x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Web browsing in a 720

1 2
James
James Page Icon Posted 2004-11-02 1:49 PM
#
I want to browse the net with my Jornada 720 (or my MobilePro 790) with my wirelss network at home but neither machine wants to. I know the network card works because i can log on my office Citrix server and use that quite happily but i want to have the option at home of just being able to use the internet on my palmtop.

The card is a Enterasys Networks wireless netowork card.

Is it possible to browers the web using the Jornada 720 or MobilePro or am i wasting me time?

thanks

James
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-02 2:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

James,

Yes it is possible to do it. You have to get your DNS, WINS (possibly) and Gateway sorted out. As well as your security et al.
 Top of the page
James
James Page Icon Posted 2004-11-02 3:45 PM
#
I thought i had - i shall try again!

Many thanks
 Top of the page
James
James Page Icon Posted 2004-11-03 12:25 PM
#
still no luck - am i doing something stupid?
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2004-11-04 8:53 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

James,

Can you give in detail what you are doing/configuration so I can help you sort it out?

Thanks,
 Top of the page
James
James Page Icon Posted 2004-11-05 3:54 PM
#
sure, what do you need to know though? (although been using WinCE for ages ive never done networking!)

Must get around to regestering as well!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-05 4:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi James, welcome to the forum.

I'll just jump in here so perhaps you can have some info for Clint when he's next about.

If you can provide information on your current network layout, make and mod of the network adapters (driver and firmware version) and the router / WAP. How your internet connection is fed to the network (Router, Microsoft ICS, Proxy Server etc).

Some basic info about your LAN's IP assignment, IP Range, subnet mask, DNS, and Default Gateway.

Also what you have and havent tried doing already. There's no sense in writing out things you've already tried.

Is SSID in use? How about WEP?

etc etc etc
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 7:35 AM
#
(A.K.A. James)

I am using Enterasys Networds Networkcard, WiFi, 802.11 DS High Rate wireless network card
The RoamAbout software, Version: 1.02

The Nework hub which all the wireless network goes to is Belkin 54g one

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Sec...

802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router

Part # F5D7230uk4

which the broadband cable is plugged into.

An interesting point to note is that the actualy network has never work on the wireless newtork it has only been used for internet access which it normall works fine on with my laptop (which is what i nam using atm)

Everything like the IP addresses is set to be set up automatically - however even when i eneter everything in manually it doesnt work. Could this be because i cant find the WINS address and WinCE needs this?

WEP is the data encryption right? Yes it is in use and i have enetered int eh code. The machine finds the network and sets itself up on it but just doesnt do anything!

Ive tried setting it manually, (correctly i think ) but to no avail.

Could it be it the card doesnt work with my network?
If so is there a driver for the Asus SpaceLink WL110 for the Jornada or MobilePro? as i still have this, virtually unuesed

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 7:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'll leave the above for Clinton.
However the WL110 'may' work with the Compaq drivers. While it's for the WL100 not the WL110 have a look at wallythacker's thread, they may still work:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=123&post...

You can get the compaq drivers out of the support section here at HPC:Factor.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0006.asp
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 8:58 AM
#
H/PC Elite

James,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

From a hardware perspective, everything you've described looks good.

I'm assuming based on your post that your DHCP is being provided by the 80211.G Router/Gateway. If that is the case, when your CE device gets an address, are you able to go to another PC and ping that IP address? If it can, then you know the card is talking to the network and that your security settings are correct. I know you said it is setting up correctly but this will double-check everything.

Lastly, if you are getting an IP address and other devices on your network are seeing the device, soft-reset the CE with the network card in it. I know, I know... sounds hokey-pokey but some of these devices wig out when you put the card in after the fact. Let it all come up-to-speed then try to go surf.

Chris' points are good too. If the above doesn't work, verify the drivers.

Top of the page
Jimny33 Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 11:56 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Cool thanks - i shall try that over the weekend and get back with the results thanks for all your help!
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 2:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Not a problem. Hopefully you can get it working and keep us up-to-date regardless.

Also, document, document, document! That way if you have to reinvent the wheel you have a bloody blueprint!
 Top of the page
Crunchy Frog
Crunchy Frog Page Icon Posted 2004-11-08 1:12 PM
#
I am having the same issue but worse.
I bought the same wireless NIC for my 728 and the software is terrible. It never did locate my Linksys wireless router which is an 802.11b. It just endlessly searches and never even times out. I also think this Etrasys card can only run 64 bit WEP even though the card can do 128. I installed it in my XP laptop and it worked so I think it's just lousy drivers from the card maker and I doubt they will be putting out updates anytime soon.
I sure wish I could use my Linksys wireless card. Does anyone know a card that runs good under CE?
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2004-11-09 10:09 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I sure don't. Chris? Do you know by chance if there is a generic driver for the Linksys card?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-09 11:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Linksys, don't talk to me about Linksys.

They've never been entered into the HCL for the simple reason that none of their drivers seem to work.. at least 90% of the time.

The Enterasys card you're mentioning has Pro and 2000 drivers in the HCL... if you're having issues with them... according to a list provided by takwu (thanks for that) if the card is:
CSIBD-AA is may work with the Orinoco drivers
CSICD-AW-128 there's a chance it will with the Orinoco drivers
or
CSIBD-AB-128, I've no idea what chipset it is... so I guess Orinoco drivers are the way to go if you wish to try a different file.

You can get them in the HCL too.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9