x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

mini USB 1.1 master port on Netbook Pro

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
seminarian Page Icon Posted 2013-10-24 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Here is an update on how I've been using my Psion Netbook Pro as my main paper-writer for grad school.

1.) The USB port issue:
a.) cheaper and/or older USB thumb drives seem to work better. The largest I have found that works flawlessly is the Dane-Elec 8 GB thumb drive. Unfortunately it has a poor rating on Amazon, but the Duracell version has a perfect rating.
I haven't tried the Duracell version but it seems to be the same design.

b.) Oddly enough, my old 512 MB Sandisk Ultra II + USB sd card works in the USB port when it is flipped open. Of course, it also works in the SD slot.

c.) I bought an OTG mini USB A-male to female USB adapter cable several years ago not long after I purchased my Psion Netbook Pro off of eBay. It has a short in it now and I may try getting another one with black cable housing since mine has
transparent cable housing. I don't know if that will make a difference, but I do know that I won't go back to the same seller.

d.) Besides the short in the cable, I use an older HP optical mouse, which I prefer to using the stylus.

2.) Docking station:
a.) I wanted to get one, but as I'm sure many of you know, these are practically non-existent. Plus I'm not sure if it would have the ports I'm looking for: VGA and regular USB.

b.) More than anything else, I wanted to be able to use a VGA-out port and be able to see my work on a larger monitor. The best solution seems to be a Colorgraphics Voyager VGA adapter cf card CRDVGACFH131. Although they aren't very common,
they do still come up on eBay sometimes -
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251354504731?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksi...

3.) Storage cards:
a.) I have pretty much abandoned the use of USB thumb drives since I don't need much space for doc files and I like to keep my mouse plugged into the USB port. I have no idea if a USB port expander would work, but seeing how finicky the mini-USB
port can be at times, requiring me to do soft-resets from time to time, then I see no reason to multiply the problem by expanding the port.

b.) I bought a larger SD card in addition to my trusty old 512 MB Sandisk Ultra II + USB SD card. I switched brands and went with a Kingston since www.Pulster.de explicitly advertises that the Kingston cards they sell are faster than Sandisk cards.
The 2GB Kingston card I got off of eBay is, I believe, faster and has not failed to read or write once yet. By the way, does anyone know if micro SD cards with a regular size SD adapter in the Psion NB Pro?

c.) I haven't got a compact flash card yet but I will soon. I will take any suggestions and would love to read testimonies to any multi-GB cards that work well with the Psion NB Pro.

4.) Software:
a.) Textmaker is the best document creating software for the Psion Netbook Pro; worth every penny. In fact, I don't think I would keep my Psion NB Pro without the abilities provided by Textmaker.

b.) Many people recommended that I run TextMaker from a cf card or sd card and keep the Psion's internal memory free. I'd like to do that with a new cf card, but Textmaker works fine from the internal memory. I haven't tried recently to run
Textmaker from my SD card but that may work fine as well.

5.) Syncing:
I was thinking of finding a bluetooth adapter, but they're costly even when they do pop up on eBay. With storage cards, I just don't have a real need for syncing with another computer. However, I would like to hear any comments about SD wifi and
bluetooth cards that work well with the Psion NB Pro.

Thanks to everyone for posting comments and helping me to resurrect what is still a valuable tool for students.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-10-24 7:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Since your IP address shows you are from Canada, then that eBay auction is a pretty good deal for you.

As you can see, I'm sellilng a Colorgraphics VGA card myself, though I have the PCMCIA version, not CF. I've had several cards of various brands and think the Colorgraphics is by far the best there is. Of course you won't get greater resolution, just a bigger picture on the monitor which will make it much easier to see.

I'm a Textmaker fan myself, and have purchased every version except the newest. But the 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, and 2010 all run flawlessly on all of my HPCs. Running from a memory card will free up some system memory making your stuff run a little faster if you allocate the memory to running programs rather than storage...but not all that much unless you have huge open documents of 20 pages or more or heavily embedded graphics in your documents.

I too can live just fine without synching my devices to my desktop.

CF memory cards are prett cheap these days...don't spend a lot of money buying one that is super fast as while it may be quick as lightning...your NBPro isn't....

Nice to see someone who truly appreciates using their HPC for real work...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-10-25 2:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, a microSD card inside an SD card adapter will work fine in the NB Pro. That's what I used in mine for a while.
 Top of the page
seminarian Page Icon Posted 2013-10-25 5:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Does anyone know how large of a micro SD card the Psion Netbook Pro will recognize? Or did those have a limit like the SD format, which was 2 GB? Thanks.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2013-10-25 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

SDHC is NOT SD.

SD is specified for up to 2 GB which are supported officially. 4 GB SD cards do not comply to standards, 4 GB is unofficial extension but NBP recognizs them as well as many other CE devies. Beware: there are also 4 GB SDHC cards which won't be recognized.

Edited by Alt Bass 2013-10-25 6:53 PM
 Top of the page
seminarian Page Icon Posted 2013-10-26 12:46 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

So there IS such a thing as a 4 GB SD (NOT SDHC) card? If so, wow! Where can I find this? I've been looking on Amazon and eBay.
 Top of the page
seminarian Page Icon Posted 2013-10-26 1:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Okay, I looked a little harder and found these:

and:

Top of the page
seminarian Page Icon Posted 2013-10-26 1:16 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Also, does anyone know if the D-Link 650BT Bluetooth Wireless Compact Flash Adapter will work in a Psion Netbook Pro? I just learned of its existence.
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 27