x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-02-13 5:19 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hello,

me again. Just got this card recognizing GPRS and was surfing a little without trouble.

But I am having big problems getting this card to work with ANY hotspot @ home. I´ve tried all tricks I´ve found in this forum but no chance.
It even doesn´t recognize my HTC Hotspot (No Wep, Infrastructure, Automatic channel), which my Netbook ALWAYS finds.

Cmonex mentioned some "hidden" dropdown AP menu, but unless I have screenshot of that I sure I´ll never find it.

Could someone help me please?
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-02-14 2:26 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I still have no luck connecting to Wifi G hotspots, although they should support B standard. Why is that so? Theoretically it should work, but i never get connection. Have tried every possible combination...

Has somebody got a clue or trick?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2013-02-15 12:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Some cards can't find hotspots until you're literally about 10cm away from the WiFi router. Try that maybe?

In my case, it worked when getting close.
Hope it helps.
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-02-16 1:55 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Doesnt seem to work, but thanks for the hint. Might come in handy some other time...
 Top of the page
tõnna Page Icon Posted 2013-02-16 4:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

D211 WiFi wouldn't work on Jornada and probably any other hpc2000 machine. Use forum search, there was topics with this.
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-02-16 6:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It DOES work, and it works on the J72x. But I only got it to work on 11mbit. I don´t want to sacrifice everyones bandwith in the whole household just for one tiny handheld...thats the trouble. Since G standard is generally backward compatible my router supports simultaneous o9peration of smartphones (b standard) AND desktops. But the card would not connect to the router when he is in "G" mode, no matter what I try (WEP, no security, etc.).

Thats really annoying.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-02-16 8:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

woolfman is right. I had a D311 (the US version) that I used on my 728 until I upgraded to 3G.

If you're connecting to a WiFi router with an 802.11b card, the router has to be set to combined B/G mode, not G mode.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-16 8:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've been reading this thread and then read the HPCFactor article on the card: http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/nokia/d211/

You've confirmed that the card does work if you lock your wifi router into 802.11B mode. But if you set it in 802.11G mode, it doesn't fall back and connect to your Jornada.

My home router has those settings as well, actually I can select to "B" mode, "G" mode, and "B & G" mode. Some people prefer "G" mode only to lock out those people who might try to connect with slower devices. So I guess my question is this: Are you selecting "Both B & G" mode when you set your home router speed?

Exactly what model is your home wifi router?
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-02-17 1:33 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

This is my router:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR340GD

When I set it up via Browser it says that in G mode it will support both standard at the same time without further settings (there is no separate "B/G" Setting in the Router.). Thats why I am so puzzled...it works with any cell phone with medntioned settings. But the D211 doesnt connect.
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-02-17 12:53 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I noticed that the Firmware of the Modem must be 3.23, as the D211fw.bin is shown with that number in the registry.

I wonder if there is a newer version out there (heard of a V4.0)? Has someone probably a firmware update (download thru Nokia isn´t possible anymore).

Suppose I might get the G working with that...

Edited by woolfman 2013-02-17 12:53 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-17 1:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Another question: After reading the user's manual on your router, I see the default channel it uses is channel 6. What channel is your D211 using?

I see no reason why you should not be connecting from what you have stated...it is an enigma to be sure.

One possible solution: Buy a simple cheap 802.11B access point that you could use in conjunction with your existing router on another channel.
 Top of the page
tõnna Page Icon Posted 2013-02-17 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

After the argument, that D211 on my J728 would connect to WiFi, I grabbed my D211 and started to experiment again. Whatever settings I tried, it didn't. I use Linksys WRT54G router with DD-WRT software and it shows, that my card is in the air, searching but it wouldn't connect. But when I connect it to my laptop, everything works...
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-02-17 2:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2013-02-17 1:36 PM

Another question: After reading the user's manual on your router, I see the default channel it uses is channel 6. What channel is your D211 using?

How can I see that without the HPC connecting to the router? I am confused....
My router is set to channel 3, which has the cleanest signal (lots of wifi around me).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-17 3:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm not familiar with the D211 as I don't own one...however, most wifi cards allow you to select the channel during the setup and store that information in the registry.

Often you can edit the registry and manually change settings. Not all wifi cards covered all the channels available...though since that is a newer card than many of the old ones I use, then I have to think that it is not an issue unless it were trying to search for a signal on a channel not available.

Further reading on the internet shows me that you are not alone, that there are problems connecting the D211 with many 802.11G routers, even though they are set for both B and G modes.

You might try some other access points and experiment and see if it is only your home router, or all routers that are giving you this problem.
 Top of the page
tõnna Page Icon Posted 2013-02-17 5:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

You could force d211 use specific channel as ->Manager window->Profiles->(select your profile or create one)->Edit->WLAN->Advanced and there is Channel: Automatic or choosable channel. But as you see, your card would automatically choose router channel by SSID
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.214 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10