x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wordle Net CF 1.0 game

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-11-23 12:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So I was writing to Ed Olsen, who is a professor at University of Michigan about a game he wrote years ago called Wordle. It is a Boggle type game where you have 3 minutes to find as many words as you can from a grid of 4 x 4 letters.

He agreed to let me use his source code. So this week I bought Visual Studio 2003 on eBay for a hefty sum of $16 and installed it on my computer. I then went in and using his source code, reformatted the game for HPCs.

What'cha think? It should run on any HPC that has Net CF installed on it...

(wordle game.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wordle game.jpg (78KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-11-23 4:48 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've tested it for Rich and it works fine. I've been looking for a Boggle-style game that can be played on ARM-based and other newer CE devices, since an old favorite of mine, WordZ, was only written for MIPS and SH3 H/PC platform devices and relies on the dictionary file (cespell.dll) included in the H/PC 2.0, H/PC Pro, and H/PC 2000 platforms, which is absent from other CE builds including the Palm-size PC platform. (Of course, the original version of Wordle, written for the Pocket PC, fits in the display of any Palm-size PC with the CE 2.xx version of .NET CF 1.0 installed.)

Another note: like WordZ, it also has a choice of a 5x5 grid for a greater challenge. (Also, it responds better than WordZ to dragging the stylus along the path of the letter sequence you want to choose, like a similar app written for Palm OS devices.)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-11-23 9:46 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Very cool Rich, nice work! Very nice!

Looks like the timer bar is rendering slightly off screen. Does it scale to larger screen devices or are you leaving it as a floating window (in which case you could kill off the max/minimise?

Definitely put it up in the SCL

Is it open source?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-11-23 10:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Don't know if it scales upwards or not...hope not. I'd hate to have to drag my stylus all over an 8 inch screen. Fixed the timer bar height problem, also removed the window max/min options and just set it to open full size.

The other thing that is cool about NCF stuff is the software will run on your desktop just fine and you can see how it looks on your HPC without taking the time to install it.

Now in the SCL.

No, not open source...author asked that I don't release the source code.

I'm thinking that a new programmer would like Visual Studio. Reminds you a lot of Visual Basic. Still none of it is as easy as NSBasic in learning.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-11-23 5:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I tested Rich's original version on an 800x480 display, and the app itself stays the same size when the window is maximized to the full screen. (The cutoff at the top of the timer bar is a typical problem with running .NET CF apps on core CE devices, since the apps are usually written for Pocket PCs and, as such, with the expectation that the menu bar will be on the bottom.) I actually prefer having the option to maximize/restore down, because in restored-down mode you can drag it off to the side a bit if you want to view something behind it briefly, and on larger displays you have the choice whether you want to keep something else in view on the rest of the display. Also, on a 320x240 (landscape) display, you can see the parts you need during play (the letter grid, timer bar, and pause and end buttons) and then drag the results window sideways to see the words you missed.

Nice work in any event, Rich. Maybe you can adapt other open-source .NET CF apps to restore down to 640x240 size instead of 240x320.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-11-23 10:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Would be fun to try...you have any source for a new project for me?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-11-24 6:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

:S I'm completely drawing a blank over any .net open source projects.

I can think of a few native codes ones, but not managed
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-11-24 7:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Been working on another ppc game, this one quite different. Lots of stuff to learn on the Visual Studio crappola...anyways, it is now in the SCL

Hangman.

(about.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments about.jpg (106KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2013-11-25 8:53 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Do they require any specific .net CF version or will 1.0 do in all cases?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2013-11-25 9:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

These are .NET CF 1.0 apps.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10