x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NetBSD, Intermec 6651?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-23 7:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks....

Tried changing to root level directory....same issue with HPCBoot and PocketBSD....hangs after progress bar gets all the way to the right....

Have HPCBoot and PocketBSD and miniroot.fs files in the root level directory. I don't need other files there, correct?

One thought.....in HPCBoot, for root file system I had been selecting 'sd'.....but should it be 'wd' when installing with files in root (not on CF card).

or should it be set on one of the other options (md or nfs) ?

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-24 1:17 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Do you have a serial cable for this thing? I think the next thing to try is to enable the serial monitor and watch the serial console with another device. I kind of wonder if it's booting, but not able to draw to the screen for some reason.

There's always a chance that the HC-VJ family doesn't appear because it doesn't work properly.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-24 2:17 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

What would I hook up the serial cable to? Another computer running what?

I don't think it's booting up netbsd if the Intermec is locking up and having to do a reset?

You could be right that maybe this device just won't work.....see the first posts in this thread from almost 10 years ago....so, would have been trying with a much earlier version of NetBSD.....

Thanks.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-24 2:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2023-02-24 9:17 PM

What would I hook up the serial cable to? Another computer running what?

Anything. You could use putty in Windows, or minicom in Linux, or screen or....whatever you have really.

I don't think it's booting up netbsd if the Intermec is locking up and having to do a reset?

No way to know without trying the serial port. If it's booting but can't draw to the screen, I guess it would appear to be locked up, unless there was an activity LED but I don't have a way to know if it would or not.

You could be right that maybe this device just won't work.....see the first posts in this thread from almost 10 years ago....so, would have been trying with a much earlier version of NetBSD.....

Thanks.

I saw them. If it were me, the serial port would be my next step.

You could also do what I originally did with the MobilePro and go to a contemporary version (3? 4?) and see if it's working...just make sure you grab the appropriate hpcboot in case the old ones still had support for the HC-VJ family.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-24 3:04 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Oh you know, you could also pull up the kernel debug window and see what it is saying right before the hang...
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-24 4:52 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks....

Was thinking you meant ssh or something like it....was really asking question since I was assuming that Intermec was frozen up and thus wondering how do you connect with it in that condition....

Like you suggest, it would be good to see what the debug window says...and report back.

Then try an older version like you suggest.

Maybe we can get to the bottom of this...

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-24 11:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2023-02-24 11:52 PM

Thanks....

Was thinking you meant ssh or something like it....was really asking question since I was assuming that Intermec was frozen up and thus wondering how do you connect with it in that condition....

Ah, gotcha. Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I suggest is using an external computer to monitor the serial output of the Intermec to see if anything is happening on the serial console (which you would have to enable before trying to boot netbsd).

Like you suggest, it would be good to see what the debug window says...and report back.

Then try an older version like you suggest.

Maybe we can get to the bottom of this...

Yeah keep us posted
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-25 2:39 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for info.....got it.

Will report back after I've made some more attempts......

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-27 5:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Tried v.4.0.1 this evening.....

Unfortunately, same ol' story.....

Locks up after progress bar gets all the way....

And I selected debug info in options....but don't see any window appear.....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-27 5:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

In hpcboot you can click to the "console" tab before you hit boot, then you should see it printing out some stuff while it boots.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-27 1:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

OK, thanks, will give that a try.....
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-27 3:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Here's what happened in HPCboot.

As usual, it froze up.....

Question....in HPCBoot, for root file system it has options for wd, sd, md, nts. Used default wd Or should I use other choice?

Appreciate your input.....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-27 7:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

So, looking at that I feel more certain when I say that either the boot method used by pbsdboot/hpcboot doesn't work for this device OR something screen related is hosed.

If you can, enable the serial console and monitor serial from another device to see if anything further is happening after the screen freezes.

To answer your other question, wd is probably the correct choice, but I don't think it would freeze up if you picked the wrong one.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-27 7:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2023-02-27 11:52 AM

So, looking at that I feel more certain when I say that either the boot method used by pbsdboot/hpcboot doesn't work for this device OR something screen related is hosed.

If you can, enable the serial console and monitor serial from another device to see if anything further is happening after the screen freezes.

Just realized there's no serial port on this device....

There is a USB port....would that work?

Or have a Socket Ethernet CF card.....

To answer your other question, wd is probably the correct choice, but I don't think it would freeze up if you picked the wrong one.

Thank you.....

Edited by ArchiMark 2023-02-27 8:33 PM
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-28 12:52 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2023-02-28 2:58 PM

Just realized there's no serial port on this device....

There is a USB port....would that work?

Or have a Socket Ethernet CF card.....

Sadly I think the answer to that is no. There is a serial cable for it (P/N:871–012–060) and I think you would need to have that cable to try what I'm proposing. There might be a way to do it with the USB or even an ethernet card, but I'm not familiar with it.

Let's take a step back a second. I see some hints here and there that NetBSD was working on this thing at one time...as an experiment you might try going to an even older version (maybe 3.0). Depends what you want to get out of it I guess. With the older versions you'll be in the same situation we're in with the mobilepro.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8