x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is the HP Jornada VGA Out card only compatible with the Jornadas?

aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-31 10:32 AM
#
H/PC Elite

My Jornada 720 came with an HP VGA out PC card, does it only work on the HP Jornadas or other brand HPCs too?

Is it worth keeping? It doesn't seem to sell too well on eBay but many handhelds I bought came with many CF/SD/PC cards and I'm trying to sort which I want to keep and which I want to sell.

The only reason I'd can think I'd ever want it is if I take my HD video projector to a friends house and want to use my Jornada 720 to play a movie on the projector, it can do that right? Would the Jornada struggle to play a movie at the higher resolution (what res does it output anyway)?

Doesn't the MobilePro 790 have a video out? But then again at 168mhz it might struggle with video.

Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-07-31 10:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The video out cards are funny beasts. They only display the native screen resolution of the hpc, i.e. 640x240 normally. But a few special applications are written to give full 800x600 resolution, such as Powerpoint presentations.

And as you say, the larger screen taxes the cpu and slows it down considerably.

The 790 has a video out port and doesn't require a video card...but it too will suffer speed degradation with hi-res images. Back in the 1990s I used to use my 790 with the vga cable adapter and use it to display my presentations in college on it with a projector. Worked really nice and easy.

BTW, the HP video card will work with other devices, you just have to install the drivers for it.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-31 11:24 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm quite sure my projector wouldn't support 640x240 which is anything but standard. Are there video player apps that can output 640x480 or 800x600?

Do you think it's worth keeping the card? Even if the MP790 is too slow for video, I might end up getting a MP900 again so I wouldn't need a vga card to output video and it has a much faster CPU.

But if I can't play 640x480 or 800x600 video using the card then I have no use for it.

Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-07-31 1:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I bet your projector would work fine as the video out signal is VGA, 640 x 480...it is just that only 640x240 of the signal is displayed. No video apps that will increase the output.

The MP900 uses the same video out cable as the 790, 780, 770 Mobilepros...again no card needed.

Most people have little or no use for the card. These days you can buy a memory card with a built in remote control for displaying any PPT presentation and it doesn't cost all that much.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-31 4:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I see, so it outputs 640x480 but shows the image centered in a 640x240 area? With my projector being HD/widescreen, that means it would make a "square" 640x480 area within the widescreen, and then another super wide screen in the centered "square", leaving me with under 20% of the projectable area in use if you're following what I'm saying. I think I'll list the VGA out card on eBay even for $0.01, what do you think?

I have the VGA adapter for the mobile pros, it even fits and outputs color on the MP700.

I can only assume you made some sort of mistake when you said "you can buy a memory card with a built in remote control". I'm just trying to imagine an SD memory card with a built in remote control, and even if such a thing existed even though it makes no sense, how would that allow you to display PPT presentations? Did you mean a projector with a built in card reader perhaps? I already have the projector and anyway I'd rather not limit my projector choices to those with built in card readers as that severely limits your options.

Thanks

Edited by aab 2012-07-31 4:13 PM
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2012-07-31 5:22 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hmm when I insert the VGA card a systray icon appears and when I double click it I can choose 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768 for the output res!

Unfortunately I don't have a VGA cable to test it, but would it be able to play video at 800x600? Or do these settings apply only to powerpoint presentations?

Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-07-31 6:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Someone else jump in...not sure I remember correctly. On the Mobilepro machines, it only displays SVGA using certain applications, such as Conduits Pocket Slides. On anything else it is strictly HVGA.

I can't remember what it does with the HP PCMCIA card...

Used to be we had standard NEC large screen projectors in our classrooms. They had a VGA input port. So I would take my Mobilepro and plug it in and give class lectures using a slide show I made up..just flipping between the slides using the spacebar. It worked fine as long as I didn't try fancy transitions and such.

Then we got a bunch of Samsung 700 DXn monitors which were 70" screens that replaced our overhead projectors. Much clearer and we could use them with the lights on. Anyways, they have Windows XP embedded built into them. All I had to do then was just plug in my PPT presentations on a USB drive and they would automatically run.

The university I worked for gave each of the instructors a Kensington wireless presentation thing...basically a wireless remote controller with a built in 2gb memory and a green laser pointer. We could then take it with us from class to class as we needed it.

Actually I looked on eBay and there are wireless controllers for PowerPoint pretty cheap these days. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Presentation-Powerpoint-Remote-Con...

But you would need a computer to use it with in conjunction to your projector. Luckily our LCD screens had it all built in, so no additional computer was necessary.

And a lot of projectors these days have this built in PowerPoint capability, such as the AAXA and Optoma projectors. But except in the larger lecture halls, we use the LCD screen and not projectors any longer....

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8