x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wifi issues on EPC-1026 with Windows CE

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-07 4:18 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi everyone.

This is my first post in this forum and I'm new to Windows CE 6.0.
Well, I'm having problems with Wi-Fi. I know this is nothing new to those who have bought one of those Chinese 7"-10" netbooks. Mine is a 10" with a 1024*600 resolution. It's unbranded and has the E10 model name. I think any patch for Wabook Sky or EPC-1026 will work.

The problem is, I can't connect to Wi-Fi and I googled and all the posts led me to a Digital Gadgets/Sylvania shell update. I knew the Sylvania 7" mini netbook has a different resolution (800*480) but I installed the update hoping it supported multiple resolutions. Well, it doesn't. So I had to search for a 10" WinCE image that supported 1024*600 to restore my system back to normal. I found it on HPC Factor, so I registered here. Downloaded it, flashed it and my system is now back to normal. And that includes the Wi-fi problem. Ah, the nostalgia...

So my question is: What should I do to make my Wi-Fi connection work? When I turn Wi-fi on, it tries to connect to my network and instantly disconnects saying that it was unable to associate. Also, sometimes after turning Wi-Fi off and on again, it connects, but it won't upen any site. So, it is actually not connected.

So the question is: how do i fix the Wi-Fi issue now that I know that the Sylvania patch was not designed for my 10" nebook?

Oh, and another question: I've seen in many reviews that the 7" version has a sidebar with widgets. Is that available for the 10" netbooks? How do i enable them?

Thanks in advance.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-06-07 7:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Windows Embedded CE 6.0

This issue comes up sometimes with these WM8505 netbooks (which include the Wabook/EPC-1026 and the Sylvania SYNET07526/SYNET7WID). The only thing that seems to solve the problem sometimes is to shut the device down and then restart it after the failure to connect. Usually, once I connect successfully, the problem doesn't recur.

The only 10" netbook on which I've seen the WonderMedia sidebar has been the WM8850 version with Windows Embedded Compact 7 instead of CE 6. (Most users actually find this sidebar annoying. )
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-07 12:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I wonder if your wifi is using encryption, i.e. WEP...

Sometimes I think this problem is related to a timing issue...other times, I don't know. I do know however that I never seemed to have problems if I were trying to connect to an open wifi signal. It was only with the encrypted ones that I demonstrated a problem similar to that which you describe.
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-07 2:43 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Sorry for not providing enough information. My network has WPA2/WPA2 Personal encryption. By the way, the CE image I used from this site has the "Wi-Fi Power" entry in the Start menu. My computer had it on the desktiop, but it's the same applet, with the "Power On/Power Off toggle button. As far as I've read, the Sylvania 7" minibook had the same problem and it was solved with an update that placed the Wifi icon on the tray bar (I know, I know... the problem is not the applet but something else). Yes, I know mine is not the Sylvania, but I wonder if there isn't a similar fix for my netbook.

What if I install Android? Does this solve the problem? I have yet to find an Android image for this netbook. There are plenty of them for the 7" version.
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-07 3:14 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Update: I succeded on getting to the Facebook home page with Zetakey Browser But Zetakey is unusable - whenever I try to type on an edit field (username or passwrod, for example) it moves the focus to the address bar. And most importantly, it closes with an out of memory message after trying to load one page or two.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-07 5:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I seem to remember some 10" Android firmware flashes on Slateroid for the 8505
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-07 5:20 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'd like to add that this doesn't happen only when trying to connect to my own Wi-Fi network. When I'm at my boyfriend's it won't connect to his network, either. It has WPA2/WPA2 Personal encryption, too. I haven't tried on an open network yet.

Maybe it's time to move to Android/Linux. That's a shame, because it's my first time with Windows CE.

Edited by Tincho 2014-06-07 5:47 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-06-07 5:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

2.4GHz interferes with radar and bluetooth and microwave oven.
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-07 5:47 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'm not using Bluetooth (neither the smartbook nor my notebook have Bluetooth), have no microwave oven and there are no radars around as far as I know
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-08 10:31 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Too all the people trying to help me out:

Rest assured that

1. I know it's a common problem with these crap chibooks. I know this isn't something that happens only to me.
2. I've paid little for mine; it's refurbished and I paid something like 50 US dollars (which is pretty low for a computer here in Argentina).
3. I've tried every solution I've found so far. I've tried Fixwifi.exe from Digital Gadgets, I've tried patching the RTsomething DLL, changed the network security to Open and then to WEP, tried restarting both the computer and the router. No results so far.

Even though I've paid little and I knew the conputer wasn't going to be perfect (or even good), I'm somewhat happy. To be honest, I'd be happy if the network connection worked.

Now I'm pissed off, desperate and running scared in circles

But reading another thread I learned that I can change the resolution of the OS images from the script, so now I can try some of the Android images for the 7" model. And what about WinCE 7?

Now the problem is, how do I know if my netbook has a NAND flash or an internal USB? Mine has no label in the computer and the box is a generic, plain white one.

Edited by Tincho 2014-06-08 10:48 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-06-08 11:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The Windows Embedded Compact 7 images are for the 8650 processor. Your device has an 8505 processor. The two processors' reflash scripts aren't compatible.
 Top of the page
Tincho Page Icon Posted 2014-06-08 11:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

CE Geek - 2014-06-08 7:19 PM

The Windows Embedded Compact 7 images are for the 8650 processor. Your device has an 8505 processor. The two processors' reflash scripts aren't compatible.

I know... I had hopes that there was an image for the WM8505 Or maybe the WM8505 could never run WinCE 7?

Now I'm trying to install Android, but the system ignores the SD card and goes directly to the Windos CE boot process.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-06-09 4:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There may be multiple versions of Android ROMs, but you may have to poke around the Web to find one that'll work on the 10" model. However, I don't think the 8505 supports anything newer than Android 2.1. 2.2 only seems to be supported by the 8650, 4.1 by the 8850, and 4.2 by the 8880. See the site below for more clues:

http://www.techknow.me/forum/index.php?action=forum

Word of warning, though: the custom Android builds there known as Uberoid only have versions supporting the 8650 and 8850. (I picked up a lot of ten Craig CLP281 7" netbooks cheap on eBay, and reflashed one with the 8650 version of Uberoid, and it's nice, but personally I can't see using Android without a touchscreen. I reflashed four others from that lot with various Windows CE ROMs: one with that site's version of WEC 7 called UberCE7, and the other three with three different versions of CE 6 ROMs compatible only with the 8650. Four others were working out of the box with the pre-installed versions of Android 2.2, while one won't boot at all even though the LED lights up.)

There's a custom 8505 ROM I've stumbled upon out there called "Windows CE Hopelessness Edition." I haven't tested it yet, though. It's a 7" version in any event, and apparently supports touchscreen tablets. See here for more info:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/2441-wince-hopelessness-edition-fin...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-06-09 12:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

All embedded arm/MIPS/arm ~strong and 246 .mil arpa.mil www.dhs.gov via whitehouse.gov is safe.

-Air Force one '89

Charlie sigma phi bravo delta...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-09 12:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

What's with the spamming Stingraze?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum: