x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

USB NECMP900 and Win7

Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2013-02-03 4:12 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've been trying to connect a NEC mp 900, with the updated 4.2 rom, to a Toshiba laptop with windows 7 using windows mobile center. Wouldn't work automatically so I went hunting and I found a usb sync driver fix right here on hpcfactor but I'm having trouble figuring out where these 2 files from the download should go, wceusbsh and winusb.sys. Is this for the host computer or for the NEC's directory? This file was from 2007.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-02-03 4:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

They're for the host PC. In the Control Panel, open "Add New Hardware" and navigate to the folder those files are in.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-03 6:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Or you can go to the installation folder, which is normally "c:\nec\WinXP USB DRIVER" and right click on the .inf file and select install. The XP drivers work great with both Windows 7 and Windows 8. It will copy the WCEUSBSH.SYS to the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder where it will be found automatically the next time you boot up and try to sync as well as make the appropriate registry changes.
 Top of the page
Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2013-02-04 3:20 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thank you for the quick response, it's good to see there is more than just Activesync for this device. Now all we need is another OS update/change, #stillwaitingformyNECMGX
 Top of the page
Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2013-02-04 5:46 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Update:: If I try option A. which is to use hardware wizard, it does not allow me to select a folder, I'm given a list much like device manager, Remember I have Win 7.
If I go with option B. which is to install the .inf file I get permission issues that I can't get around, or change as the boxes to check are unavailable/gray.
I found this link on the subject but this appears to be a Vista problem that maybe 7 inherited, Not messing with it if I'm not sure of what I'm doing. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-04 12:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, then do this...plug in the 900 and when it says new device found and looks for a driver, direct it to the "c:\nec\winxp usb driver" folder and it should find the driver. But when you plug in the Mobilepro to the USB port, use a different USB port than you did the first time around.
 Top of the page
Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2013-02-05 6:57 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

It says all my drivers are up to date, but its still an unknown device. Funny when I switched USB ports after like you said it looked like windows mobile device center popped up on my laptop for a split second like it was searching, and then disappeared without connecting, strange. It might just be the cable ill look for another to test my hypothesis, if not its the micro usb port on the NEC which I highly doubt because I do get a generic connecting to host fail/warning everytime I plug it in. Ill keep you posted if I see anything out of the ordinary and once again thank you for the help.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-05 9:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

One last thing I have done in the past when all else failed is to hard reset my Mobilepro...sometimes that seems to have done some good.
 Top of the page
Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2013-02-19 8:53 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Did a hard reset, now the NEC won't recognize any USB connection. the stick lights up then doesn't show up as "hard disk", when connecting my micro usb cable, it signals no "connection detected" box like it did before, I even had an old usb multi-card reader that worked with an SD card, doesn't work now.. lol.. So now it has no recognition of activesync or windows mobile, no usb connectivity, screen calibration issues, and it doesn't recognize my cisco aironet 350 or even light up, even if it did I would have to convert my internet back to WEP........ I think its time to retire the old girl, she had a good run
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-19 11:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Now you got me curious...want to send it to me and see if it works on someone else's desktop?
 Top of the page
Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2013-02-20 12:19 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

It really doesn't make sense, its completely stripped down to nothing, just 4.2 and the basic windows software, and I think winwatch. It really does need a new backup battery, but I don't see how this could cut off all peripheral functions like that, but maybe i'm wrong idk.
How could I tell if its a software or hardware problem?... Install another OS and see if any functions return? Which I am hesitant to do now... Find a USB tester of some kind?.. I really don't know, it may very well be on its way to you, if I can't get it to snap out of it, I know you could probably make this thing your B*%#! in like 30 seconds!.... I'll keep you posted either way.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-20 10:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, you could hard reset it again and see if anything changes...

Reflashing is a very simple process...you might try that also.
 Top of the page
Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2013-02-21 6:30 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I got a 3v backup battery, I figured it wouldn't change anything but its nice not to see warnings every 5 minutes. I will try to reflash 4.2 cmonex, I'm dealing with desktop hardware issues right now too, I'm testing my memory with a ubuntu live disk atm, it won't boot anything, tried dban, boot and nuke, umbcd, its a friggin nightmare. I'm getting kernel panics on a windows machine, I've never seen this before in my life. Took out each part piece by piece and rebooting every time and get the same thing, I even got a DMA-1 warning from my PCI wireless card!! I DONT USE PATA or ribbon connectors lol! Weird..... I even reset the CMOS battery which I haven't done in like... 15 years. It's a disgusting situation, if I took it somewhere, they would most likely charge me $200 to fix it lol...ugh

Oh and did I mention I just bought a new HD thinking my old one was fried, and its saveable! YES! $65 bucks sort of down the drain.. But way more storage if I get it fixed. IF!

Edited by Grasshopper 2013-02-21 6:34 AM
 Top of the page
Grasshopper Page Icon Posted 2013-02-22 2:53 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

UPDATE! Reflashed the NEC with cmonex 2.0, I didn't know that I had the older 4.2 update all this time.. The USB stick now works perfectly when formatted in FAT, I can't get it to connect to windows mobile device center though, I will try to reinstall it. The PCMCIA slot is still unresponsive, I'll get to that later on, it may just need cleaned/ deoxidized, who knows maybe the card is dead. The USB working is a sigh of relief, the reflash makes all the difference in the world, so many more addons I can't believe I overlooked that old 4.1 bootloader all this time. Now if I can get it connected to a host PC and connected through WIFI I will be a happy man!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-22 10:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Don't forget that you need to have the USB drivers installed on the desktop.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9