x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Registry Mods on Windows Mobile 5

[Frozen]
Frozen
gguerra Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 3:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I don't know if this the right place to put this message but here it goes.. If this topic was addressed previously I apologize.

ON a Motorola MC 9000 series, RFID Handheld Computer using Windows Mobile 5.01.0146. The enter key is not acting as it should> when pressed it acts like a "Save and Exit" instead of a simple enter/return.

For example when I startup Word Mobile, enter some text and then hit enter key, instead of going to the next line it saves the files and exits Word.

I found this in the manual

The default behavior of the Enter (Return) key sends an extra character, which causes a 
Microsoft Word or Notes application to exit. To make the applications work properly, create 
a registry file with the following entry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\KEYBD\#KeyKeypad]
"SpecialEnterTabKey" = dword:0
where #keyKeypad = 28KEY, 43KEY or 53KEY (i.e., the number of keys on the keypad). Copy
the registry file to the \Platform folder, then cold boot the mobile computer.

Well I attempted to do this but there is no \Platform folder on the unit. There is an \Application folder, so I tried that and cold booted and nothing. Still the same behavior with the Enter Key..

Anyone?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 4:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hi,

This is kind of a Windows CE place, though many users have dabbled in WinMo, I'm sure (I have a custom WinMo 6.53 running on my HTC TP2). Perhaps someone here will answer, but I would suggest taking this to xdadeveloper's. To me, that site always struck me as the most experienced.

Jake
 Top of the page
gguerra Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 5:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the reply. It is not a smart phone, it is a hand held computer/scanner. looks like this

This device also runs other OS's including Windows CE and PPC. It is used in business environments to collect data.

This may be the wrong forum ??
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 5:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Intriguing device--didn't Psion have a similar form factor? I will defer to the resident experts here (Rich Hawley has owned, at one time or another, most every handheld device known to man, and CE Geek is not far behind, and there are many others more-informed than me).

Jake
 Top of the page
gguerra Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

There was at least 1 other thread on this forum about this device which is how I found this forum in the first place..

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10904&start=1

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 5:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

For the record: CEGeek and C:Amie are miles ahead of me in all areas of expertise...except in the area of turning good handhelds into bricks.

And I have not owned near as many handheld as CEGeek...just maybe more Mobilepros

Probably two ways you could do this...

1) create a simple registry text file, i.e. something named enterkeyfix.reg. The file would look like this:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\KEYBD\#KeyKeypad]
"SpecialEnterTabKey" = dword:0

Then using something like Tascal Registry Editor, you would simply import that file into the registry. After soft-resetting the handheld, the key would from that point on work like you want it to.

Or you could do this:

2) simply use a registry editor and edit that registry entry by creating a new key and dword value in the appropriate registry location. That too should work.

However, the first method is probably better because if you ever need to reload that registry entry, then it is already done and it is simpler to import a key than to recreate it. That is assuming a cold or hard reset restores the registry to a factory default state.
 Top of the page
gguerra Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 7:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the reply Rich

As I understand it, the way to modify the registry on this device differs from a standard windows setup (read quote below). There is no registry editor built in as far as I know. A 3rd party util may or may not be available.

This is from a product manual available online. The only problem is that it applies to Windows CE and NOT Windows Mobile. I still do not know hot to update the registry on Windows Mobile

RegMerge.dll
RegMerge.dll is a built-in driver that allows registry edits to be made to the Windows CE Registry.
Regmerge.dll runs very early in the boot process and looks for registry files (.reg files) in certain Flash
File System folders during a cold boot. It then merges the registry changes into the system registry
located in RAM.
Since the registry is re-created on every cold boot from the default ROM image, the RegMerge driver
is necessary to make registry modifications persistent over cold boots.
RegMerge is configured to look in the root of two specific folders for .reg files in the following order:
\Platform
\Application
Regmerge continues to look for .reg files in these folders until all folders are checked. This allows
folders later in the list to override folders earlier in the list. This way, it is possible to override Registry
changes made by the Platforms partitions folders. Take care when using Regmerge to make Registry
changes. The SDK contains examples of .reg files.
Regmerge only merges the .reg files on cold boots. The merge process is
skipped during a warm boot.
Typically, do not make modifications to registry values for drivers loaded before RegMerge. However,
these values may require modification during software development. Since these early loading
drivers read these keys before RegMerge gets a chance to change them, the mobile computer must
be cold booted. The warm boot does not re-initialize the registry and the early loading driver reads
the new registry values.
Do not use Regmerge to modify built-in driver registry values, or merge the same Registry value to
two files in the same folder, as the results are undefined.

Still trying to find an answer. I'll give it a couple of days to see what happens..
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 7:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Sounds like it is even simple then since there is a utility to make the registry change for you.

Create the .reg file as I mentioned above...it is a simple text file with the file extension of .reg instead of .txt.

Then create a folder on your device, naming it "platform" at the root level.

Copy the .reg file you created into that folder. Perform a cold reboot/hard reset. Realize that you will wipe out any installed programs during that process and the machine will be back to factory specs.

Nice that the manufacturers created the regmerge.dll as part of the OS so that you would not have to recreate the registry after a cold reset. Evidently the "platform" folder is stored in part of the persistent ram area that doesn't get rewritten when you hard reset. Or perhaps it is in a non-volitile memory partition. You should be able to locate it...though it may be hidden and you may have to make it visible.

But, if you didn't make the folder and such...you could still import the registry using Tascal Reg Editor.

This would actually be a better way to do it if you already have stuff installed on your device and don't want to wipe the memory.

You could copy the ARM version of Tascal Reg Edit to a memory card along with the .reg file you created and manually import the the registry entry. Whether it is CE 3, CE4, CE5, CE6, the principal is the same and the registry is too...
 Top of the page
gguerra Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 7:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich

1st of all it is not CE it is Windows Mobile 5.01.0146. I am assuming that they are somewhat similar. I already tried creating the reg file, created a Platform folder copied the file into it and did a cold boot and nothing... no changes.. BTW there was no platform folder, I had to create it. So as per the instructions I also tried the Application folder, still no results. All of this has to be done with Active Sync, there is no built in way to do it directly(that I know of). You can install and run applications on the device but I think they have to be compatible (to an extent) in order to work..I looked in to the Tascal Reg Editor it seems it has not been updated since 2005. I do not know if will work.I will try it and post back. It may be a couple of days (monday) since I am out the door (leaving work). Thanks again Rich

Oh and almost forgot, what is the ARM version of the Reg Editor?

Edited by gguerra 2012-03-16 8:11 PM
 Top of the page
gguerra Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 8:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok Rich

Downloaded and installed the Tascal Reg Editor and worked like a champ. Took all of 10 minutes.. Forgive my ignorance. Thanks a bunch.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 9:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Just for future reference, Windows Mobile 5 is based on Windows CE 5.01 (thus the build number you give above). The Windows Mobile interface is set up on top of the Windows CE 5.0 core. I've never had one of these devices, but there are some similar ones that run the core version of CE 5.0 instead of WM 5. It's basically up to the device manufacturer which OS license it wants for the device.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2012-03-16 9:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Way to go, you guys

Jake
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.375 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 26