x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ip routing between bluetooth PAN and WiFi

cybertheque Page Icon Posted 2013-02-12 10:56 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

So far I have been unable to find any online answers to whether CE 4.2 (PPC 2003, WM2003) will route IP between the bluetooth PAN interface and another interface (WiFi, ethernet) on the same machine; On a 'host' PPC with both interfaces, I have enabled IP routing (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Tcpip\Parms\IPEnableRouter=1), assigned the PAN adapter a static IP addr on a different network, verified connectivity with a 'client' PAN device on that second network, but am not able to route packets between the two interfaces on the 'host' (e.g. traffic to or from the PAN 'client' is not routed).

By default, the O/S assigns 'link local' addresses to the PAN adapter, but they can be changed to routeable addresses in the control panel; is this a clue that routing is disabled for the PAN interface?

All insights appreciated.

Michael

Edited by cybertheque 2013-02-12 10:56 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-02-12 11:22 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Check whether you have compatible network configurations (IP adresses and network masks).

Edited by Alt Bass 2013-02-12 11:22 AM
 Top of the page
cybertheque Page Icon Posted 2013-02-12 12:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Sure: WiFi: DHCP lease 192.168.1.15: netmask 255.255.255.0; PAN adapter: 192.168.2.230 netmask 255.255.255.0; default gateway 192.168.1.1; PAN adapter on 'client' PDA 192.168.2.231 netmask 255.255.255.0; default gateway 192.168.2.230. on 'client PDA': ping 192.168.2.230 rtt=35ms; ping 192.168.1.15 rtt=37ms; ping 192.168.1.1 (or any other IP addr on 192.168.1 or any other network) no reply.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-02-12 12:58 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yes, you have NOT compatible network configurations. Change your netmask to 255.255.0.0.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-02-12 6:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Not sure I follow your thinking here Alt Bass, by reducing the mask length you will put the two physical networks onto the same logical network... you cannot route between the same network?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-02-12 7:09 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

>by reducing the mask length you will put the two physical networks onto the same logical network...

Isn't this the actual purpose of IP routing?

He is trying to ping the computer from the different local network.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-02-12 10:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The purpose of routing is to move between networks not inside the same network, by putting everything on the same network it forms a broadcast domain inside a contigious network with two interfaces on the same network, if you send a packet to an IP address on the network the machine will either not know which connection to send it to or will send it to both. He has enabled routing, not switching.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-02-13 4:14 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I might be wrong, but isn't the access to different local network prohibited by standards? I guess that there is no way of accessing 192.168.* machine from the different local network, is there?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-02-13 7:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Cross network = Routing
Cross the same network = switching

When a machine has two directly connected networks on the same network it has to send to one of them as the routing metric and administrative distances for the directly connected networks will be the same. In most networ implementations what it will actually do is load balance because it assumes that the same machines can be accessed via the same network; equal path load balanacing if you want to look it up. It will sent the first packet via network A (wifi) and the second via network B (PAN).

Net result, no traffic.

Both the WiLAN and the PAN need to be on different networks (as was originally confugured). All hosts on the PAN need to use the IP of the router device as it appears on their network as their default gateway, all hosts on the WAN need to use the IP of the router on their network as their own default gateway.

If routing is then truely enabled, it should just work in this example assuming the locally connected routing table has been populated (one assumes it has).
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-02-14 3:14 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for elaborating, I apologize for illiteracy.

What's the problem then? Does cybertheque need to add routing entries?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-02-14 10:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It suggests that something is wrong with it if it cannot route between its own sub netorks. I suggest trying vxUtil, exploring via ping and the routing table.

I am assuming that a Piconet is being used and that all addressing and gateways are correct.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9