x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Antenna Spec for Ubisurfer 9

DavieRich Page Icon Posted 2014-12-10 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Can anyone help me please? I am simply wanting to know the specification of the WiFi antenna supplied with the Ubisurfer 9, in particular the type of connector used. I cannot decide if it is a "Male SMB" or a "Female SMA", not if reverse polarity comes into it, as mentioned in some antenna specs I've been looking at. I'm not a hardware guy, just wanting to boost the signal to this box which I use alongside more modern kit. I cannot find anything about the antenna other than the part number, DW-EA01, nor can I find any UK-based supplier with one in stock. Therefore I'm trying to identify an alternative.

The lead into the original antenna has been pulled out, and short of destroying the base pf the antenna I cannot see an easy way to repair it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who troubles to read this.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-12-10 1:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you are talking about the antenna connection residing between the two USB ports, it is not for the wifi...rather it is an extension for the internal cellular modem.

The wifi antenna is simply printed onto the PCB inside the unit in the middle. You can see pictures of it here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17028&st...

Go to the second page.

The cellular radio antenna is located inside the LCD lid assembly
 Top of the page
DavieRich Page Icon Posted 2014-12-10 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the info. I could have sworn that the antenna was for the WiFi. It is so long since I had the thing connected to the mobile/cell phone network that I'd forgotten the true purpose. Funny thing is... the WiFi signal did seem to be better when I used the antenna before it broke !!! Must be purely my imagination.

Just for info, for anyone interested, I've installed the "Opera Mini" browser and it works very nicely with WiFi. Much more modern looking and able to deal with current web sites better, but admittedly best with sites designed for mobile phones. I know Opera have a web site, and I think (but my memory isn't great - see above!) that I went for the Pocket PC version. Breathes a bit of new life into the thing in competition with tablets etc.

I'm more into software than hardware. I've found a Java VM which runs, also "Brandy Basic" which is based on the old BBC Micro Basic (used to have a Beeb!) but not played much with either.

Will try and find time to post details of where I got these from, probably as a new thread.

Cheers

Dave R

PS/ Just for the sake of my sanity, what the hell is the connector for the antenna ?!!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-12-10 8:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There are 2 separate radios in the Ubisurfer 9. The internal connector in the base in the center is the wifi (if I remember correctly). The antenna for for cellurlar CDMA radio card is in the lcd lid. It also has a connector between the two USB slots for an additional antenna.

With that said, if you don't use the cellular modem, you could very easily jump between that connector and the wifi antenna and plug in an external 2.4ghz antenna such as is used with some 802.11b pcmcia wifi cards. That would probably actually improve your wifi signal strength...especially if you had an antenna with 3-5db gain or more.

Opera Mini is the best. I was never able to make the newer versions of Opera for CE work...

Back to the antenna...if I have remembered incorrectly and have the wifi/cellular radios mixed up...be sure to let use know. I no longer have my Ubisurfer...and to be honest, I miss the 9" screen.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-12-11 7:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

On the UberWinCE7 pages in the TechKnow forums, there's a link for a ZIP package with about 30 MB of apps, and among those is Opera Devices 10 for Windows Embedded CE:

http://www.techknow.me/forum/index.php?topic=4526.0

It does open on CE 6 as well as WEC 7 devices, and looks like an improvement on Opera Mini 5, though I haven't fully tested it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.172 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9