x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

dusty_dex Page Icon Posted 2012-09-27 10:47 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

When the embedded version of Windows 8 (RT) arrives, will there be a forum on HPCF?

or is Win8 RT a completely different platform to WinCE?
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-09-28 7:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, very different. If we discuss it here, it'll be in the Off Topic section.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-09-28 9:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Unless a whole new generation of Jornada sized clamshells arrives, I think it unlikely. The interesting thing is that with this the Windows CE and Windows NT code lines really are blurring, so there would be scope for it in the future. As CE Geek says though, not quite yet!

The other big issue is that it would effectively drown the H/PC userbase in a sea of Windows 8 and that is not why they come here.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-09-28 1:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It's not Windows CE...it's not HPCs, not even pocketpcs...not nothing. Let's not even go down that road...unless we can make it run on our handhelds...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-10-23 3:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds like a challenge Rich
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2012-10-23 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Is RT supposed to be instant-on? I read that it will have the full Office 2013, but I haven't seen any information on boot times.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-10-23 5:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes they are so long as the ARM chip has all of the C-States implemented correctly. If you have a Qualcom or Intel chip you should be good to go, no promises about imitation knockoff's.
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2013-03-01 4:05 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think an rt forum is a great idea.

It's where I'll be going next, lots of scope for small devices clamshell, tablet etc. For me HPC's are not quick enough anymore as the web gets ever more complicated and a logical progression before too many members go else where would be considering RT forum. It'd be good to have somewhere with like minded people to discuss.

CE is gone. Now windows phone is running on the NT kernel (wp8) and apparently the NT kernel performed better on the ARM cpu than the CE kernel did. So now there is no phone at least requiring a CE kernel I'd suspect CE will not be updated ever again.

Yeah it's pretty much instant on RT (unless cold booting - but ce is same if you run battery out) it's got a great touch screen OS. Finger friendly and loads of info in the live tiles. For me a logical progression from my HPC devices. Also since the recent update RT on the tegra 3 is supposed to feel pretty nimble and snappy

John

Edited by mr-mac 2013-03-01 4:06 PM
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9