x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

windownCE 4.2 with PXA270 evaluation board

svcongnghe Page Icon Posted 2012-10-13 4:09 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi everyone!

I'm a begginner of embedded programming. so i'm very interesting about it

for now, i was assigned some works. my teacher give me a evaluation board, below

http://www.hitechglobal.com/Boards/Intel_PXA270.htm

so, he said to me "you learn to communicate with this board, specially touch screen..."

as i know, this processor is arm v5te, it's right??? and they must be embedded windowCE 4.2 ...

and when i set up windown CE following this link : http://hpcmonex.net/PB-setup-platformbuilderwince42cenet.exe , then it always pup-up me "it's not suiable to your version windown,....". so why ????

but i'm a beginner, so i'm very confused......

someone can guide me about everything : set up windownCE4.2, books, programming....

best regards!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-10-13 10:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What version of Windows are you trying to install it on?
 Top of the page
svcongnghe Page Icon Posted 2012-10-13 12:17 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

dear to administrator!

thank for your attention...

i'm using window 7 ultimate and i'm trying to set up windowCE 4.2....

please help me....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-10-13 12:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Try running it in XP compatibility mode with elevation.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-10-13 2:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Does he even need CE Platform Builder to examine the board?

Perhaps if he set up a serial connection with the board he could explore what is on there already? Seems that board comes in a variety of formats, basically empty, or with CE or Linux flashed to it. Maybe this board already has an OS flashed to it...
 Top of the page
svcongnghe Page Icon Posted 2012-10-13 2:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

oh yeahhhhh. i've done it. it worked perfectly

so, can you give me some books, documents or some guide to my research

thanks you so muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

best regard!
Trung
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-10-19 1:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Over simplification: Platform Builder is a klunkity contraption that one uses to build a CE OS image. It's a compiler along with many tools used to change specific settings such as the registry for drivers that are all chained together with batch files. Once you have everything set the way you want, you run an effective "go.bat" file that will build ceos.bin.

When MS added support for ROM regions, Platform Builder was further changed to build the *.XIP file for a specific region, making it unnecessary to build an entire OS image if you were just changing an app or two. You could then burn the XIP [execute in place] file beginning at the offset you originally defined for that region, tell it how many bytes to burn, and the ROM could be partially updated.

It's very complicated and brittle and worse, not well documented, at least the Pocket PC/WinMo platforms anyway. It was against the license agreement to discuss using Platform Builder in forums, but there also wasn't complete documentation for it. It was always a wonder to me that they could get it to work as well as they did. Have you searched xda-developers.com? That would probably be your best bet for information.

BTW, for anyone else who might decide to download the PB4.2 using the link posted above, Microsoft did release a trial key for it that will work for a limited time. It is widely published and doesn't violate any copyright agreements. It is HJF39-W3V4B-47HYR-2J9KH-VT24J
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.160 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 28