x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

USB to Serial adapter for XP laptop?

Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-01-17 10:00 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm trying to use Window CE Services 2.2 on my Dell Latitude D410 laptop with XP-Pro...the USB-to-Serial adapter I got on Amazon won't seem to work. Can anyone recommend an adapter that will?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-01-18 4:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

They don't seem to work in XP without installing a driver. There should have been a small CD with it with the drivers on it.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-01-18 9:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yeah, try the Prolific PL-2303 driver and see if that will work...I find it is the best USB to serial driver out there.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-01-18 4:37 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think that's the adapter I'm using. I did install the driver for it, and it is attempting to connect to the MobilePro, but keeps trying and is unsuccessful. Maybe there's a setting somewhere I need to change. I'll keep trying.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-01-18 4:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Make sure you have Activesync configured to use the appropriate COM: port and be sure USB is enabled. Also try a different speed, like 15K or 19.2 or whatever....also check your device manager and make sure the port is installed properly when you plug in the adapter. It should show up under PORTS (com and lpt) in the device manager.

I assume you are using it on your MP 880?
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-01-19 7:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I was trying to connect with one of my MobilePro 800s. The USB serial converter I bought is by Plugable. It does show up in the Device Manager in the laptop. I'll have to try your suggestions, though I think ActiveSync wants me to stick with 19.2 speed. I may just locate the adapter you suggested and try that. I'm hoping this can happen, so I can continue to do backups and keep Microsoft Plus! Pack a part of the MobilePros' repertoire. It has a very sharp image viewer app. I've finally gotten rid of my old XP tower so that's not an option anymore for syncing.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-01-19 8:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well all the Plugable USB to serial adapters use the 2303 chipset, so it should work. I don't see any advantage to buying another. You might try hard resetting your MP800 however and test syncing it without anything installed on it. I've had that work many times when all else seems fine.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-04-01 11:07 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Wow, it turns out I don't need a serial connection after all - I discovered the B-Useful Backup application on my MobilePro 880s (I have two)...I just made a backup of the first, which still has all the software I'd installed, and restored it to the second, erased 880. Excellent! Now I have both 880s fully useful, plus a restore card ready to pop into them if they erase again.

I never did get the Prolific driver to work on my laptop (USB to Serial)...maybe something's awry in my laptop. Not needed now!

Chuck
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-04-02 10:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Out of interest, why Window CE Services 2.2? Why not ActiveSync?

I've had problems with cheap USB RS232 adapters and plain not working... it's a false economy, I'm convinced. Go for Belkin, it'll save you a lot of pain.
 Top of the page
neill Page Icon Posted 2013-04-04 2:50 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I keep a 6+ year old Dell tower just for syncing my legacy stuff. It has XP, and all the necessary, working serial and USB connections. In most households I guess it would have gone to the landfill long ago, but I'll keep it till it finally, if ever, dies.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-04-06 7:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I see. Nothing wrong with that, worth the jump to ActiveSync 3.8 though, same functionality, better experience.

Virtual box migration is the long term solution though - USB support pass through let's you free up floor space.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-04-19 5:37 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

For years I kept an old XP tower around just for syncing to my hpcs...finally I let it go due to overcrowding in the apartment. I can surely see why you keep one operational.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2013-04-19 5:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2013-04-02 4:58 AM

Out of interest, why Window CE Services 2.2? Why not ActiveSync?

I've had problems with cheap USB RS232 adapters and plain not working... it's a false economy, I'm convinced. Go for Belkin, it'll save you a lot of pain.

I think I do have ActiveSync around here somewhere. Would it possibly work with Vista and/or Windows 7 Starter?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-04-19 5:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Activesync ended with XP...WMDC replaced it in Vista and 7, and is essentially a similar application with a few limitations...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2013-04-20 9:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

WMDC works great on Windows 8 too. I can do limited sync with my MP790 too!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10