x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Registry flush app for CE 5/6?

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-05-24 10:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Is there a program for manually flushing the registry that will work on a Windows CE 5 and/or 6 device? I'm finding that some of these devices do not automatically flush the registry periodically or when suspended, so some settings and apps that do not call RegFlushKey() lose changes upon reboot. Those devices appear to lack the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/ObjectStore/RegFlush, and I'm still testing a couple to see if creating that key with its subvalues will enable periodic automatic registry flushes, but it seems to me that just doing the flush manually after changes would be more efficient and use fewer resources (and thus not slow down the system as much).

There's a RegFlush.exe applet for the BE-300, but I can't find an ARM-compatible registry flush utility anywhere. Anyone have any info?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-25 1:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've found that to be problem as well, and it seems to be centered on devices that don't handle persistent memory. Try the attached one...it was written for an arm based Intermec handheld...

Attachments
----------------
Attachments regflush.CAB (4KB - 23 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-05-25 7:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for that, Rich. Unfortunately, it won't work on the one device where I want it to most: the little CE 6 PMP that you and I have. (I get an error message that says "Registry has NOT been saved." ) Some registry keys on that device are lost on reboot, including the keys necessary to access the cePIMS databases. (Weird, cuz the databases themselves are retained on reboot. ) I've been using a small workaround, backing up HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to a self-executing backup file with bUSEFUL Backup and creating a link to it in \Windows\StartUp, but a couple of settings, including taskbar settings and transparent icon text via DeSappear, require a reboot to take effect - which of course won't work in this case. (BTW, I can't use this method with the entire registry because it hangs in the middle of executing the restore. Apparently the entire registry is too much to handle.) The registry on that device won't let me create the RegFlush key in HKLM/System/ObjectStore.

There's supposed to be a way to save databases on some devices as well using a similar key in the same location called DBFlush, according to what I've read from microsoft.com. Interestingly, this key is missing as well from the above device, even though it retains databases on reboot. I do notice a value in HKLM/System/ObjectStore that the other devices don't have, though: DefaultDBVol, which points to the location of the file default.vol. So it looks like it saves databases the same way Windows Mobile 6.5 does.
 Top of the page
Low-power Page Icon Posted 2013-10-20 7:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Using C code?

"regsync.c"

#include <windows.h> 

int main(){
if(
RegFlushKey(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT) ||
RegFlushKey(HKEY_CURRENT_USER) ||
RegFlushKey(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)){
perror("regsync");
return 1;
}
return 0;
}

It's work on my HPC
 Top of the page
PhMajerus Page Icon Posted 2024-03-03 3:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

PHM RegEdit for WCE4 should have a flush option if I remember correctly. I remember adding that for devices using hive-based registry.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 28