x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Runnin' on empty . . .

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-02-22 7:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've been working on rebuilding a few CE 6 netbooks by combining working parts from several ones with issues that I've picked up over the past couple of years. During the process I've swapped around the battery packs from them, and quite honestly can no longer recall which one was from which unit. But something else interesting has developed out of this: the two netbooks I've successfully rebuilt thus far do not recognize the power levels left in any of the battery packs. Both read the power level at 0% even on a fully charged pack, and one of the two won't stay powered on for more than a minute because there's an automatic shutdown written into the ROM for when the power gets too low. (That's the Sylvania ROM that does that.) But since the other one doesn't shut down (and doesn't even give the low battery warning), I decided to see how long the packs would last before running down. So I disabled screen dimming and backlight-off functions and left the device powered on, with minimal if any use. Two of the packs each ran between 5 and 5 1/2 hours before the battery ran out and the device turned off. The entire time the battery meter in the system tray had one bar (indicating low power level).

Usually, an improperly calibrated battery pack will register some power level, even if a low one, doesn't it? Can the system recalibrate the battery level, or is this a hardware issue? Is there a way I can make these netbooks properly register the power level in these packs?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-22 10:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Curious...when you plug it in, does the power thingie in the control panel show "charging?"
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-02-22 6:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The Sylvania one does - it says 100%, but of course once I unplug the power supply it immediately warns me that the battery is too low and that the device will shut down in one minute. The other one says absolutely nothing under both "Main Battery" and "Backup Battery." And the battery level indicator in the system tray on that one still shows one bar even while connected to external power. (One exception: one pack shows a question mark on that tray icon instead of any bars inside the battery symbol, whether plugged in or not.)

I'm thinking that the motherboard doesn't read these packs properly, cuz I don't have any problems with these packs when I try them in my stock Sylvania unit. I believe that the motherboard is not the same one that I'm using inside the "rebuilt" Sylvania, even though it accepted the reflashed OS fine. I don't know if the issue can be addressed through software on the device or whether it's a hardware issue that is specific to these motherboards.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-22 7:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If it works in one machine and not the other...then it is definitely some type of unique feedback coming from the battery and some incompatibility with the motherboard I would think.

Also, do 3rd party battery checker/monitoring software show the same results?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-02-24 5:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I haven't checked this, because I've always assumed they draw the information from the Control Panel and thus would show the same thing.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8