x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Speeding up Modem Connection

woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-07-07 4:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just came across this...would that work on the Jornada?

http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/devconfig-hex-string-one-thats-o...

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-07-07 4:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I believe the modems are set by default to connect at the higest speed possible...the slower rates are fallback rates that automatically go into effect in the event of poor signals and line noise...or when hosting to a server that has a set slower speed.

If you set your modem to only operate at a fixed high speed...you may not get a stable connection and end up not communicating at all. I mean these modems were the latest back when phone lines were all analog signals and Ma Bell simply couldn't handle anything faster. Of course now that everything is digital, things are different. Otherwise we wouldn't have DSL.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a dial up digital pcmcia modem that would give broadband speeds by dialing an ISP?
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-07-07 5:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2013-07-07 4:26 PM

I believe the modems are set by default to connect at the higest speed possible...the slower rates are fallback rates that automatically go into effect in the event of poor signals and line noise...or when hosting to a server that has a set slower speed.

If you set your modem to only operate at a fixed high speed...you may not get a stable connection and end up not communicating at all. I mean these modems were the latest back when phone lines were all analog signals and Ma Bell simply couldn't handle anything faster. Of course now that everything is digital, things are different. Otherwise we wouldn't have DSL.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a dial up digital pcmcia modem that would give broadband speeds by dialing an ISP?

According to this link it SHOULD be possible to set higher speeds. But I wonder where in the registry I would do that, since there are a few "unimodem" entries..."

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1164/
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-07-07 5:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Even if the hardware supported higher speeds, the phone lines wouldn't...
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-07-07 6:13 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Of course, we´re talking about my EDGE modem. Since it is able of Speeds above 115K, I wanted to tweak the registry...
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-07-07 7:19 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yes, it will work.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-07-07 7:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Oh...now you are beyond me since I have zero experience with an EDGE modem. However, the article you mentioned was referring to the serial ports of the CE device, which we know can be set as high as 115.2K or somewhere therabouts... So if your EDGE modem uses a serial port for data transfer, you should be able to configure that to whatever the EDGE card can handle...
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-07-07 7:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, thats exactly what i was trying to do. But for some reason it won´t show me any higher options beyond 115k, thats what confuses me.

Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-07-07 7:37 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Alt Bass - 2013-07-07 7:19 PM

Yes, it will work.

Do you have any recommendations, or a probably a hint?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-07-08 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

woolfman - 2013-07-07 10:37 PM

Alt Bass - 2013-07-07 7:19 PM

Yes, it will work.

Do you have any recommendations, or a probably a hint?

No, I haven't, I just heard many times about this tweak, most frequently used with Windows Mobile 5 or 6 and it works there.

Edited by Alt Bass 2013-07-08 9:29 PM
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-07-14 9:37 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, I´ve tried numerous times. Doesn´t seem to work. Turning off flow control definitely helps in speeding up the connection...
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-07-14 2:45 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I read the article again and I found that it refers to serial cable connection only. The actions for the pccard modems are different,

The Unimodem folder is located in every key in 'HKLM/drivers/pcmcia/' which refers to modem. You should create the DevCfg value in the key which corresponds to your modem.

Edited by Alt Bass 2013-07-14 2:45 PM
 Top of the page
woolfman Page Icon Posted 2013-07-14 4:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Alt Bass - 2013-07-14 2:45 PM
You should create the DevCfg value in the key which corresponds to your modem.

I already tried that...but it didn´t increase speed at all. Seems like WinCE 3.0 doesn´t respond to it. Turning of flow control and tweaking TCP options in Registry did do an effect, 1/4 to 1/3 increase overall.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9