x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PLEASE PLEASE Help! WinCE4.1 .net

blinky1004 Page Icon Posted 2012-04-02 12:09 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok.. im at a loss here, and have been directed to ALL YOU GURUs out here.. i have been glued to the computer since friday night and its now sunday evening and my wife is going to kill me.

I Bought a fleabay special "Advantech MPC-100e" WinCE 4.1 .net tablet.. no docking station..
So... i have read alot now about these things. GOD ONLY KNOWS how ANY company could have ever used this for anything, unless they had special software and accessories custom for their company. All i want to do on this thing is have some APRS programs to run on it, have web capability over my home WI-FI, and some other simple programs installed..

So here is the problem i run into.. First of all, i am a genious at Desktop Windows PC's, but when it comes to this WinCE, im lost. Although i have learned a ton of info this whole weekend. WHY CANT I CONNECT THIS TO MY DESKTOP over serial port.. i tried a straight thru db9 cable, and then i cut that brand new cable to wire it as a null modem cable. I tried remote desktop both ways, i tried "com sync" in the network settings in CE, i tried the BTSerial as well.. i tried everything. no version of activesync will find this device on COM1 over serial.. so, why did they even put that function on this device. i tried it on a Windows XP machine, and tried Activesync 3.1, 3.5, 4.5 and some others, but no dice. I tried remote desktop and tried entering the name of the computer i want to connect to, just like it asks, but the second you hit ok, it says cannot find the remote computer.. not even a pause while it looks. so i imagine something is not right.. i matched the port settings to 19,2 and 115,200 , neither worked..

Next is.... i downloaded a bunch of programs FOR Windows CE 4.1 .... none of them installed... i moved the CAB files directly, and they proceeded to install, and then it made no icon on the desktop or in the menu and when i went into program files, double tapped, it says error, cannot find specified files or library.
BOTTOM LINE is i havent got a WinCE 4.1 program to successfully install.. i tried a bunch too.. i even tried a pocketPC version, it says this is not a valid pocket pc blah blah..... UUUGGGHHH!! so maybe WM progs will install under CE? maybe i have no idea, but i have messed with Pocketpc before, and i have a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, upgraded from 6.1 ... have no problem there.. But heres the question.. without activesync, how do you install the programs onto this thing when it doesnt find it. some programs i tried installed like a normal WM ap, then says the next time you sync it will be installed... but it WONT sync..

WHAT IS PLATFORM BUILDER!!!??? I tried downloading microsoft WinCE 4.1 updates for this thing, it says all in one update package.. i double click, it says "you do not have platform builder installed" and i cant seem to find where to find it. But i dont know the first thing about bulding a platform, so am i misunderstanding the meaning of "Platform builder" or is it a developers tool that i would not know the first thing about. is there such thing as a "windows update" or SP update for this WinCE device? or do you have to go into the registry and build custom image files or whatever..

Can i flash this image with a new ROM or image, maybe WinCE 5.0 or 6.0? can i update to a Android? i know i cant run Windows 95 on an Arm/xscale processor, but it would be very cool if it worked. That would be way better than Windows CE, unless i have no idea what im doing. So far ive only successfully used a usb flash disk to transfer some cabs that never installed anything. Can you understand my frustration??
I know i am working with a dated piece of equipment, please dont tell me to go buy a brand new thing and junk this, because there are people out there working with a Jornada winCE2.0, so mine has to be much better than those right?

Thanks so much. Blinky1004@gmail.com
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2012-04-02 4:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I got one of these tablets awhile ago. You cannot upgrade them or run any other OS (at least, not without a very large amount of work that probably nobody has time for).

You will need a Windows CE compatible wireless card, if you don't already have one. There are a few cards that happen to plug into the device's built-in antenna, although that's not necessary. Once you have that, I did get Opera Mini running.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16427&st...
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15982&st...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-04-02 6:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Why didn't you mention RedGear, isotherm? That (or some imported DLL files) will make lots of programs work.

Executability Check will give you clues as to what you need to make a program work, blinky1004. Get it (and the DLLs you'll need) here:

http://hpcmonex.net/izemize.htm
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 26