x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

More CE 5.0 MIPS: Cowon P5

1 2
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-10-13 5:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Alt Bass - 2013-10-07 10:33 AM

CE Geek - 2013-10-05 11:52 AM

Another curiosity: while there is a USB HID driver built in, and both wired and wireless mice work, the mouse cursor is invisible - like it was on my old Samsung iZZi Pro when I tried a third-party mouse driver.

That certainly is a separate component in Platform Builder, I remember that. So all your problems come from manufacturer not checking some checkboxes and not putting a simple settings into image.

Maybe, since the cursor is visible on my other CE 5 MIPS device (Viliv X5) whenever a wired or wireless mouse is connected.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-10-14 7:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Something even cooler: the P5 supports display rotation on the fly! Kai's RotateScreen.exe rotates the display to 90-, 180-, and 270-degree orientation flawlessly.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-10-14 2:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So what...my Lanhui media player does that...it even has the rare 45 degree rotation.....

(lanhui.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lanhui.jpg (140KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-10-14 8:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No portrait mode though, is there?

This is the first MIPS device I've seen to support this, though. The Vadem/MainStreet Clio C-1050 supported all four orientations, but only via soft reset. It'd be cool if someone could write another display rotation app (either C++ or .NET-based) that does this, though, so you don't have to close it to get the app's interface out of the way. Kai's four display rotation applets in WeekPlanner don't fully work - they rotate the touchscreen orientation but only start to redraw the display that way without completing the redraw.

BTW, I noticed that plugging in something into the headphone jack does disable the internal speaker while in the core CE interface - it just doesn't when in the Cowon UI. I guess this is so that you can plug something in to the jack to use as an antenna when you still want to use the internal speakers to hear it from a distance. Kinda defeats the purpose of a headset, though.

Cowon claims that its battery supports 9 hours of video - and 14 hours of audio - on a single charge. My experience using it thus far seems to support those numbers. Cowon also claims that it can remain in sleep mode for up to 300 hours (12 1/2 days) on a single charge. I haven't tested that, though, since it retains everything on reboot and boots pretty quickly (about 12 seconds).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-10-15 2:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

All of those Cowon devices are kinda pricey...wonder if the other are CE based as well...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-10-16 4:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I was able to pick mine up for about 80 USD. Well worth the money.

The Q5/Q5W also run CE 5 on the Alchemy Au1250.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-21 6:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I recently retried the four .NET-based standalone screen rotation applets on this device, and they seem to work fine as well, as does another .NET-based applet I tracked down called PLToggle that toggles directly back and forth between landscape and portrait mode. It looks like the only thing getting in the way before was probably too little program memory or too many processes running at the same time.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9