x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-01-24 5:56 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to download opera for a Jornada now? I found some on cmonex's website but they won't run, they say they're expired.

I do have RedGear installed.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-01-24 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 12:01 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

That works, thanks.

Two additional questions though:
1. It looks like this is still a trial version. Opera is no longer sold so I don't think you can register anymore, correct? If so, what would you guys advise?

2. Is it possible to install it to a Storage Card? I don't like putting it in the onboard ram
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-01-27 8:27 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Not really any other option, after version 8 Opera became proprietary 'free' software which no longer required a licence. Only trouble is the PPC2003 version was dropped at the same time, so unless you're able to somehow sideload Opera Mini 5.1 with some registry editing, you're going to have to do a reinstall each month.

Personally I've had an iffy experience with Opera Mobile on the J720, particularly with the way it handles HTML5 sites and entering text into them. Pocket IE is far more reliable as long as your sites are not resource intensive.
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-01-27 7:47 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I do think PIE is faster at rendering HTML however I've never been able to find a way to disable Javascript in it so I prefer using Opera. Even this website makes PIE choke on my Jornada!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-01-28 6:46 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's a bit of a surprise. I never had much difficulty with this site on IE CE 4 on my 728. (Maybe the extra 32 MB of RAM makes a difference. )
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-01-28 8:35 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you are struggling here, it isn't JavaScript. We've kept that to a minimum precisely because of compatibility problems with CE.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-01-28 8:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

In my instance the homepage will load fine in PIE, but something in the forum scripts causes a lock-up when you try to load them. Opera works fine though.
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2014-01-28 1:13 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Paspie - 2014-01-28 3:53 AM

In my instance the homepage will load fine in PIE, but something in the forum scripts causes a lock-up when you try to load them. Opera works fine though.

Yes, that's exactly how things are for me on PIE. Opera and NetfFront can load the pages ok, though. I think it is a RAM thing more than anything else. The JavaScript must be what eats up the last bit of RAM after it processes the HTML.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2014-02-01 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yes, you can still register. And it will install to the Storage Card fine.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16435&posts=10#M149651
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.154 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8