x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Mobilepro power adapter

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-09-30 5:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Power adapters for the Mobilepro 770, 780, and 790 take part number S1424-21A. That is an adapter rated at 9VDC and 1A current delivery. They take a larger current output in order to provide enough energy to charge the battery. If you use a 9V adapter with a lesser current rating, you take the chance of permanently ruining your LION battery where it will not charge to full capacity.

One of the common problems with people who buy a used Mobilepro is that they think there is something wrong with it when they plug in a third party AC adapter. A common symptom is no video, yet they can hear the screen taps. If they remove the battery and run directly off the AC adapter, it appears fine. This is just one instance of a power adapter not supplying enough current to both charge and run the Mobilepro simultaneously. This will normally happen when the AC adapter supplies around 800mA or less.

Again, this is not always true as some adapters are measured at continuous current, while others only brag about max surge current outputs. If you buy an AC adapter for your older Mobilepro, you would do well to purchase the official NEC power supply. If that isn't feasible, because they are rather expensive, even used, then make sure you get one that supplies enough current to do the job.

One that I am purchasing should fit that bill. I am ordering it from eBay HERE.

I'll let you know how well it works when it arrives next week. Here is a picture of it:

(snap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments snap.jpg (41KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-09-30 7:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's a standard power adapter for the newer CE 6 netbooks, so if it works, it's good to know since those are less expensive and easier to find.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-10-06 6:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Got them in the mail yesterday, plugged in a totally depleted 780 and let it charge up....adapters fit plug and work perfectly! Very inexpensive way to go! Good adapters for older Mobilepros.

(adapter1.jpg)

(adapter2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments adapter1.jpg (229KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments adapter2.jpg (182KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2012-10-08 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Actually, Rich, the 790 takes a different adapter: the MC-BA6A. I've run into this previously....the adapter for the 790 won't work in a 770 or 780, because they take the s1424-21a. If you look at the MP 780 & 790 data sheets on NEC's site, it lists those parts as "Additional AC Adapter" in the "Optional Accessories" category.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-10-08 8:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yeah, I've seen the different part numbers in the past as well. I often wondered if this was because they were actually different, or if it was a marketing strategy. I don't really know. Maybe neither, perhaps just different catalog numbers for inventory control.

I do know this however, I've used the MC/BA9 batteries in the 790 without any problems for years, even though they were made for the 780. Of course the MC/BA14 batteries won't fit in the 780 because of the slot guide size is different. I also know that the replacement batteries that Laptopsforless sold were 2000mAh batteries and marketed for either the 780 or 790. And if you look at the specifications at the end of the user guide for the 780 and 790, you see the same exact electrical specs...as shown below.

Anyways, I tried these new adapters on both a 790 with a BA14 and a 780 with a BA9, and they work great in both cases.

(780.jpg)

(790.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 780.jpg (36KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 790.jpg (59KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-10-29 10:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I just used my MobilePro 790 with my Sylvania 7" Netbook adapter! Works great! I guess I just didn't put two and two together to interchange them. I'll still use my official NEC MC-BA6 though--I like that one as the cable is longer than the CE6 netbook one. But great to know in case it's lost!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-10-30 8:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

With all the devices I have (some lacking their own power adapters), I've learned a few cross-compatibilites. In particular, most of my 5-volt devices can use the same adapter.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-10-31 6:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I just wish all of my 5V stuff could charge via USB! I tried to retro-fit what I could--the PSP and Nintendo DS for instance. I'm just happy my MobilePro should be okay. I was worried what would happen if I lost its adapter..
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-01 4:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I hear you there. I recently picked up an iPAQ 3715 cuz I like the built-in camera, and I like that you can charge it via USB. A few of my CE 5 devices can charge via USB as well: my JoinTech JE100 tablet, my Flytech POS234, and of course my Mintpass MintPad (can't charge that one any other way).
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-11-01 5:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh yeah, I got an HP iPAQ charger for my iPAQ rx1950 from Rich, and I figured out that the USB cable I bought to charge my PSP works with my iPAQ! The only problem is I'm anal about every device having its own charging/sync cable.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-01 7:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I was too at one point, but my device collection's a bit too large for that now.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2012-11-01 2:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hhaha, yeah. I just went through a process or re-organizing my cords. In the past, I had this philosophy that each device's power cable go in a universal area. Now, I decided to use logic--each device I have has its cord stored with it too. Now it's less of pain to deal with! lol. By the way, sad as it may be, the only USB chargers I've had not conk out on me are my Apple ones--plus those carry a full amp, Amazon's are like 0.85. My Nook One is about 2amp and can charge my battery guzzler in an hour..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12