x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

theoak Page Icon Posted 2013-01-13 12:10 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Been a long time since I posted here. But I wanted to share a deal from newegg.com on a Sylvania NetBook.

Sylvania Netbook

Probably will be gone soon. I wish I had seen it earlier.

Anyway, I'm not affiliated in any way with Newegg or Sylvania.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-01-13 3:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Windows Embedded CE 6.0

It's become a lot easier lately to find them (and even the Windows Embedded Compact 7 ones) for prices like that. I think it's a worthwhile investment given how easy it is to customize the OS images available for these devices' WonderMedia processors.
 Top of the page
goat Page Icon Posted 2013-01-13 9:47 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Sucks, I ordered 2 @ $40 about 2 hours before they fell to $33.59.
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2013-01-13 1:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I ordered one (for $33.59 & free shipping ). I also downloaded the OS update mentioned a few threads down by torch. I used to have a Sylvania netbook with XP on it. I don't have it anymore, but remember the build quality seeming very sturdy. No flex at all in the screen. I hope that is also true of this model. If this was a mistake, at least it was not an expensive one .

The OS update is supposed to fix youtube and WIFI issues, and allow the WIFI to connect to n routers too. I will find out.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the Sylvania netbook I had came pre-installed with GOS Linux. But the WIFI never worked right in it, so I installed XP myself. With XP, everything worked!!

Edited by theoak 2013-01-13 1:47 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-01-13 1:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

theoak,

Once you get it, f you wouldn't mind helping me to get the devices H/PC:Update listing (ROM images, manuals, drivers etc) up to date and its specs http://www.hpcfactor.com/hardware/devices/specification.asp?d=239 I'd be obliged!
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2013-01-13 1:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sure thing C:Amie. The pictures lead me to believe that I get box, manual, and all. When you ask for ROM image, are you asking for which ROM version is installed? And I don't understand which drivers you want? Aren't drivers preinstalled on unit?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-01-13 2:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Any ROM images that are avaialble that are not in H/PC:Update should be added for others to get hold of. Similarly if there are manuals and supports files on a CD (ActiveSync USb driver for example) these should be added.

Not everyone will be able to get hold of a boxed device, especially as they become second hand. HPC:Factor gives them somewhere to go to get hold of the necessaries.
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2013-01-13 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

OK, I have already downloaded the OS update. It took 4 hours to download, and came with no md5sum or other way to verify the integrity of the file. So I will try to install it to make sure it works before sending it to you. I will also send the instuction pdf. It must be a newer OS update than the one you have posted, as it is 139 MB instead of 64. If I read the instructions correctly, the WIFI fix is included in the OS update. A quote from the instructions:

Note: Remember with the SYNET-7WID/ SYNET-07526 models, that you may need to conduct the
update a few times before the netbook actually takes it (why that happens is being looked into).
Sometimes the Smartbooks will not correctly update the first time. In this case you may have to reinstall
the update again. You will notice if the update has not been performed correctly if the unit is behaving
erratically or has not changed in appearance after the first update. If you have any further questions or
issue installing the OS, please contact me.

The new OS image will look different to the one you were using previously. It contains some new
upgrades including the Wi-Fi fix that allows netbooks to connect to N-signal routers. It is also more
stable.

Connecting to WIFI is simpler now. From the desktop you go to the bottom of the screen where there is
a Control button [4th button] from the start menu. Click on it and go to WIFI Configuration. From there
it’s the same as the last OS. The same instructions apply for your network setup. The only difference is
that the new OS will be simpler.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-01-13 2:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds good. I wonder why the image is a different size?
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2013-01-16 10:15 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, the Sylvania SmartBook came in today. It came pre-installed with CE6.0 build 3122. I put the above referenced OS update from Sylvania on an SD card, and installed it. It is still CE 6.0 build 3122, so I guess it had already been updated. But at least I know the OS download file is good. The md5sum for that file is 6fedfed96634dd196158a2a07c594587. I plugged it up to charge and the battery inflated like a balloon, and caused the battery cover to pop open. If it were not for the screws, it would have come off completely. I contacted newegg, and they are sending a replacement. So it will be a few more days til I can do anything with the device. The OS update file, and the User Guide (as Torch has previously posted) are here:

http://www.sylvaniacomputers.com/product.php?id_product=41

The wifif fix file is not necessary as the OS fix also fixes WIFI. Anyway, I look forward to a non-defective unit sometime in the near future.

Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2013-01-17 1:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2013-01-13 9:56 AM

Sounds good. I wonder why the image is a different size?

Sorry to mislead. That was the size of the extracted script folder. Step 6 of the OS install instructions say that folder should be 132 MB in size, and my extracted script folder was 139 MB, so I mentioned the difference because of that.

I think that maybe the install instructions have not been updated, because the link to the OS update within those instructions has a different filename, and that link does not work because of being outdated. But Torch's link is good.

Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2013-01-21 4:35 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Have a look at this,

http://dealnews.com/Refurbished-Sylvania-1-GHz-7-Netbook-for-28-10-s-h/656156.html

I live in Malaysia, how I hope I can get my hands on this.

Am currently using a HP Jornada 710 for mobile work, I access the web through dial-up using a Xircom-PCCard modem. Slow, yes, but used mainly only for my emails.

I do my web browsing on an android phone through wifi. My home wifi is already WPA2 encrypted, so am not changing it to WEP just to accommodate the HPC.

Back to the Sylvanian netbook deal, I find some reviews and comments to be not so favorable towards this netbook, hope some of you who have it could clarify on this. As for me, I prefer the Jornada for its touchscreen functionality, cos I draw and paint a lot. Pocket Artist is a very good program.
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2013-01-24 2:41 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Newegg sent an email today saying that they have received my RMA (returned defective) netbook. So I guess they will ship another to me soon. If I understand what I read about that update, it fixes youtube and WIFI problems. I will find out soon.
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2013-01-25 3:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey theoak--good luck on the return. I think you have a good chance of getting a good machine out of this lot that they are selling. I got mine yesterday and it is like new and works great. (Fingers crossed in worry of the potentially inflatable battery. So far so good here. That would have freaked me out).

H2OGuru

Edited by H2OGuru 2013-01-25 3:24 PM
 Top of the page
RRL2000 Page Icon Posted 2013-01-25 10:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've had one of the original Sylvania Smartbook's since December 2010, and it still works great for light work. Looking at Sylvania's and Digital Gadget's website, I get the feeling that this might be the end of the road for these little computers.
Kind of makes me sad. They have so much potential, but like the original hobbyists computers, you need to spend some tweaking them.

Cheers,
Rob
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.232 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11