x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

TinyBook Windows CE r2 update to r3 for better browser capabilities

BigRoam21 Page Icon Posted 2011-12-22 9:12 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello all, I am new to, not only this site, but to handheld pc technology in general. Please excuse my noobness. I came across a TinyBook T706 netbook and I would like to give it to my 7 yr old daughter. She likes to watch videos and play games online but this device has IE v5, not sufficient to view youtube or play yahoo games. Seeing that there is no official support for this device, I would like to know how to update to perhaps Windows CE 6.00 r3 or a newer OS or just browser. I tried Opera Mini and it worked until I restarted the device. All traces of it are gone.
On the desktop, it reads "Windows Embedded CE v6.00 (Build 0 on Aug 7 2009)". I am sure that this line of questioning has been addressed already. If one of you lovely people can point me to the appropriate thread or page, I would be very grateful.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-22 10:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

We have quite a Tinybook thread here on HPCFactor...but to help you now, you need to install the Opera Mini manually to a folder where the files will remain after you turn off the device.

As far as upgrading the OS to r3....forget it. The "system" folder will work.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 6:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

BigRoam21 - 2011-12-22 1:12 PM
I tried Opera Mini and it worked until I restarted the device. All traces of it are gone.

Put the Opera Mini folder in the \Flash Driver folder, and it'll stay there after reboot. If you want to keep the shortcut link, see here for a workaround:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0127.asp

Substitute Flash Driver for each instance of NandFlash.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 6:30 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
As an aside, since this notebook has no restore function, it's probably not a good machine for a child. If it gets bricked (meaning that some kind of user-tinkering prevents it from starting), it will stay bricked.

Jake
 Top of the page
BigRoam21 Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 7:35 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well what types of apps or games can I put on there? I have ActiveSync installed on my xp pc and they're playing nicely so far. I really would like to run java or flash type stuff but it doesnt seem to work. Neither does youtube, skype, or flash nor any other windows ce app, plug in, etc.. I saw a few threads. any where in specific I should look?
 Top of the page
BigRoam21 Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 7:39 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Really sux that there is no 'user-friendly' support for this device. I think it's cool and could me very marketable for "pre-teens" with the right platform. and they seem to be relatively inexpensive from Xhina. I smell venture
 Top of the page
BigRoam21 Page Icon Posted 2011-12-23 7:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Btw, I copied Opera Mini shortcuts throughout the file system and copied all of the program files to the Flash Driver folder. Thanx CE Geek and All of you!

Oh there's an edit button. Oops.

I'm slow. Its the California air.

Edited by BigRoam21 2011-12-23 7:48 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 28