x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

sam.fatoush Page Icon Posted 2013-07-25 12:13 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey!! I am trying my hand at something and was wondering if someone could help me out! I have an old Chinese Win CE 5 device which used to be my GPS device. I am trying to jail break it so that I could use it as a small pda.. I ran through some help on the internet, followed a lot of instructions,but got stuck at one point. I am unable to find the (Shell) folder in the Microsoft folder in the HKey_Local Machine registry. I was instructed to change the value of a registry called "Autohide". Cant find the Shell folder.

Before you rebuke me, I am not a tech guy,just someone who's got 2 months of free time as I am recovering from an accident. So I would really appreciate if you guys can help me on this...

I am using CE Registry Editor to modify the Registries. I OS is WIN XP

If you need any info about the device, lemme know...

Also,Is it possible to update a CE5 device to CE6?

Regards

Sam

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-07-25 3:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It's in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft.

The normal way to get it to boot to the Windows CE desktop is through another registry key: HKLM/init. Check all the values called Launch** and let us know what files are named in each one. Changing the correct one to explorer.exe may allow it to boot directly into CE.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-07-25 10:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Also a lot of GPS devices didn't have a "shell" folder because they booted to a manufacture custom interface...so don't be surprised if you don't see what you expect to see. Many GPS registries are "cut down" versions of a full Windows CE registry, electing to have only the necessary entries needed to allow the GPS software to run from CE.

Nonetheless, as CEGeek says, running explorer.exe will bring up the default CE shell which will then allow you to run other applications and even go to the CE desktop.

Somewhere on the device there is probably a file that loads the custom shell. It could be any name, but it will probably be something you could simply edit with notepad. If you can find that file and change the loading from the GPS shell to something like \windows\explorer.exe then when you turn on your GPS it will go right to the normal CE desktop.

From there it is normally pretty easy to create a shortcut to reload your GPS shell should you want to use it again in the future. And there are quite a few Windows CE programs, and I'm talking about shells that will launch programs, out there that have been written specifically for GPS devices. I think I've tried them all at one time or another...

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 26