x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Compaq C120/C140 rechargable battery

markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2014-01-24 7:07 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I had the crazy idea of using NiMH cells in the normal battery holder but it wouldn't charge, so I looked again at the terminals and saw that the rechargeable battery pack has extra terminals on it for charging the cells, which look too short to be AAs and too fat to be AAAs. So I'm wondering, is there anywhere I can get a new battery pack (or a way to re-cell the pack I've got? I'm hoping to get a new battery altogether to be honest, because the one I've got (which came with a C140 I got really cheap on eBay) has a piece of plastic broken off, and I like having things perfect (or as close as I can get them).

I also have a couple of C120s, one of which I had when I was younger and got broken, the other I got a while after. Would it be possible to convert the battery holder for the broken one to a rechargeable pack for the one that still works?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2014-01-25 7:44 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Never mind, worked it out. The charging terminals wire into the same place as the regular ones, they're clearly for the benefit of the hardware being able to put power through one set of terminals and draw it through the other. So, wicked. I'll get some 2700mAh cells and convert the regular battery holders to high-capacity rechargeable ones, job's a fish!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-01-26 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Would like to do something similar with my newly purchased Casio A-22T. I'd be much obliged if you keep posting to this thread as you put yours together.

Jake
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2014-01-26 8:23 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

As far as I figured it (from destructive reverse engineering of a busted battery pack), the two sets of terminals are actually one set of terminals; all they're there to do is tell the HPC that it's a rechargeable battery pack. I just joined them together with an inch of wire through them, and the light on the charger came on. However, the HPC reported that it was running off external rather than charging, so I don't know if that's because the AA cells I put in it were full or if there was something I missed.

Nothing exploded though, and I think it charged a little - though I can't tell really because the cells I used were old ones and not in the best condition.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.144 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9