x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can no longer get TextMaker for old HPCs

Linuxhead
Linuxhead Page Icon Posted 2013-09-29 10:33 PM
#
Hello everyone, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself.

After about 10 years away, I've come back to the HPC platform. Simply put, there are no laptops/tablets out there that can match the size, convenience, and battery life of these devices.

Anyway, I'm having a devil of a time finding software nowadays as you might imagine. I know that UsedHandhelds has their cd but I am interested in the latest version of TM that was released, the 2006 version. Unfortunately, I contacted Softmaker and they said they would not sell me TextMaker for my J720.

Is there really that much difference between TM 2002 and 2006?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-30 1:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you just need to type Word compatible documents then you won't find much difference between the 2002 and 2006 versions. With that said, they did make quite a few changes, particularly in the graphics editing features of the text and table manipulation if you use tables in your text document.

For those who use foreign languages, the unicode support was much improved allowing any unicode character to be inserted...something that HPC users could already do with other 3rd party software...but Textmaker made it part of their program, thus eliminating the need for external support.

It also allowed for opening documents written by other desktop machines, i.e. OpenOffice docs without having to convert them first.

Me personally, I find 2002 to do everything i need it to do just fine...though the newer 2010 version (MP900C) is nice for Word docX files.

Here you can see it all: http://web.archive.org/web/20060623070735/http://www.softmaker.com/...

Also, we have a nice review on the 2006 package here at HPCFactor: http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/softmaker/office-2006/
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-09-30 1:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Also, Rich, do I remember correctly that TM 2002 was faster than 2006 on the J720? I seem to recall that opinion in older posts. I use 2002 even on CE 2.0, but I do manuscript docs only, no graphics at all.

Jake
 Top of the page
Linuxhead
Linuxhead Page Icon Posted 2013-09-30 9:27 PM
#
Jake - 2013-09-30 8:33 AM

Also, Rich, do I remember correctly that TM 2002 was faster than 2006 on the J720? I seem to recall that opinion in older posts. I use 2002 even on CE 2.0, but I do manuscript docs only, no graphics at all.

Jake

Is there also an issue with 2002 not being able to have more than one document open at once? I seem to recall that. This part is very irritating since I never got around to purchasing TM 2002 back in the day. Now it seems that the CD is my only hope to get any version.

I would be willing to pay someone to sell me their copy of 2006 if someone has it, please PM me.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-09-30 10:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

True...with TM2002, only the main window can be open. With TM2006, you can have several docs open at the same time. You can download TM2006 trial here I believe: http://textmaker-for-windows.download-145-29493.programsbase.com/ or here: http://www.download3000.com/download-textmaker-for-windows-count-re...

Top of the page
Linuxhead
Linuxhead Page Icon Posted 2013-10-01 3:22 PM
#
Rich Hawley - 2013-09-30 5:51 PM

True...with TM2002, only the main window can be open. With TM2006, you can have several docs open at the same time. You can download TM2006 trial here I believe: http://textmaker-for-windows.download-145-29493.programsbase.com/ or here: http://www.download3000.com/download-textmaker-for-windows-count-re...

Thank you for the reply, Rich. But it appears that those links are for the full-blown Windows version, not the CE version.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-10-01 3:42 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

What was SM's reason for not selling TM2006? "We don't sell unsupported software"?

When I bought TM2002 for Zaurus a couple of years ago, I purchased through a German Zaurus dealer (C Pulster), who worked in tandem with SM. TM for Zaurus is certainly unnsupported, so I wonder why there isn't the same symbiosis somewhere with TM2006.

Jake
 Top of the page
Linuxhead
Linuxhead Page Icon Posted 2013-10-01 6:11 PM
#
Jake - 2013-10-01 10:42 AM

What was SM's reason for not selling TM2006? "We don't sell unsupported software"?

When I bought TM2002 for Zaurus a couple of years ago, I purchased through a German Zaurus dealer (C Pulster), who worked in tandem with SM. TM for Zaurus is certainly unnsupported, so I wonder why there isn't the same symbiosis somewhere with TM2006.

Jake

They did not give a reason, just said that they could not sell any of these old versions to me.

It's very frustrating being a returned user to the HPC platform, that's for sure. Does someone have a link or a CAB they can PM me?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-10-01 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I certainly don't have it, and in context to maintaining an ancient machine, the fact that you can still get TM2002 is lucky indeed. Were I you, I would get thee to usedhandhelds.com and price the disk. While you're there, you could ask if THEY sell TM2006.

For the vast majority of your needs, TM2002 will serve. If you're opening docs that need a bunch of graphics, etc, you're going to have memory issues right from the start, especially w/ a 720. Pocketword works fine if you need a second, third open doc, and that will save you memory as well.

I found that using simultaneously TM2002, Netfront browser, and another program or two did not fare well on a 720. Can't imagine what that would be like with TM2006. I had to move to a 728.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2013-10-01 11:50 PM
 Top of the page
Linuxhead
Linuxhead Page Icon Posted 2013-10-02 4:18 PM
#
Funny you say that. I had actually ordered the CD a bit before reading your post yesterday

It is nice that they preserved the apps like that for us and did so before the companies selling them had zero interest in supporting or selling them.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-10-02 6:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Their (UHH) intent was not to preserve TM2002...rather they paid Softmaker a substantial fee to act as a reseller for that version using a volume license agreement so that they could include it on their own distribution CD...and note that it was limited to the ARM build only, and did not include MIPS or SH3/SH4 builds. It just worked out that way for the end user.

If Softmaker seems less than accommodating, I can't really blame them. There was so so so much pirating of their software efforts, it was ridiculous. You can see it in all those CE5/CE6 netbooks that come with SM Office (the pocketpc version) installed as part of the OS. Every one of those, with the exception of a few, like the Tinybook T706 or Ubisurfer 9, were pirated copies. Even today you can download firmware flash images for 8505 and 8650 netbooks and find the Softmaker Office still in there, again the pocketpc version.

I personally didn't care for the ppc version, I like my menus on the top rather than the bottom...but most unsuspecting new owners never even realized that they were not made for that screen format.

I don't think you will be disappointed with TM2002. If you really need multiple open documents, you can always paste your text into a Pocket Word window...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-10-02 10:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Put your energies toward finding a reasonably-priced 728 THAT will be the big difference.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8