x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

W2K Patches & Updates Guide, installation instructions.

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
Keith VSG Page Icon Posted 2014-03-29 9:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,
after making a suitable donation, I downloaded the complete set of W2K, IE6, & O2K update files from the HPC site; a well organised service for which I am very grateful. I followed the accompanying installation instructions to the best of my limited ability and created the installation folder as described in the patch guide found at:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=147.

However, I have not yet been able to find the method for entering the specified command line < SP4_QFE_Install.cmd > into the installation folder, in order to automate the update installation process. The instructions quote a sample batch file, but I do not find it on the site (URL given above), or in the download printout. As commented in the Installation notes, installing all of the update files manually would be a very time consuming, error-prone and frustrating task.

Please, may I request some guidance from people more knowledgeable than I ?
I offer my thanks for any assistance that may be forthcoming.

Keith VSG

Top of the page Quote Reply
Keith VSG Page Icon Posted 2014-03-30 3:09 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello again,
Before others waste their time creating a reply, I may have the situation under control.

It would seem that my aged brain suffers from decay! For a while I completely forgot that the solution to my problem was to create the command line in W2K notepad, and then "save as" into the batch file, using the command line content as the file name.(For convenience, not effect!). As I write this note, text is streaming across my monitor at a great rate and has been doing so for a very long time. "Make some tea" was good advice. The tea break allowed my brain time to recall memories from long ago.

Keith VSG
Keith VSG Page Icon Posted 2014-03-30 6:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello yet again,
It seems that the batch file ran recursively for three and a half hours, without installing anything. Lines of data streamed continuously up the screen for the whole period, the data looked like the complete path to some file, but it was moving too fast to be legible. I would have expected a valid response to be a pause in the stream of file names as each file was installed.
Now its 2230 and time for bed.
Good night!

Keith VSG
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-03-30 10:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi Keith,

It's odd to hear that it managed to get stuck in a loop? If you re-extract SP4_QFE_Install.cmd from the zip, there isn't anything in my sample file that would cause a loop. It sounds like you might have triggered a recursive call back to itself!

• Extract the entire ZIP to c:Create a folder c:\qfe

• Manually install the files in the pre-requisites section

• In Windows Explorer go into c:\2000\SP4 QFE List

• Press F3 (or hit the search button)

• Type *.exe and press search

• Select all files and cut them (Ctrl + A, Ctrl + X)

• Go to c:\qfe and paste (Ctrl + V)

• Copy SP4_QFE_Install.cmd into c:\qfe, you now have all the update installers without any folder structure

• Double click SP4_QFE_Install.cmd

If it works is will pass through the updates list at a respectable speed, it will certainly be legible.

I hope that helps.
Keith VSG Page Icon Posted 2014-03-30 4:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Good morning to you,
0840 Pacific Standard Time, and I'm reading your very quick response to my latest post, for which I thank you. I'll try that after I have had my breakfast; it is Sunday morning after all!

Regards
Keith VSG

Edited by Keith VSG 2014-03-30 4:41 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-03-30 4:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Speak for yourself, it's nearly bed time
Keith VSG Page Icon Posted 2014-03-30 7:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello to you,
Ah, yes that wretched 8 hour time shift between the Pacific time zone and the UK; it makes trips back home to Europe very tedious, it's a long way from the US West Coast to the UK and mainland Europe!

I hate to keep bothering you with trivia, but I'm still having difficulties.

I have followed your notes, with one small change; I have insufficient space on my system hard drive to use C:\QFE, I substituted D:/QFE since that drive had plenty of space available, I don't consider that to be a significant change.
Everything works fine until I get to the penultimate instruction step in the process; " Copy SP4_QFE_Install.cmd". I have used 'Notepad' to create the command string and I copied it into the D:/QFE folder by creating a file of that name. I believe that file to have been the cause of the recursion experienced earlier. But, I can't seem to find an alternative method of copying the command string into D:/QFE without creating a file, or without Notepad appending a .txt file type to my entry. Would you please instruct me how to perform this 'copy' appropriately.
Thank you.

I'm sorry if the matters in my posts seem elementary to you, but it's been a long time since I studied W2K, I seem to have forgotten a lot, and even how to find the information.

Regards

Keith VSG
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-03-30 7:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Keith,

What command string? The file called SP4_QFE_Install.cmd should be in the zip, just copy it out to d:\qfe and double click it
Keith VSG Page Icon Posted 2014-03-31 5:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello again,
thank you for the clarification in respect pf SP4_QFE_Install.cmd; I totally misunderstood the original installation instructions! Having found the appropriate installer file and having copied it into the batch file D:\qfe, the update process worked correctly when I double clicked the installer. As you commented, the process is fast, but the screen display is legible. I have yet to repeat the process for IE6 and O2K updates, I assume that the process to run the two installations is identical to that for W2K, using SP4_QFE_Install.cmd, with the exception that the update files to be installed are different.

May I suggest that you might wish to modify the original, somewhat bare, instructions found under "Automation Sample" to cover the details we have discussed; there may be other users like myself, misunderstanding some of the points made during our discussions.

I really appreciate the assistance that you have provided and the prompt and friendly manner in which it was offered; what a refreshing change from some of the uncivilised behaviour that has become far too prevalent in e-mail exchanges.

Regards

Keith VSG
Keith VSG Page Icon Posted 2014-03-31 6:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,
With my download of the W2K updates there was a guide, (found at http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/win2000/ ); I have not found a similar guide for ie6 or O2K. What am I missing? If such documents exist, would you point me to them please, they may remove the need for future questions put to you.
Thank you

Regards

Keith VSG
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-03-31 7:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi,

No problem.

The Windows 2000 file that you downloaded fully patches IE6. As long as you followed the pre-requisite instructions, then the QFE list instructions, you are as good as you are going to get.

Office:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/office/
Keith VSG Page Icon Posted 2014-03-31 8:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello again,
thank you for the prompt reply and the file link.

I have followed your instructions explicitly, thus, I do not need to proceed with updating IE6 separately. Hurrah, less time spent on this laborious task of a complete system rebuild.

Yet another question.

After the mass update of W2K I attempted to do a full system back-up, to my surprise the backup failed and an error message was posted telling me that the SYSBAK drive was full. ( I have multiple physical and logical drives in my workstation set-up.) As a safety precaution I have been performing full system backups, over-writing the existing previous back-up, after every major portion of my system rebuild.

I investigated and found that my USERDATA drive had acquired a large number (75) of new files, the mystery files have very long file names, e.g.: fd61d16702fc468db12efb55abd9. I suspect that these are the back-up files arising from the updating process of W2K. Do you know if this conclusion is correct?

If in fact these are are the back-up files to permit an uninstallation of the patching operation on W2K, I assume that I may safely delete them from my USERDATA drive, thus making possible a complete system backup; I am trying to build a baseline full system backup upon which later differential backups can be based.

If, in fact, these 'mystery' files copied to my USERDATA drive are just the emergency back-ups to facilitate an uninstall operation for the complete W2K patching session, I assume that I may safely delete them, as my patched W2K system appears to be operating correctly. Is this a valid assumption?

Regards

Keith
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-03-31 8:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Guid's on the root of c drive are the qfe deflation folders, they can be deleted after reboot. The uninstallation backup folders are Qxxxxx or KBxxxxx in c:\winnt. You can delete these too. You can delete the IE 6 uninstall data from Add/Remove programs and if you are really desperate clear out C:\Program Files\Uninstall Information.
Keith VSG Page Icon Posted 2014-03-31 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello again,

Qxxxxx and KBxxxxx, files (several hundred of them) found in c:\winnt and deleted, as a by-product of that deletion all 75 of the "mystery" files on my USERDATA drive were deleted too; reboot was successful after the deletions.
After the reboot, I verified the contents of the recycle bin and then deleted all recycled files; followed that with a full defrag. of all drives and initiated a full system backup. Backup OK, verified good.

Question:
"Guids on the root of c drive are the gfe deflation folders", ? What is a Guid please, and how do I identify it ?

Regards

Keith
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-04-01 9:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

as "fd61d16702fc468db12efb55abd9"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guid

1 2
Frozen