x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux and Android coverage

takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-02-09 8:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I noticed there are several threads in the Linux forum discussing how to install and use Android on the CE6 netbooks.

It would make sense if there are some guides written on the main site for such popular topics. However I am not sure how C:Amie and staff feels about covering Linux and Android on the main site.

I took a quick look and there has been one review on JLime Donkey, by Charles Hague in 2007. So does that mean it's something HPC:Factor could get into?

In one of the threads, the author didn't get a lot of response, so Rich explained this is mainly a CE website and gave links to several Android websites.

I feel that if HPC:Factor can include, as a subsection, more information about Linux such as JLime and Android, specifically only those that are installed on CE machines, it might attract more users, and cross-over the communities.

It can benefit CE community. For example a lot of CE6 netbook users are switching over to Linux or Android. But if they stay on this website, they are still exposed to the CE community, and might participate or even switch back; on the other hand, if we let them go to other websites, they might never come back.

I have not been in the Android community, but I am not sure if there's a website or forum that specifically deals with the issues of Android installed on Windows CE machines.

I understand the ideals that HPC:Factor likes to remain CE centric, and that introducing other communities here can be a distraction. Case in point, the Pocket PC community can easily overshadow the CE contents here if we introduced it (yes the PPC:Factor joke still reminds). However I believe the "Android on CE netbook" community is small and relevant enough to HPC:Factor that it should be covered here with full support.

That's all and I wish for the best
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-02-09 8:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I agree, nothing wrong with covering all your bases and all the topics, especially since the hardware is so interactive with all of the various operating systems, all so alien to one another.

When I make a comment about this being primarily a CE site, it isn't that I am trying to discourage that discussion, it is more that I am attempting to explain the lack of response to inquiries in so far as no response isn't because we are being "snooty" or "uppity," rather it is that for some of us...we just don't know the answer...as we are not proficient in the non-Windows CE OS.

Of course a few here are exceptionally brilliant in Linux and Android, while I myself am something of a retard in both.

Just this week I ordered my first 8650 Android tablet...I cannot wait to get it and explore the OS and see if I will choose to stick with it...or to go with CE of which I am comfortable, or maybe even go with Linux and see what happens.

For me, CE does everything I need it to do in a computer, but I like the idea of those two-touch points that I see on Android...plus I got a hankering to play Angry Birds which I see on TV all the time....
takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-02-09 8:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hahaha Rich, you can play Angry Birds on PC too...
chrome.angrybirds.com

Yeah I know the bit about we don't have the answer. That's why I think if the main site features related contents, people with those answers might come and help.

I also want to add that obviously JLime has it's own forums, so I am talking more about Android and other Linux, or whatever JLime issues not covered on their website.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-02-09 10:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

takwu,

If you are wrilling to write this content, we'll happily accomodate it. The community cannot look towards me to do this though, I simply do not have the time, or frankly the interest in writing it.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2012-02-10 6:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

That's great... but well it's not gonna be me, cos i haven't the experience. however i'll keep my eyes peeled if someone on the forums would like to do it. And if I find a good deal on these machines there's a chance I might do it

Thanks for the support!
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2012-02-11 1:36 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I agree that this would be very useful and sort of reintroduce windows ce to the public. I also think a windows mobile section would be awesome too!
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-02-11 3:43 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Only if it's about getting the core CE shell up on WM devices.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9