note_prj.dll are the best? I've got them from cmonex's site. Or should I be looking somewhere else? And this is for HPC2000, no?

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-23 8:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Mine was for CE.NET Mobilepro...so there is probably just too much difference in CE3 and CE4 OS to run the app.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-23 8:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Funny, though, that Egress, a seemingly more sophisticated program, will run on CE 3.0 (with some help).

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10