x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sony GC85 EDGE card

ntware Page Icon Posted 2012-08-14 5:28 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi friends! Here I am again. When I think Im out of this adictive hpc circle I see myself buying another toy again... =)
Recently I bought a NEC mobilepro 900. I always had jornadas because of the size, but now I wanted to give the mp900 a try. The first thing I did with it was update it to WinCE 4.2, using the superb Cmonex ROM v2.0 transforming it into a 900C"monex".

But my frustration started when I tried to use the Sony GC85 PCMCIA EDGE card. On my jornada 720 with HPC2000 it is detected out of the box. It seems that WinCE 3 already has drivers for it. I just need to configure a DialUp connection and that's it, I'm online. Before updating the mp900 to wince4.2, I tested the card and it was recognizing it properly too. Actually, sometimes it was having some trouble with the card, but I think that maybe was some bootloader problem (I hope that it's not a PCMCIA slot problem). But now, with WinCE4.2, when I insert the card, WinCE shows me the dialog asking for the driver and doesn't matter what I try to do, WinCE doesn't show the modem on the DialUp configuration menu. At least, with the HPC2000 installed before it was showing the card properly.

I'm planning to downgrade to HPC2000, but still using the 4.10 bootloader and see if my card is detected. In case it is, I will need help to identify the driver that HPC2000 uses and copy it to WinCE4.2 to make it work. Do you guys have any idea of how to accomplish that?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2012-08-14 7:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I downgraded to HPC2000 but it didnt help much. Now its behaving very weirdly. Sometimes the system detect the card perfectally, with the correct name, and sometimes it doesnt detect the card popping the driver dialog as ce.net did. Also, when it detects the card and I try to connect, I receive some random errors that vary from not being able to open the port or hanging until I press the cancel button. What can possibly going wrong? Is the nec completly not compatible with the GC85 Card? Is my pcmcia slot with problems? I know that my card is working properly because I use it on my jornada without any problems.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-08-14 8:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

On most pcmcia cards the power pin has to make contact first, otherwise the card will fail to be recognized. That is why they are normally longer than the other pins in the slot. Try inserting the card very slowly and see if it makes any difference...
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2012-08-15 11:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

When I try to put the card slower on the slot, trying to put the Vcc pin first, it seems to get recognized faster. But Im curious why it never happened on my jornada. And also, I still can't connect on mp900 even on HPC2000. Even if the card get recognized properly, when I try to open the dialup connection it says "oppening port" forever, and sometimes it gives me an "could not open the port" error. Im sure that the configs of the dialup are exactly the same Im using on the jornada. Is it possible that my mp900 pcmcia slot has some bugs? Anyone with a mp900 and GC85 card can help me test it out? Does it work good with mp900 + hpc2000?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2012-08-17 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It seems that my pcmcia slot is broken. Im sending the nec back to its seller and try to get another one.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-08-17 8:14 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi ntware, I have an mp900 running cmonex2. The GC85 card is not recognized automatically. Inserting it I've got the message "Unknown card in Socket 2". So it looks to be nothing wrong with your mp900 or your gc85 card.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2012-08-20 12:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

But anyway it should work on HPC2000, right? When I downgraded to HPC2000 it was recognized sometimes, but never worked completely to connect
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2012-08-20 7:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

ntware - 2012-08-20 7:38 AM

But anyway it should work on HPC2000, right? When I downgraded to HPC2000 it was recognized sometimes, but never worked completely to connect

I guess GC85 should work all right on the MP900 with HPC2000 if using the right native drivers. You said the card works OK with Jornada, didn't you.
Unfortunately it is unlikely that I will downgrade my MP900 to HPC2000, I've bought it already flashed with cmonex2 and I am avoiding to learn all the way to flash such an old HPC, my spare time is very short. Sorry for not being able to help you this way. But if I can help you with tests on the current CE4.2 cmonex2 no problem, go ahead and ask. Nevertheless please note that I will be away for the next 4-5 days w/o access to this forum.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10