x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wireless Lan HP 728

1 2
fscm Page Icon Posted 2014-08-09 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

New user. Just received 3Com wireless card for my Jornada 728.
Downloaded drivers from HPC: factor, copied them to Memory stick and connected 728 to laptop,

I copied 3 files (3cwlance, SetupCE,Wireless Lan CE 2577) to 728 via activesync but the SetCE gives me the error message "Not a valid CE application".

Not sure what to do.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-08-09 8:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
These didn't come in a .cab file?

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-08-09 10:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That's because the file is meant to be run from your desktop computer to decompress and install with an ActiveSync connection. You only need the 2577 CAB file. Copy it to your Jornada and tap on it to install the drivers.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-08-09 10:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Handheld PC 2000

Please pay attention to where you're posting. No Jornada model, including the 728, ever ran CE 2.0.
 Top of the page
fscm Page Icon Posted 2014-08-10 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I put the files on the 728 via activesync and the 3 files were loaded.

I qas able to execute the Setup CE, it brough up a window that the card was not recognized, provided a field to rename it.

But after that I never noticed the pc card as being energized or further recognized.

The other 2 files were: 3cwlance, wireless LAN CE 2577 and a third WLANMonitorCE
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-08-11 12:35 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Please walk us through your exact steps: model of card, did you use the cab or copy-over files, etc.

If it's a 32-bit card, you're out of luck...

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-08-11 1:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yes, what is the exact model number printed on the card?
 Top of the page
fscm Page Icon Posted 2014-08-11 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

3 COM 11 Mbps Wireless LAN PC Card Version 2.o 3CRWE62092A.

The files on the Jornada are: Program Files/3Com/Wireless LAN/3cwlance, Sertup CE, Wireless LAN CE.2577 and WLanmonitorCE.

On the laptop while connected to the Jornada via Activesync I 2x clicked on theWireless LAN Ce.2577 got the mesaage "Cannot open the cabinet file".
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-08-11 9:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I know the 2B version works with the Alpaxo software drivers...not sure about 2A. You might have to update the firmware somehow...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-08-11 10:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

As Rich says, you're having trouble because it's a ppc program and needs RedGear to run properly on a hpc

Furthermore, the card is not worth the bother. I have the 3CRWE62092B and it's a pita with the 728 (works without complaint with the 720). Lots of freezes, lots of soft resets coming out of suspend, etc.

Get a Lucent Orinico card and you'll be much happier. I gave up on my 3CRWE62092B, and don't know the A model at all.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2014-08-11 10:41 PM
 Top of the page
fscm Page Icon Posted 2014-08-11 11:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Read a thread wby user 'Isreal' who said the 3 Com card worked with his HP 728. I Would like to contact him.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-08-12 12:52 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Oh, it will work. But the device will often freeze after a return from suspend, and sometimes just freeze up in the midst of things. You can either soft reset and pull out and reinsert card. I just got tired of that, though I do miss its form factor.

Jake
 Top of the page
fscm Page Icon Posted 2014-08-12 2:08 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I can't get the card to show if it is energized, not lights, nothing. The computer recognizes the card, asks for the driver, but I don't know it, just the CAB file is on the comuter.

Still looking for help on installing a 3com card with xjack to a hp 728.

Installed it, but can't seem to get it working, I saw a post by Israel that was successful with the installation. Would like to contact him if any knows, or can help otherwise.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-08-12 8:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

One other thing, I'm not sure if you noticed it or not. In the HCL on this website, there are two different listings for this 3Com wifi card. One is the standard driver set from 3Com, the other is the Alpaxo software with the site monitor.

The latter (Alpaxo) is the one you need to install. It is a specially modified version of the 3Com driver that allows it to run on the Jornada 720/728 devices. The CEMonitor software is a separate program that you use to configure your wifi card settings.

With most HPCs, this is the normal way things work. First a driver that handles all the hardware functions of the card, and then a control program of some type that allows you to set the card via software to be normal wifi card, or to have an ad-hoc connections, to set the WEP security protocol, broadcast data, etc.

You normally need both of these to make the wifi card work. And even after you install the drivers and software, often times it is necessary to perform a warm-reset of the handheld before the thing will work because there are normally registry changes made that are not active until the machine has been rebooted...not restarted by just turning the power on and off, but actual soft reset.
 Top of the page
fscm Page Icon Posted 2014-08-13 4:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I downloaded the file ans stilll could not get the 3COM card to work.

Really wanted to get the wireless working but something I'm doing (I guess) si wrong.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9