x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Needed: CE6 Registry File

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-22 2:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I have CE6 on my 7" GPS. I would like to compare its registry to one of the CE6 netbooks. But I don't own a CE6 netbook any longer...so if someone has a complete backup file of their registry, I sure would appreciate a copy to see what is missing on my GPS that is on the standard netbook.

I'm trying to figure out how the registry is different for the USB and SD card slots in particular, and/or see what drivers I might be missing on the GPS that I need to install to get a USB wifi stick running.

If anyone has a touchscreen tablet running CE6, I'd appreciate that registry file also.

The desktop CERegEdit format would be the easiest and best as it has the ability to compare two registries and it is very easy to backup the registry into a CEImg file.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2012-11-27 8:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich - I have the CE6 7" netbook recovery files that I downloaded while they were posted online, is this what you need? -Chuck
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-27 10:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yeah...email it to me as an attachment if you can... richhawley at ymail.com
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2012-11-28 12:28 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Not sure I can email a folder this big...isn't it like 65MB in size? Might be best if you can send me a 2GB SD card to put it on.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-28 4:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich just needs a backup file of the registry, which should be only a megabyte or so at most.

I'm having trouble generating a full backup file from my ZT-180. Both TRE and Total Commander are erroring out with incomplete files.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-28 10:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It's weird, I experienced the same problem using different registry programs to either export or backup registries from different machines. Tascal, PhM, Grundle, they all acted differently.

The desktop CERegedit was the only one that gave me consistent good results...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-30 5:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, and unfortunately I can't connect the ZT-180 to my PC via ActiveSync. (If there's a way, I haven't found it. )
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-30 10:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Why not, what happens when you connect it via a USB cable?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-30 6:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nothing. And it's not the cable, cuz that worked fine when flashing the OS onto it. I assume one or more support files for connection are missing from the OS itself, since the "Make New Connection" wizard in the Control Panel has the selection "Direct Connection" grayed out, and there's no "PC Connection" applet in the Control Panel.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-30 6:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Look at the registry, HKLM\drivers\usb and see what the key is for function drivers. All that .cpl executable does is change that value from either mass_storage_class (for when it is just recognized as an external storage device) to serial_class (which is what you need to have it set at to use Activesync). The change will be immediate, so if you have it plugged into your usb cable and using your favorite registry editor, change it...it should attempt to immediately synch.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-11-30 10:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Though I can't export the entire registry from the ZT-180, I was able to export the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Drivers/USB, and I don't see any subkeys or values within it where I can do that. Take a look for yourself - that key is below:

Attachments
----------------
Attachments USB.reg (21KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-11-30 10:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Strange, looks like the upgrade you did deleted the function client driver portion of the registry...and installed only the RT2870 driver which is the RALink wifi driver, and the Realtek wifi drivers...RTL8192cu.dll. Also it looks like there is support for the standard mass storage device drivers still there as well. This page gives you most of the standard USB registry options: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms895481.aspx

Anyways, on most all of my CE5 and CE6 devices, this is what I show in that same registry area...

You might try exporting that registry data from one of your other CE5 devices and then import it into the ZT-180. If the serial and mass storage USB drivers are in the Windows root folder, you might be able to use them to Activeync...

(ce5reg.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ce5reg.jpg (28KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2012-12-01 8:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I took a look at this key in two of my synchronizable CE 5 devices (Augen eGo and one of my Nova 5000s), and the DLL identified by both for Serial_Class is serialusbfn.dll, which is missing from the ZT-180. So it's pretty much like I said.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2012-12-01 9:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Can you import the dll back?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2012-12-01 10:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You should be able to just copy that dll to your device's Windows folder if it is non-volitile. I mean it really probably isn't important for you, but for me it would be the challenge
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 11