x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sylvania 7" Smartbook CE6

[Frozen]
Frozen
Run_Length_limited Page Icon Posted 2012-07-17 12:23 AM
#
Avatar image of Run_Length_limited
H/PC Newbie

Howdy All!

I found this nifty 7" netbook device at a local electronics store for $50. I thought that windows CE would probably be a drag, so I thought I would try flashing the OS with Android (via the instructions found here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15078&st...) and now the darn brick won't even boot, SD card or no SD card. Just a black screen. Tried pressing and holding the reset button on the back to no avail. Is there any way to get this device booting again? (Or maybe it is booting and the video is just shot.)

Thanks for any advice.

Run Length Limited
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-07-17 6:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The only thing to do is to reflash CE 6 back on it. We have the Sylvania ROM here in H/PC:Update:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/update/
 Top of the page
Run_Length_limited Page Icon Posted 2012-07-18 1:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hmm. I reflashed it with the sylvania update and the update seems to run just fine. Only thing is when I pop the SD and reboot, I get the infamous black screen. Am I missing something?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-07-18 4:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Which model is yours, the SYNET7WID or the SYNET07526? (I believe the ROM we have is for the former.)

Top of the page
Run_Length_limited Page Icon Posted 2012-07-19 6:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the models. Someone went over the "model#" on the bottom with a sharpie.
 Top of the page
Run_Length_limited Page Icon Posted 2012-07-19 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I took the sharpie off and it says "SYNET07526" but I bought it "refurbiished" so I have no idea what may have been done to it. It did seem to be working fine before I bricked it.
 Top of the page
Run_Length_limited Page Icon Posted 2012-07-19 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So at great length and after much fiddling and restores with different images I was able to restore the device to working condition with the image from the Sylvania site. http://www.sylvaniacomputers.com/product.php?id_product=41 . It seems that I am going to have to get used to WinCE because it appears to be the only OS that this device will run.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-07-20 5:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The processor (WonderMedia Technologies WM8505) does support Android (though older versions like 1.6 or 1.9), but people have had mixed results flashing Android on it. Personally, I don't like using Android on a non-touchscreen device. Anyway, you might be surprised how many Windows CE apps are still out there that you can use (and how many things they can do), including a lot of Windows Mobile apps. Have a look through the Windows CE 6.0 forum on this site for some ideas.
 Top of the page
Run_Length_limited Page Icon Posted 2012-07-20 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks CE Geek! I will definitely peruse the wince board. It seems that some people have had some measure of success with Debian (http://www.yourwarrantyisvoid.com/2011/07/25/cvs-netbook-revisited/) and there is even a distro called "Bento" (http://bentolinux.org/wiki/vt8505/wm8505/debian) directed at these little clamshells. Well anyway, time to see if I can mess it up again. Thanks for the encouragement!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-08-13 10:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Run_Length_limited - 2012-07-18 12:45 AM

Hmm. I reflashed it with the sylvania update and the update seems to run just fine. Only thing is when I pop the SD and reboot, I get the infamous black screen. Am I missing something?

Was the 'script' folder you used to Flash the Sylvania update still on the SD card? If you don't rename the folder, it will always try to flash upon boot. The netbook reads the SDCARD/script directory for that.
 Top of the page
Rippel Page Icon Posted 2012-10-17 5:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I tried to put the Android on it and got the famous black screen. I put the CE6 back on it and it's working like a charm again. I would love to see if someone can get the android working on it and can share their experience here.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-10-29 2:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I have had Android on mine. I installed Android 1.6---trying to remember what I used, but I did have access to the Google Play (Android Market). Some annoyances I fixed--i.e. the watermarking. But the experience I didn't care for as much. Plus I had bought SoftMaker Office 2010 for my Sylvania Netbook, so I thought--may as well use my money's worth..
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-10-29 2:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I still say Android is no fun without a touchscreen.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-10-29 3:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hahaa! That too! It was annoying to use--plus the apps were all stretched. Android 1.6 is increasingly deprecated now and even the apps that still run don't gel with me--I prefer exercising that form factor--and CE does this well. I'd be intrigued to give Linux/BSD/whatever a go though, perhaps..
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10