x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

elonex websurfer app installation

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
lohtse Page Icon Posted 2013-05-26 10:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi All

been a while since was last here on the forums....Apologies for that..

Anyway just picked up the mention device at a car boot today for £5 with powerpack and case etc...Bargin!!!!!!

alls working etc but how the heck to I add etc apps????

checked sytem and it states its version 6.00 (build 3122)

any help would be great..

regards
Lohtse
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-26 4:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, go to your control panel and click on the system icon...it should tell you what type of processor it is.

As far as cab files goes, that is another issue. Most modern CE devices use ARM compatible cpus, but are not XScale or ARM in nomenclature. So CAB files do not recognize cpu in these netbooks. You need to eithr extract the CAB contents manually and install them, or modify the CAB file to accept any type of cpu.

I've attached two simple cab files for ARM devices to this post. Both are exactly the same, except one has been changed to accept any device...it will even install on a MIPS machine, though the software won't run. Give them both a try and see what happens.

It is just the DeClock software...one will install only on ARM devices, the other will install on any device...but the software will only run on ARM compatible systems.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DeClock ANY.cab (46KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments DeClock ARM.cab (46KB - 5 downloads)
 Top of the page
lohtse Page Icon Posted 2013-05-26 4:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

will give it a try soon as I reflash as I copied the wceload file on to it and now boots to a grey screen and mice pointer and no further... and there seems to be no way to factory reset the damn thing just a soft reset button..

turning house upside down for a standard SD card(microsd in adpter doesn't work) but looks like will have to buy one grrrrr

Edited by lohtse 2013-05-26 4:32 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-05-26 7:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

As far as apps go, you can install the .NET Compact Framework on it (if it isn't already there), and then you can run lots of .NET CF-based apps. .NET CF 1.0, 2.0, and 3.5 all support x86 processors. Most newer Windows Mobile software is .NET based, so there'll be lots of choices. (Some may not run, but lots will.) Most of the CAB files for .NET CF-based apps seem to execute fine on most of my CE 5 and 6 devices.
 Top of the page
lohtse Page Icon Posted 2013-05-26 8:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

anyone know of a way to force a factory reset on the elonex?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-26 8:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've never seen an Elonex Websurfer before and got curious...it seems there are several models. Exactly which model do you have? Their website has firmware images so that you can reflash the device, so that would definitely be worth downloading.

Go here: http://www.elonex.com/index.php/support/ and click on the computing window and find your model...I think one of those with the built in VOIP telephone would really be cool...
 Top of the page
lohtse Page Icon Posted 2013-05-26 9:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

mines the cews7-4....nice little device for £5 :-) already downloaded the image but will be a day or two before I can get and sd card....annoying that it will not see MicroSD in an adapter!!!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-26 10:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It might see the microSD...be sure that it is formatted to Fat32 and not NTFS...

BTW, did you check out the system properties in the control panel? What did it say the cpu identifier was?

I've seen the Elonex Surfboard has an ARM cpu...which would be good. But others have a Via C7. It is confusing to me.

I'm thinking that your must be like all the other Chinese cheapos...an ARM build.

But I like the design on the other Elonex Websurfer with the built in wireless VOIP phone...

(websurfer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments websurfer.jpg (39KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
lohtse Page Icon Posted 2013-05-27 8:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

tried various adapters and formatting of several microsd cards and none would be seen at boot but has to be sadi it didn't see them when booted up correctly...only way forward is with a normal sdcard which it had seen without issues(have a 32 meg one I used for file transfer)...

as to your cpu question am 99% pos it's arm "ARM 11 CPU Processor @ 667MHz"

Edited by lohtse 2013-05-27 8:13 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-27 10:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Cool...then you are in great shape for software...lots of ARM stuff.
 Top of the page
lohtse Page Icon Posted 2013-05-27 10:08 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

thats good news then...... will report back when up and running....

now if only android could run too!
 Top of the page
lohtse Page Icon Posted 2013-05-27 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

update folks

the update file from elonex contains both the old and new flashable files... extract ALL to root of sdcard(yes micro does work on boot) no folders and delete the firmware zip..... then apply flashable update as per instruction on elonex site...if you don't it simply does not see the update!!!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-27 1:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I saw that the thing has both the standard CE desktop as well as a custom overlay. The owners manual says if you move the mouse to the left side of the screen you can access the normal CE desktop.

How does that all work?

Also, the thing was supposed to come with a full install of Softmaker's Office...did it?
 Top of the page
lohtse Page Icon Posted 2013-05-27 2:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

worked reaaly well...some apps appear in custom desktop but not on CE quiet slick.... and yes came with full softmakers office...BUT bricked it....was messing with the firmwares seeing what the actaul difs was between 1.18 and 1.19 and during the reflash caught the sdcard so it popped out of the slot!!!!! now have a device that well the power light comes on but thats all....Nicely bricked it lol..... oh well only cost a fiver so can't complain... Shame as was anice device really...very light and seemed quiet fast for what it is....

anyone need spare parts?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-05-27 7:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Bummer...

Won't reflash at all, even with new install on the SD card?
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 28