x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

bongomeno Page Icon Posted 2012-05-16 9:17 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone. I just got one of those 7" netbooks on ebay for $74! It was a great deal and the computer does everything I expected. The problem is the lack of available software for it. Until I found this forum, the only program I could get to work was the putty terminal.

I had a few questions I was hoping someone here could answer.

I know this has already been posted, but I cannot get dosbox or pocketdos to work. Even Qemu doesn't work for me. When I run Qemu, it just gives me an error after a few seconds saying my memory is full and I need to adjust it, but I cannot seem to adjust the memory slider. Has anyone had the same problem? I would REAALLY like to get my dos applications running on my netbook. This would allow me to run my Tiny Basic, and PROSEED interpreters! Or pretty much anything else that is not too graphical.

Also, does anyone know of any free languages/ide/interpreters/etc that run on the actual device. It seems like there should be at least one BASIC interpreter out there. I know that a few that exist, but they are either too old to work or cost over $100. If there is not, then I think it would be a good effort to work toward porting or creating some kind of BASIC language for Windows CE. I just downloaded Pelles C for windows and its executables seem to run fine on my machine, but there is hardly any documentation or examples available. I will be spending some time learning how to program the WIN API so I can eventually try and come up with my own BASIC for CE. This just seems a bit overwhelming because I have only used C to program the Gameboy and the Atari.

Any helpful info on getting DOS programs to run and programming on the 7" netbooks is highly appreciated.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-05-16 10:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It works fine...here you can see the Caldera version of DOS running on my WM8650 7" netbook.

The problem is that you have to manually copy over the CAB installation file to install it since the netbooks don't Activesync with your desktop. Also, since the netbooks have a newer CPU version that what the CAB file is looking for, you have to edit the CAB file from Arm/XScale cpus to ANY cpu.

You do that for both the Caldera CAB file and the PocketDOS CAB file. Then copy them to the netbook and run them...you can then run nearly any DOS program in full VGA mode without any problems.

The bottom picture is me playing Mario on it...a little slower than on a true DOS machine, but still playable...

(pocketdos.jpg)

(mario.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pocketdos.jpg (144KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments mario.jpg (281KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
bongomeno Page Icon Posted 2012-05-17 6:32 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Oh okay, but how do I change the CAB info?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-05-17 9:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Use a program, such as OCP Cab Manager. Search HPCFactor and you will find lots of posts about it or MSCEinf...

Also check out http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0049.asp
 Top of the page
bongomeno Page Icon Posted 2012-05-17 1:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ahh now it works great! I also did the same for PocketC and Pocket Scheme! Now this thing is a powerful tool for me. Any kind of games that are graphical run too slowly to play, but other programs run quite well. Qbasic is very usable as long as you avoid certain things like graphics. I like to have Qbasic or at least some form of BASIC on all of my computers.

Thanks!
 Top of the page
wkt Page Icon Posted 2012-05-17 2:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Allow me to make a remark.

I just ran my first DOS-emulated test program under the
pDOSBox emulator on my 7 inch wm8650 chinese netbook
under Windows CE 6.

I could download it in a .zip file and simply started the .exe
without any hack necessary.

Now I lack some nice DOS programs... (
Where can I get them. A BASIC interpreter would be fine to test.

Edited by wkt 2012-05-17 2:29 PM
 Top of the page
bongomeno Page Icon Posted 2012-05-18 6:28 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

You could try my little attempt at Tiny Basic for DOS. http://www.freewebs.com/geekbasic/TINYBAS.zip
Otherwise, Qbasic runs well on mine. http://www.qbasic.com/games/Utilities/QBasic11.zip
Also, here is a nice little Text Adventure made in Qbasic. http://qbasic.parkdalien.com/homes/qb/QBGamesDirectory/B/breathpira...
And more Qbasic Text adventures. http://www.freewebs.com/geekbasic/MAGIC.BAS http://www.freewebs.com/geekbasic/HH.BAS...

You won't have much luck running any graphical games it seems. I will just use it for writing interactive fiction style adventures haha.

Edited by bongomeno 2012-05-18 6:36 AM
 Top of the page
wkt Page Icon Posted 2012-05-19 8:29 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

@bongmeno

Thank you so much for the links. TINYBAS and QBasic run under the pDOSBox I use now
Also almost all .bas programs start.

This emulator is simply a miracle ! I digged out some 25 years old diskettes with a DOS
installation of the MAPLE V R2 mathematics software product.
I installed it under pDOSBox on my 7 inch wm8505/wm8650 netbooks and add some images
of the succesful start of Maple under Windows CE.

(maple2.jpg)

(maple4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments maple2.jpg (89KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments maple4.jpg (51KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.185 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 29