x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MobielPro 900 Sync to Windows 7 PC? If so, How?

ErnieY Page Icon Posted 2012-06-06 4:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I am tempted to buy (again) a MobilePro 900 for notetaking during meetings. I used to have one several years back. Does anyone know if the device can actively sync between itself and a Windows 7 PC? If so, what version of Acivesync and what drivers do I need? Where can I get them?

Ernie Y.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-06-06 6:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You can file transfer with WMDC using the drivers in H/PC:Update (under support). You cannot sync to outlook though unless you use XP Mode.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2012-06-08 11:24 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Why not just stick Linux on it and transfer files the old fashioned way: as a USB storage device. You will squeeze so much more functionality from that device with it.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-06-09 11:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Why Linux? You can use it as a USB storage device under Windows 7 essentially. You just can't sync your contacts and to-do list and calendar thingies unless using it in XP mode...
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2012-06-12 11:58 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2012-06-09 11:19 AM

Why Linux?
Why not? The software line up is much larger and more up to date, the user interface is better looking and to use than Handheld PC 2000, and it does not need a desktop machine accompanying to use it to its full potential. Its a no-brainer.

The only downside I'll admit to is that I haven't gotten it to work yet. That was in March though and since then Linux (specically Bodhilinux) has become my primary OS and with a little patience I can't imagine an install now would be too difficult for me.

Edited by Paspie 2012-06-13 12:02 AM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2012-06-13 1:37 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Beware mission creep. I took notes happily for years using Pocket Word (saving in RTF) and either a USB drive (MP900) or a CF-USB reader (with the MP790). But I didn't need sync and didn't use it for PIM.
 Top of the page
ErnieY Page Icon Posted 2012-06-13 7:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks, PC Philosopher. I am still interested in acquiring a Mobilepro 900 IF I can get my notes from te MP 900 to my Windows 7 computer. You indicate your have been able to using a USB cable on the MP 900 or a CF-USB reader on an MP 900C. Could you elaborate on how you did both? I just want to use one of these devices for notetaking at meetings and conferences. Thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2012-06-13 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It's pretty straightforward for me (Rich and C:Amie are referring to a process which I haven't tried on the MP, but have used with my MP3 players). I plug in my USB memory stick (thumb drive, key drive, etc.). When I save my file, I just select that drive (it's called Storage, I think, it just becomes second nature). The issue is when you forget your USB memory stick ;-) and can't easily transfer. The other way is to use a CF card in the the CF card slot (although you could also use the PCMCIA slot with an adapter). The transfer then needs a CF --> USB reader (I have several cards and readers from my photography).

The USB route is also inelegant because the drive sticks out ;-) but that's remedied by the really small USB storage devices now available. The USB only a 1.1, but for note-taking (you're looking at 100 kB as a huge file), it's fast enough. It also allows me to transfer files to any computer with only the usual security issues (putting your storage device into an unknown, err, slot ). Of course, it's not any more so than making sure you have the correct cable. The temptation for mission creep comes in with music (not a problem), recording audio (not really a problem), playing games (umm, yeah, I get paid to do that...), looking at photos (not a problem unless you want to look at files significantly larger than the screen, oops... that's almost everything these days), and want to watch a movie (DVD Catalyst is your friend, but you're going to have to be reasonably dedicated). Internet... not a good idea unless it's an emergency.

My MP isn't used alot now (although I'm tempted to return to it just to shave off a pound and few cubic inches) because I use an atom-based netbook.

As you might have guessed, I don't have alot of time to really play with the equipment. That's not to say that I don't (it beats working ), but it's solidly in the "fun" category. When it comes to note-taking at meetings and conferences, wasted time and energy is more important than money. But YMMV.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10