x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Transferring PIM data from one HPC to another

H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2015-03-01 4:55 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm sure there is something here on this already, but I can't seem to find anything directly. So here goes.

On my HP200LX, I can just copy a file and transfer PIM data etc to another device using my CF card so that my tasks, appointments etc get transferred.

Is it possible to copy a file or select group of files onto a CF card on say a Jornada 728 and then transfer those files using the CF card to another 728 (or 720) or NEC 900?

I don't want to sync or deal with email. I'd just really like to be able to use the tasks and calendar functions on my 728 and 900 by CF card between the two (like I can do with my 200LX devices).

Thanks in advance.

H2OGuru
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-03-01 8:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Included among the H/PC Pro Power Toys is a tool called PIM Transfer, which allows one to send Calendar and Tasks (but not Contacts) data from one H/PC to another via infrared. (Power Toys for H/PC Pro is of course available here in the Download Centre.) There's another alternative for CE Agenda users: a version of DB Tools called CE Agenda Backup that will back up the data from CE Agenda on one device, and from that you should be able to use the same utility to restore it onto the other device. Both CE Agenda and its backup applet are also available in the SCL here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/search.asp?freetext=CE+Agenda&Sear...

For others who might be interested in copying Contacts data from one device to another, the only way I know of to do this is through a backup/restore program that has the capability to back up databases. I know from experience that bSquare bUSEFUL Backup Plus does this, and Phatware's HPC dbExplorer is supposed to be able to do it as well. Neither is freeware, however, so unless you've already purchased them or have them pre-installed on one of your CE devices, you'll only be able to use them for a limited time. There are a couple of other choices that work on most CE 4.2 and higher devices: EzBackup and dotFred's PIM Backup, which might work on the 728 with RedGear installed - but then of course the other device(s) would also have to be ARM-based (as in your case). (Nyxbull Software's NS Contacts Backup may also be able to do this, but it requires .NET CF 2.0, and a version of .NET CF 2.0 for CE 3.0 or earlier has never been developed.)

With the huge collection of CE devices I've amassed, it was always an unfulfilled wish on my part for some version of the ActiveSync host program to be developed for CE devices themselves, allowing direct sync by infrared, Bluetooth, WiFi, and/or even USB between multiple CE devices without the need for a host PC. (It's all right to dream, as long as one doesn't drool on the pillow. )
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-03-01 9:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

What about MBeam or Peacemaker...don't they allow ird transfer?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-03-01 10:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I was trying to remember about Peacemaker, since I haven't used it in a long time - and Conduits' Peacemaker page has moved on to archive.org. I just looked at the page in the Wayback Machine, and the free version does transfer Contacts data only (the Pro version transferred Calendar and Tasks data and more).
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2015-03-05 3:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey guys--Thanks for the help. It sounds like the DB Tools for CE Agenda is exactly what I need to accomplish my goals. Unfortunately, when I downloaded the application from this site as suggested and try to run it on my Jornada 728 and MP 900, I get installation errors. I usually know my way around an HPC, but I must be out of practice and doing something boneheaded.

On the 900 (stock 900---HPC 2000 with no upgrades), I get the error message "Cannot find DB TOOLSarm" or one of its compnents..."

Similarly, on the 728, I get "An unsupported operation was attempted"...

I will try to attach screenshots of each. (Edit--my screen snaps are too large--had to trim them to just the error message)

Do I need to put the exe file into a specific folder--I tried the Windows folder and I tried the CE Agenda folder too after trying a "standard" install on my CF cards as well as the internal card on the 900. Get the same thing each time. Am I missing some dll or something?

Also--to be clear--I use CE Agenda (been a registered user for years) and it works fine on both devices.

Thanks!

H2O Guru

Edited by H2OGuru 2015-03-05 3:47 PM

(MP900 error-a.bmp)

(Jornada error-a.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MP900 error-a.bmp (98KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Jornada error-a.bmp (50KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2015-03-05 4:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Do I need to install DB Administrator 1.1 first to use the DB for CE Agenda tool? If so, am I missing the registration information from the download site. I don't see it, but the software installation process asks for registration information...

Edit--it let me past the registration screen after a couple of tries.

H2O Guru

Edited by H2OGuru 2015-03-05 4:08 PM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-03-05 6:12 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

H2OGuru - 2015-03-05 6:39 PM
On the 900 (stock 900---HPC 2000 with no upgrades), I get the error message "Cannot find DB TOOLSarm" or one of its compnents..."

Similarly, on the 728, I get "An unsupported operation was attempted"...

For the former - Executability Check as always.
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2015-03-06 12:49 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks Alt Bass -- Ran Ex Check on the MP900 and it tells me that "mfcce211.dll" cannot be loaded. "Mfcce211.dll" or linked file can't be found.

On the Jornada 728, I simply get that "mfcce211" can't be loaded.

Looking in the downloads of dlls, the only "mfc" files I can find are for MIPS or SH3 processors only...can someone suggest to me what I am missing?

H2O Guru
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-03-06 6:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You must be looking in the "pspc" folder for CE 2.11. The "hpc-pro" one should have versions for ARM, MIPS, SH3, SH4, and x86. Have you tried PIM Transfer yet?
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2015-03-06 7:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks - will see if I can find the right ("hpc-pro" ) version...

Sorry--been obsessing on the DB Tools fix--have not tried the PIM transfer. I thought the DB Tools answer was closer to what I was looking for as I use CE Agenda.

Thanks again for the help.
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2015-03-09 9:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Update--I tried PIM Transfer on transferring my task list from the 720 to the 900 and it works like a charm. Have not tried calendar yet, but will. The main thing for me though was to keep a running tab of my tasks on both devices and this I can do simply enough with PIM transfer. It is really very simple--point and shoot. Just remember to select all tasks (or at least the tasks you want to transfer).

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it muchly.

H2OGuru
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-03-10 8:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you need the MFC, I compiled them all here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={F0B98CA2-6717-482...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10