x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Mobile pro 780 and WiFi

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
B1u3Dr4g0n Page Icon Posted 2012-08-27 1:14 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

What is the best card to use on this thing...I have read so much and still have to many choices, which has the least problems or is the cheapest...PLEASE help me
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-08-27 4:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Hardware Support

Others here may have their own opinions, but I vote for the Agere ORiNOCO Classic (or its predecessor, the Lucent ORiNOCO) on all counts - it's inexpensive and not particularly hard to find, and it works virtually problem-free on lots of H/PC Pro devices, including the MobilePro series. (I don't recommend the later version under the Proxim brand name - it hasn't been shown to work consistently on H/PC Pro devices based on our members' reports.) Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agere-Systems-Orinoco-Gold-Card-Model-PC24E...
 Top of the page
B1u3Dr4g0n Page Icon Posted 2012-08-27 5:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

So that one would work for me?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-08-27 8:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No doubt. (Of course, you'll need to install the driver, which we have available for download on this site.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-08-27 12:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I second the recommendation...
 Top of the page
B1u3Dr4g0n Page Icon Posted 2012-08-28 1:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Right on...Im buying 3 different ones so something will work...lol one will rule them all ...WPC11 VER 3 and ORINOCO CLASSIC GOLD PCMCIA 802.11B 8410...and im gonna buy the one we talked about....I have read ALL 3 will work so ....lets see which works the best for me here....they were 10$ each so why not...lol I only paid 30$ for the all most NEW LOOKING condition MP 780...so...you see what I mean...peace

AND THANK YOU ALL ...... Who responded

Edited by B1u3Dr4g0n 2012-08-28 1:40 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-08-28 8:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Good prices, but I suspect you'll have less luck with the 8410 (which is a Proxim build) and the Linksys WPC11, which a lot of people here have struggled with.
 Top of the page
B1u3Dr4g0n Page Icon Posted 2012-08-29 10:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Now im gonna need a cf card or the cable to get the drivers on the 780 right? or am I missing somthing....down load it to my desk top puter then put it on the 780?

ONE more question also.....I found this on ebay....can I use this to give my 780 a usb port? http://www.ebay.com/itm/300634458383?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trks... ..sorry dont know how to do a link yet on here...peace
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-08-29 11:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, you can't. The title of the listing notwithstanding, that's a (32-bit) CardBus card and not a (16-bit) PCMCIA one. No Windows CE device has ever supported CardBus cards. The serial cable for the MobilePro series is identical to the one for the Casio A and PA series (A-10, PA-2400U, etc). It shouldn't be hard to find; however, you can transfer the files on a CF card. You can also sync via infrared if you have an infrared adapter for your PC. (If the PC doesn't have an IR port built in, you can use a USB IR adapter.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-08-30 1:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you choose to obtain a serial cable, understand that you need a serial port on your desktop, or if you only have USB ports on your computer, you need a USB to serial adapter as well, prefereably something that is PL2303 compatible and has drivers for your operating system.

I prefer installing files via Activesync and using a cable as it is far easier. Plus you have the advantage of easily synching your contacts and other PIM data to your Mobilepro.

Also because some programs decompress in the temp folder and are harder to get to and self-delete when you exit the installer program. On the other hand, I have nearly every program that you will ever run for the Mobilepro on my website for download already in cab file so it then becomes a simple matter of copying to a CF memory card and sticking it in your Mobilepro.

As far as infrared, not all infrared USB devices are recognized by Activesync...most of the cheap ones don't work well often. That leaves you to opening a direct irda data link not through Activesync and requires a bit more knowledge and skill than simply plugging in a cable and having the thing work.
 Top of the page
B1u3Dr4g0n Page Icon Posted 2012-08-31 3:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2012-08-30 1:31 PM

If you choose to obtain a serial cable, understand that you need a serial port on your desktop, or if you only have USB ports on your computer, you need a USB to serial adapter as well, prefereably something that is PL2303 compatible and has drivers for your operating system.

I prefer installing files via Activesync and using a cable as it is far easier. Plus you have the advantage of easily synching your contacts and other PIM data to your Mobilepro.

Also because some programs decompress in the temp folder and are harder to get to and self-delete when you exit the installer program. On the other hand, I have nearly every program that you will ever run for the Mobilepro on my website for download already in cab file so it then becomes a simple matter of copying to a CF memory card and sticking it in your Mobilepro.

As far as infrared, not all infrared USB devices are recognized by Activesync...most of the cheap ones don't work well often. That leaves you to opening a direct irda data link not through Activesync and requires a bit more knowledge and skill than simply plugging in a cable and having the thing work.

WOW...ok..thank you Im on the prowl for a cf card now ...or

Would a sd to cf card adaptor work for a 780?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-08-31 7:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It should; however, bear in mind that the 780 won't recognize SDHC cards, only older SD cards.
 Top of the page
B1u3Dr4g0n Page Icon Posted 2012-09-01 12:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I would of never thought it would of been this much work to get this online wireless....thanks
 Top of the page
B1u3Dr4g0n Page Icon Posted 2012-09-16 1:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Where would the drivers be for these cards i have on this site? Iv looked around and found nothing....any help would be wonderful..THANKS
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-09-16 4:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Click on the tab at the top of this page that says "Support and Tutorials"

Then on that page click on the link to the "Hardware Compatibility List"

On the next page, accept by clicking "Yes"

Then on the next page where it says "Please Select Device Type" go and select "Networking/Wireless Network Cards" and "Go"

Now there are 9 pages of wifi cards listed alphabetically...find yours...for instance, the Lucent Orinoco Gold card is listed on page 5. If you click on ORiNOCO Gold (802.11b) under the device name column, it will take you to the page to download the drivers for your version of Windows CE, which for the Mobilepro 780 would be CE 2.11, and you would want driver version 7.82.881 as listed at the bottom of that page.

Anyways, clicking on that will take you to the actual download page, where you can download the CE211_v7.82.881.zip file.
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9