x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE-compatible USB WiFi dongle on eBay

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-10-22 7:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hmmm...maybe I didn't say that very well. He is looking to use a USB wifi stick in his CE6 car radio by inserting it into the USB slot. What I was saying is this:

1. These USB wifi dongles for CE don't seem to have very good antennas built into them. You will see a lot of comlaints about their poor reception because of this. Now imagine it being used inside of an automobile, surrounded by signal interferring steel...I would think that a wifi USB dongle with a external antenna might be better in those conditions. I have several USB wifi sticks, like below, and the one with the antenna works far better than the ones without an external antenna.

2. The other thing I was trying to say, is that all USB ports on CE devices don't seem to be equal. I don't know if it is due to hardware or due to a registry entry or or missing dll or what. For instance, on my Ipaq 310 GPS, I can plug it into my desktop and sync, but I cannot read an USB memory stick off of the port. Maybe it has something to do with client versus host ports. On my Lanhui CE6 MP3 player it is the same thing and sync, but not read a memory stick. Nor does it recognize any of my USB wifi sticks or even recognize I have plugged in a hardware device. Same goes with my Chinese cheapo netbooks...USB there doesn't do anything except read memory cards...but does not recognize USB keyboards or wifi sticks, even though the drivers are all present.

I guess I was thinking, and should have said, "give it a try and let us know what happens...but don't get your hopes up..."

(wifi1.jpg)

(wifi2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wifi1.jpg (6KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments wifi2.jpg (10KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
talkwince Page Icon Posted 2014-10-14 9:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2013-10-22 7:49 AM

I don't have an RT5370 USB dongle to test, but the RT2870/RT3070 ones seem to be working with any USB-enabled CE 5 or 6 device.

Hi guys,

I bought a RT3070 wifi usb for my win ce6 car headunit for my car. The car radio has wifi on it but just needs a usb wifi dongle.
The seller will not help me connect the wifi so I can play music from the net and search websites in the car. Great ebay support eh. I think I should leave negative feedback.

I have tried everything to get the wifi to work. It just doesnt work. The radio has 2 usb ports. 1 on the face of the radio and 1 wire from the back of the radio. I tried both.

It has a wifi application on the radio desktop touchscreen that works like most windows wifi list networks to connect.
I see no networks to connect to on the wifi list because the wifi usb dongle is not loaded.

How do I activate the usb wifi rt3070 with win ce. I have many windows ce programs I use. I can use explorer2. total commander, vista menu and more.

I even downloaded the rt3070 cabs from driverguide for win ce and installed them but the wifi still does not work

www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1838116&action=ratings

If anyone has advice please let me know.
Oooh and the RT3070 wifi usb dongle works great on my pc. I can connect to the Network and surf the web fine. It has pretty good range too. So I know I have good hardware. Windows CE doesnt have a device manager like normal windows OS so I can check the settings of the wifi I just installed the cabs and hoped it worked. Im kind of new to win ce 6 though.

Edited by talkwince 2014-10-14 10:00 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-10-14 10:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

When you plug in the USB wifi adapter to your car radio, do you get a Windows CE prompt asking you for the name of the device driver? If not, then it is not sensing the wifi adapter. Make sure you try all 3 ports, and I imagine it would be the one on the back.

The other thing is that you would need to be real close to a wifi hotspot where there is a public wifi signal, otherwise you would not see any active signal sources.

I have a feeling this is something that will have to be worked out with the radio manufacturer.

Lastly, with my experience with the 3070, you have to not only install the drivers into the \windows folder, but you also have to import a file to the registry to set it properly.

And the cab files you downloaded and copied to the radio, did the install properly? I mean did you see a prompt that said "installing" or anything?
 Top of the page
talkwince Page Icon Posted 2014-10-15 2:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi rich,

When I plug in the wifi usb rt3070, I do not get any messages that it is plugged in from the radio from any of the usb ports.

When I installed the cab it said complete and it deleted my cab from my sd card I had it on. When I tried again it said it was already installed.

I cant find any device manager or way to enable the wifi device. Win Ce is different than normal windows.

The ebay distributor is not very intelligent when it comes to customer service. He can not respond to my questions and answer the subject. I wonder if he even read my question.

These are the wifi 3g car dvd tv radios on ebay from yallstore. I think its some chinese person with a warehouse in the states selling them.

Ive been looking for 2 months to find a wifi dongle on this radio that does not need drivers or cabs installed. I saw this forum thread and gave it a try and I failed.

That moderator CE GEEK said win ce5 and ce6 do no need drivers or cabs for this rt3070 wifi usb dongle.

I am parked next to my door and have full wifi bars from the house where I am testing the car wifi

Is there any common win ce 6 usb wifi that can be used without installing drivers or cabs?

Edited by talkwince 2014-10-15 2:52 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-10-15 12:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

CE5 and CE6 are supposed to support RNDIS. The USR MaxG USB adapter is the only wifi adapter that I've ever used that does not need a driver.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Robotics-5421-MaxG-Wireless-Network-125...

With that said, the problem with CE based car radios, CE based GPS units, and other CE based devices is that they don't always have full versions of Windows CE installed. Many of them are intentionally "dummied" down so people don't corrupt the OS trying to experiment by adding things to it.

Lastly, many car radio claim to work with wireless, but they are talking about a compatible 3G USB adapter, one that connects to a cellular data network, not standard 802.11b/g/n protocol.

Normally for CE products, once you plug in a wifi adapter, a small icon appears on the service tray near the clock on the windows desktop screen. Tapping on that will open a window that will allow you to configure and select the wifi source.
 Top of the page
talkwince Page Icon Posted 2014-10-16 3:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

yes; when i insert my wifi usb dongles I get no popup or messages.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-10-16 5:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Wish we could help, but I think your only option is the manufacturer... I assume the owners manual has zero information about installing a wifi adapter?
 Top of the page
talkwince Page Icon Posted 2014-12-05 12:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2014-10-15 12:39 PM

CE5 and CE6 are supposed to support RNDIS. The USR MaxG USB adapter is the only wifi adapter that I've ever used that does not need a driver.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Robotics-5421-MaxG-Wireless-Network-125...

With that said, the problem with CE based car radios, CE based GPS units, and other CE based devices is that they don't always have full versions of Windows CE installed. Many of them are intentionally "dummied" down so people don't corrupt the OS trying to experiment by adding things to it.

Lastly, many car radio claim to work with wireless, but they are talking about a compatible 3G USB adapter, one that connects to a cellular data network, not standard 802.11b/g/n protocol.

Normally for CE products, once you plug in a wifi adapter, a small icon appears on the service tray near the clock on the windows desktop screen. Tapping on that will open a window that will allow you to configure and select the wifi source.

I picked up a us robotics USR MaxG USB adapter and tried it on my chinese win ce 6 car radio unit. It does not even power up the led light like it does on the rt3070 wifi usb.
nothing works.

I guess no one knows how to enable the wifi usb on these win ce chinese radios on ebay

Edited by talkwince 2014-12-05 12:51 AM
 Top of the page
talkwince Page Icon Posted 2014-12-06 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

i give up on win ce; im going to sell it and get an android
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10