x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Android on Jornada 720?

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
arlex Page Icon Posted 2011-12-26 9:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi everybody, Merry Christmas!

Does anyone know if it would be possible to have Android running from CF card on Jornada 720? Did anybody try this?

Thanks!
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-12-26 11:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I dont know about android... Maybe you could use jlime
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2011-12-27 11:22 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thecatmilton - 2011-12-26 6:42 PM

I dont know about android... Maybe you could use jlime

Thecatmilton, thanks for answering.

Nevertheless, I am interested in particular on Android, I have a Smart TV that can be remote controlled by Android phones or iPhone and I thought that Jornada with Android might have a chance, it would be nice to use the keyboard.....But as long as nobody tested Android on Jornada.......
 Top of the page
LX Kiddie Page Icon Posted 2012-02-03 2:23 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The real problem is that the J720's processor is a dinosaur, even compared to the oldest android phones.
 Top of the page
miroslavus Page Icon Posted 2012-02-03 12:53 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

206 mhz is not enough to run android maybe just some of those first versions but it would be very laggy and applications would not working.
 Top of the page
meolo2002 Page Icon Posted 2012-02-04 11:30 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

in my opinion i'm having a lot of satisfaction with windows for handheld.. incredibly more than with my old htc tytn.. i don't know why but i've find more interesting programs for this s.o. than other...
ive tried jlime but leaved after ten minutes because too slow..what are the application that you need? (gaming,math, office...)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-02-04 12:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Another problem with using android on it would be the screen size. You won't find many apps that work comfortably at HVGA.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-02-05 10:20 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thank you everybody for answering!

The application I am interested to run is called LG TV Remote which is available for both Android and iPhone, but not for the Windows Mobile smart phones of which I have one. Like the Windows Mobile segment does not even exist! I thought it counts for about 15% of the smart phones market, while iPhone has about 22% and Android something similar. So, if my memory served me right with these figures, I don't see much difference, hence any good reason on why LG didn't bother to write this application for WinMob as well. Oh, well.

Anyway, the application is not very sophisticated, it brings on the screen two large main remote control buttons and sometimes a keyboard for inputting text to the TV internet browser and other smart TV applications. And here I see the advantage of using a hpc keyboard. (Unfortunately LG didn't install any drivers for an external keyboard to be attached to their smart TV line.)

Having this TV Remote application used for such a slow purpose I am not so sure if the speed of the Jornada processor really counts. Or i.o. Jornada, maybe a faster hpc like the NEC Mobile Pro 900c might come into discussion? Of course the hpc must be able to use wifi to communicate with the TV.

P.S. I've been running several versions (2.2 to 4.0) of Android on my Asus eeepc, but didn't manage to have the LG TV Remote application fully running, it stumbled when pairing with the TV. I've been reading that several Android phones (like HTC) have the same problem, while LG and Samsung Android phones are doing it all right.
So there is anyway no guarantee abfront that running Android on a hpc would allow me to use this LG TV Remote.

Edited by arlex 2012-02-05 10:47 AM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-02-05 11:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Well it all sounds like a very very long shot.

If you really need Android with a keyboard your best bet is the Asus EEE Pad Transfromer. But then does the app work on a Honeycomb tablet? At least it's not as much of a long shot And if it doesn't work or you don't like the tablet you can always return it to the store.

What I don't understand is why it's using WiFi but not Bluetooth? If it uses WiFi for this app I am pretty sure the TV can't use WiFi to connect to internet at the same time, unless it has two WiFi chips. If it uses Bluetooth then why would it not support Bluetooth keyboards? I don't get it.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-02-05 4:59 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

takwu - 2012-02-05 6:22 AM

Well it all sounds like a very very long shot.

Yes, you are right takwu, buying the so called Smart TV looks like a very very long shot....:-( Coming from the windows pc user environment, I was expecting to have something similar in performance but in one unit and running fully out of the box...But it looks to be too soon....

If you really need Android with a keyboard your best bet is the Asus EEE Pad Transfromer. But then does the app work on a Honeycomb tablet? At least it's not as much of a long shot And if it doesn't work or you don't like the tablet you can always return it to the store.

Fact is takwu that I was trying to sort out this problem with the available hardware I already have in my house. About the tablet, somebody else said that he would rather use the tablet itself for direct web navigation i.o. doing it via the Smart TV which is sooo slow...Besides that the tablet has no hardkeys.
The LG TV Remote works only with Android 2.2 or 2.3 I guess, can't speak for the higher versions.

What I don't understand is why it's using WiFi but not Bluetooth? If it uses WiFi for this app I am pretty sure the TV can't use WiFi to connect to internet at the same time, unless it has two WiFi chips. If it uses Bluetooth then why would it not support Bluetooth keyboards? I don't get it.

He, he, this is one of the many misteries of LG...Can't tell if the streaming via wifi works well at the same time with this remote application.
Generally speaking, I have noticed that both the Smart TV and Media Players manufacturers are using wifi i.o bluetooth and I think this comes from the limited capabilities of their Linux OS.
Btw, I know very little about these proprietary Linux OS' and the architecture of these new machines, but I wonder why the computation capabilities are so low when talking about web-browsing and social network applications. What is consuming so much of that power so that one cannot have a decent speed web-browsing. My old Asus eeepc is 10 times faster with probably a similar processor. My question stands for both Smart TV and Media Players, both categories are equally bad at the browsing speed.

Edited by arlex 2012-02-05 5:00 PM
 Top of the page
miroslavus Page Icon Posted 2012-02-05 5:27 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

i thing resolutin isnt problem cause there is a lot of phones with resolution 320x240 and that might work on hlaf screen.i have xperia mini and that has HVGA display but its 480x320.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-02-06 5:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Is that the LG Smart TV with a Wii like remote? I tried that before in a store, didn't think it was that slow, but obviously not as fast as an x86 PC. I guess they don't include a very powerful general CPU in it; most of the TV functions I assume are done with specific chips, therefore the CPU is really an extra component in smart tv, and they probably don't use an expensive one. Plus other things like amount of RAM and bus speeds are costly and affect browsing speed too.

I still use an XP Media Centre PC, but only for recording shows. My old TV unfortunately doesn't have HDMI or PC input, so my PC is connected via S-Video I can only browse at 800x600, and it's not that fast either.

Edited by takwu 2012-02-06 5:34 PM
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-02-07 5:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

arlex - 2012-02-05 5:20 AM
The application I am interested to run is called LG TV Remote which is available for both Android and iPhone, but not for the Windows Mobile smart phones of which I have one. Like the Windows Mobile segment does not even exist! I thought it counts for about 15% of the smart phones market, while iPhone has about 22% and Android something similar. So, if my memory served me right with these figures, I don't see much difference, hence any good reason on why LG didn't bother to write this application for WinMob as well. Oh, well.

Hm, it looks that I was wrong about those figures. I recent report that I've found says that for the last quarter of 2011 Android phones were accounted for 57% of the market sales while iPhone was doing 34%, in total over 90%. So no wonder there are few developments for WindowsMobile. The smart phone market represented 68% of all mobile phone sales.
Now I see differently the decision of LG, it doesn't suit me, but I understand it......

Yes, takwu, that's right, it's the LG Smart TV with a Magic Motion remote (Wii like)....Entering text with that remote is slow compared to touch-typing and browsing the internet is also slow compared to a normal pc.

Edited by arlex 2012-02-07 6:00 AM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-02-07 10:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

arlex - 2012-02-06 9:54 PM
. . . recent report that I've found says that for the last quarter of 2011 Android phones were accounted for 57% of the market sales while iPhone was doing 34%, in total over 90%. So no wonder there are few developments for WindowsMobile. The smart phone market represented 68% of all mobile phone sales.

Careful with statistics like these. It's sales in one quarter - it does not represent the entire active user base, which means all actively used devices. Those numbers represent smartphones bought in the last quarter, which is a small portion of all smartphones being used today. When developing apps you should look at the later not the former.

However it does represent the trend or shift of the user base. So if you're looking at a long term development you do look at the trends.

Smartphone penetration world wide is around 27%, I read somewhere, obviously it being lower in developing regions and higher in developed regions. But I guess you could argue LG targeted that TV in the developed countries.
 Top of the page
psinix Page Icon Posted 2012-02-07 6:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Does anyone know if it would be possible to have Android running from CF card on Jornada 720? Did anybody try this?

Nope, the Jornada has 32MB of RAM, Android needs at least 64MB. And with those 64MB it would be utterly unusable due to low memory (if it starts up), every android development device I heard of has at least the double amount of that.
I'm not even sure there is StrongARM machines out there with enough RAM to run android... need at least enough machines to motivate a coder to port android.

If you really need android you'd be better off with buying a cheap device (currently around 80-90€) or wait a bit for android to emerge on raspberry pi, I'm quite sure that will happen as support for the cpu is already given.

Edited by psinix 2012-02-07 6:49 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 14