x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SIMpad SL4 flashing to 4.1 help, please

1 2
Tombraider Page Icon Posted 2005-07-14 9:53 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I just got a working SIMpad from Buddify and would like to flash it to CE 4.1 but I am not that much of a "techie" and am nervous about this - especially since I already had one SIMpad die on me without ANY flashing whatsoever.
Could someone answer a few questions for me?

Questions:
1. Will I be able to input to the SIMpad by writing anywhere on the screen and having handwriting recognized after flashing to 4.1?

2. When you run serload to install the two bootloader files, where are the files residing? On your Windows PC in the same folder as the serload.exe file OR on a CF card inserted into the SIMpad via a PCMCIA sleeve?

3. The image file that I download for CE 4.1 has no extension. It is named simply S842-SI-INT-152 SL4 and is 26,617 KB in size. Am I supposed to put a .bin extension on it AND where does it go - in the folder with the serload.exe on my PC or on a CF card inserted into the SIMpad via a PCMCIA sleeve or does it go somewhere else entirely?

4. I'm confused as to whether I connect via Hyperterminal or just connect the serial cable to the SIMpad and start serload at a DOS prompt.

Hey, cut me some slack, please, I'm a 63 year old lady.

Thanks in advance.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-14 10:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Moved to Windows CE 4.x.net

Tomb, answers to your questions:

A1. Yes, you will have Transcriber (a crippled calligrapher) so you can write sentences in print, in block or cursive and have it recognized.

A2. On your PC. eg, you have in c:\sl4
- serload.exe
- loader_bl (boot loader 1)
- loader_bl.alt (boot loader 2)
- S842-SI-INT-152 SL4 (4.1 image file)

1. click on Start->Run and type "cmd"
2. goto sl4 directory
3. type serload loader_bl
if you get an error opening COM1, disable ActiveSync on COM1, retry.
you should get to the "Press RESET!" step.
4. You should have your SL4 connected to your PC via serial cable. After you reset, the boot loader should be uploaded/flashed in.
5. Upon completion, press CTRL-C at the cmd prompt (black window)
6. Type serload "S842-SI-INT-152 SL4" and press enter.
TIP: type "serload S842" and press TAB. The command will auto complete for you with the quotes in. Press enter.
7. Reset your SL4. It should start loading the image. If it fails and ask you to use the other image go back to step 3 and type "serload loader_bl.alt" instead.
8. If the image starts to load, go and get a cup of coffee and a cupcake, make that a double. Relax and read some papers (for pete's sake! ) ...
9. Post some niceties on hpcfactor.com forum.
10. Check to make sure everything is still working. And remember to have the SL4 on AC. You don't want anything to fail during a flash procedure, especially during the boot loader flashing. Best to do it with a notebook with good battery.

11. Flashing from hpc2k to 4.1 should not require HyperTerminal at all. But if flashing fails, goto step 15.
12. Once flashing is complete successfully, unplug serial cable and reset. *IF IT FAILED*, press CTRL-C and go back to step 6 to retry. It failed on me once on the very last write operation. A retry succeeded.
13. You should be greeted with a 4.1 image and a sequence to setup your SL4. Enjoi!

15. Make sure serload is no longer running. Press CTRL-C if it is.
16. Start HyperTerminal (HT).
17. Choose any name for the connection
18. Setup connection as in step4 picture
19. Reset SL4. You should be greeted on HT with a Siemens bootloader 2.5.3 screen.
20. Press "Y" to erase flash. close HT.
21. Goto step 6 to proceed with flashing in 4.1 image

A3. the filename and extension does not matter. When you do a serload, you specify the filename, so just make sure you get the filename right.

A4. See above procedure.

Hope this helps!

(step1.JPG)

(step2.JPG)

(step3.JPG)

(step4.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments step1.JPG (12KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments step2.JPG (13KB - 67 downloads)
Attachments step3.JPG (20KB - 64 downloads)
Attachments step4.JPG (22KB - 79 downloads)
 Top of the page
Tombraider Page Icon Posted 2005-07-14 11:47 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Snappy,

Thanks for that great detailed posting! I will print out instructions from you and the thomas.miglinci pdf file and ponder them today and then flash tomorrow (with fingers crossed).

So I do not rename S842-SI-INT-152 SL4 to have a .bin extension?

I was going to post here at Windows CE 4.x .net but was unsure about the "net" part. Is the image I will be flashing a CE 4.1 "Net" image?

(This is me after clear instructions on how to flash 4.1 from Snappy.)
 Top of the page
Tombraider Page Icon Posted 2005-07-14 3:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Snappy,

Thank you...I'm playing with my new CE 4.1 now. The Internet aspects are great - my wireless card was recognized right off the bat and every web site I've tried so far comes in fine.
Transcriber is horrid.
Haven't figured out Remote connection and syncing with Outlook yet - hope it syncs with active sync.

One little problem was that I was trying to load the bootloaders with serload with the SIMpad turned ON. Took me half an hour of errors before I decided to try it with the SIMpad turned OFF and then it worked.

So far it's MUCH better than the old OS.

Just thought I'd let you know. I couldn't wait till tomorrow to flash it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-14 3:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Tombraider,

It's called CE 4.x .net because it was released at a time when Microsoft were calling everything ".net"
Windows .net (renamed Windows XP) Visual Studio .net, Windows Server .net (Win2003), Exchange .net (Exchange 2003)... you get the idea.
CE 4 survived the .net naming polava as Windows CE .net version 4.0, and it stuck with 4.1 and 4.2.
Contrary to what many say, it's not CE 5 .net, just CE 5.

CE4.x generation devices do not have native PIM support - HPC2000 having Pocket Outlook of course. You can make up for this with third party programs, Pocket On Schedule for example, and some people have gotten CE Agenda working also (Review: http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=83 ).
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-14 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Congrats Tomb! Use it a little more and let us know ya?

My SL4's ir died recently ...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 7:52 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sir Snappy! has written a CESD on this to formalise the post:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0032.asp

Nice one!
 Top of the page
pj
pj Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 2:15 AM
#
Tombraider - 2005-07-14 11:47 AM

Snappy,

Thanks for that great detailed posting! I will print out instructions from you and the thomas.miglinci pdf file and ponder them today and then flash tomorrow (with fingers crossed).

So I do not rename S842-SI-INT-152 SL4 to have a .bin extension?

I was going to post here at Windows CE 4.x .net but was unsure about the "net" part. Is the image I will be flashing a CE 4.1 "Net" image?

(This is me after clear instructions on how to flash 4.1 from Snappy.)

Please help me to find S842-SI-INT-152 file i have checked all links which have been mentioned here
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 9:52 AM
#
H/PC Elder

PM me. Let's go offline.
 Top of the page
markg Page Icon Posted 2006-03-31 9:57 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Have tried to get hyperterminal to run but it only keeps showing ascii chars, or just plain garbage. Tried 115k, 38.4k, xon/xoff/hardware, etc. Still garbage! Any thoughts? Onboard bootloader is 2.4.20.07 2001
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-16 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

markg - 2006-04-01 3:57 AM

Have tried to get hyperterminal to run but it only keeps showing ascii chars, or just plain garbage. Tried 115k, 38.4k, xon/xoff/hardware, etc. Still garbage! Any thoughts? Onboard bootloader is 2.4.20.07 2001

did you get it to work?

FYI, for the normal flash process, no need to update the bootloader. and an absolutely unnecessary risk...
(ok i have experience only with the cl4 bootloader but why would the sl4 be different?)

no need for hyperterminal either. except if you want to check what bootloader you have... this is how i found out i was unsuccessful in updating the bootloader. i still had the very old 1.4.xx bootloader. then i said what the hell, i'll just try to flash the image in via serload (no hyperterminal!! just the nice old command prompt) and it worked. nice english ce.net 4.1 instead of the german CE3
so all that was needed was: launch command prompt ("cmd"), go to the dir where you have serload AND the image (rename it to some short name so that you don't have to type too much, no file extension name needed), and type serload imagename ... then when it started loading the image (there will be a progress bar in cmd) make a coffee for yourself and wait, hahaha.
you probably have to use COM1 btw.

oh and wally, if you see this thread. your sought after loader_bl.alt is in the download in snappy's article.. (strictly SL4 though, NOT CL4)
but you don't really need the .alt, it's there just in case the first one wouldn't get flashed in. i didn't fiddle with .alt at all.
 Top of the page
markg Page Icon Posted 2006-05-16 9:12 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Actually - I went ahead and did the mullenger 4.2 upgrade - A bit pricey with the shipping, etc., but IMO, worth it - now I have it upgraded to 4.2+, WMP 9, and it runs great!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-16 9:19 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow. how much was shipping?
 Top of the page
markg Page Icon Posted 2006-05-16 11:35 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

UPS to england from Wisconsin, USA - ~$115 to 3-day ship.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-16 4:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, as I write I'm charging the Libretto and SL4 to top them up.

Both will be attached to a UPS with a decent battery during flashing.

The only remaining issue is the speed of the Libretto. I think 75mhz is enough for flashing but if it's not, speak up now before I brick something

edit. BTW, Tombraider, way to go!! The kids have nothing on you !

Edited by wallythacker 2006-05-16 4:14 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10