x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Need Advice for Case Crack Repair

Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-08-15 2:20 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
On my HP 728, I have a spreading crack starting from the left hinge and traveling about 1/2" up the left side of the screen, and about 1/4" from the screen itself.

So far, the screen and hinge are unaffected. What would folks suggest using to prevent the crack from spreading further?

Ideally, a piece of plastic could be glued over the crack, but that would prevent the case from closing fully, I think.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2014-08-15 2:34 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-08-15 4:44 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Ah, you've cracked the case, Holmes.

I always find superglue inside the existing crack does the job.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-08-15 12:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've always disassembled the parts completely, then used an epoxy made for plastics on the inside of the component. More than once it required me to put a clamp or wad of rubber bands around the piece to hold the crack shut until the epoxy dried. Sometimes, I will heat up the crack using a solder gun to melt the plastic on the inside to help fuse the pieces together.

A lot of work I know, but I've always felt that if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-08-15 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Many thanks for your quick posts. I don't think I'm capable of taking off the screen, and heating up the crack when it's so close to the screen might cause more problems. Were I to simply use a glue, toothpick, and an attempt to fill the crack by hand, which is the best recommendation, epoxy or super glue?

Thanks again,
Jake

Edited by Jake 2014-08-15 1:18 PM
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2014-08-15 7:41 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Do be careful of the type of glue you choose. i had mine glued with the wrong type and the plastic around the glued area became brittle, and caused hell.
I ended having to purchase a loose part off ebay and now it's saveD my day. but 7USD poorer. LOL.
And I think the crack started appearing due to the hinge mechanism getting tighter with age, so Now i have to hold that part with finger and thumb when opening and closing the screen. Though a bit of a hassle, but just to make sure the stress exerted on that part (by the hardened hinge) is not so much.

P/S: The part which I bought came with the hinge mechanism attached, but the hinge was stiff and wouldn't even budge using two pairs of pliers, so I have to reuse the old hinge.

Edited by roychanyl 2014-08-15 7:42 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-08-15 9:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm thinking about using JB Weld Plasticweld Quick Set Epoxy. That seemed to have tested well, and it has some expansion qualities that might fill that crack.

I think royalnyl is right--age stiffens the hinge and makes the case work harder.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-08-15 9:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A little petroleum jelly applied periodically when the hinge starts to stiffen might reduce that effect, though.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-08-15 9:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yet another vital use for an age-old lubricant!

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9