x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Android Tablet

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-06-19 1:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

For the past year I've been using a 2nd Gen Kindle Fire with the N2A OS. It is basically a Kindle that has been reformatted with standard Google Android...no Kindle shell at all. Worked great...

But yesterday my wife bought me a true Android tablet for my birthday. She's a pretty smart shopper. She read the reviews on them, checked out the prices, and ended up getting me the ASUS ME181C-A1.

For $112 brand new, that is hard to beat in quality. Strange thing is they had it in white and black on Amazon for $179.99, while the light blue version was only $111.99. Weird that the color would be a $68 savings.

I like the 8" screen over the 7" one. I like all the features, resolution, battery life, light weight...everything about it over the Kindle. It isn't a Nexus 9...but for the cost it is hard to beat.

She actually looked for a Windows CE device...and I could have told her beforehand that she was barking up a tree...but she learned for herself that there are no consumer CE powered devices any more....
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-06-19 5:06 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Nice,

I guess were both Intel Androiding then...

Yesterday i received a dell venue 8 7000 they had em on sale and with a coupon i got it for $300 ...had been looking at the nvidia shield tablet, nexus 9, & this one. I cant believe the build quality is so good on this thing, no crunchies or loose button rattle nor flex.

8" is about the perfect size.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-06-19 9:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

While I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to reflash older Android tablets with CE, I have had for some time an Android tablet that stayed Android. I had a 7" tablet running 4.2 until I fried it a month ago. I got a replacement with KitKat (4.4) for 36 USD on eBay a week or so later. It works nicely, but I'm finding Android slows down almost as much as Windows XP on the old notebook PC I'm typing this on. Even a lot of Android tablet enthusiasts have commented online that Windows CE responds faster, even if it doesn't do as much.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-06-20 1:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I used my MP790 the entire last 6 weeks while down south vacationing...used it with DeClock. It makes a great clock...what can I say?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-04-15 11:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Guess I'll breathe a little life in this thread.

Since my original post nearly 4 years ago, I've gone through a number of tablets and phones. And while they all have evolved in capacity and function, the one common thing they shared that I hated was bloatware. It drives me nuts.

Well the only solution to that is to install custom firmware. But that is not always possible. My old ASUS Memopad had a locked down bootloader. My newer Kindle Fire HD10 was even worse. My old Galaxy Tab 4 was so low and memory limited it wasn't worth it.

PROBLEM RESOLVED!

Last week my dream machine (albeit non-WinCE) arrived in the mail. Cost me $122 delivered from Asia. It's super fast, has more than enough RAM/ROM storage, aluminum body, Gorilla glass, fairly lightweight, just a wonderful tablet…and…here it comes…ZERO BLOATWARE!

This pure Android 7.0 tablet is the Teclast M89.

The only negative might be the real facing camera is only 8MP, which is marginal by modern day standards.

Review here: http://nambor.com/teclast-m89-tablet-pc-review-pros-cons/

I am really happy now!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-04-15 11:33 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Amazon link to Rich's Teclast M89

I've been banging the drum on installing LineageOS for years now. I completely stand by that. It's a breath of fresh air for an old device. I have a family member with a B&N Nook HD that is donkey's years old which I coaxed into booting Lineange 7.1.1 and it gets every day use as a book reader.

I got another family member a 10.5" Galaxy Tab A SM-T590 . It's on Android 8.1 at the current time and should get Android 9 at the end of the month. Once it goes out of life, I'll Lineage it. Same with my newly acquired Galaxy S10e .

The SM-T590 is quite nice, pretty snappy. Was a £200 acquisition (£220 after screen protector and case). I would like to have the ability to remap the damn bixby button (on the Tab and the S10e) as I want none of that cloud AI horse feed. I would also have liked it to have a fingerprint sensor though (everything should have a fingerprint sensor these days IMHO).

It does have face unlock (*cough* gimmick *cough), but getting your face into the frame of the camera is entirely unnatural as the front camera's field of view is woefully inadequate and where you feel you should hold the device only has the top of your head in frame. This would be manageable if there was some sort of preview or guide, but there isn't. It's a black-box process.

Otherwise, it is a nice device. Most of the bloatware that it comes with is installed during first boot rather than being ROM shadowed. Thus, it was refreshing for a change to be able to uninstall (rather than disable) Fleecebook, Google's spyware and all the cash-cow games the OEM's are paid to pre-install.
I thought that the front and rear camera's were OK for what they are too. It hasn't got anything on the S10e, but they are not bad at all.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2019-04-15 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie, is it possible to install LineageOS on a Fire 7 tablet?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-04-15 8:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PDXMark - 2019-04-15 5:21 PM

C:Amie, is it possible to install LineageOS on a Fire 7 tablet?

What's the exact model number for that?
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2019-04-16 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I left it at home - I'll take a look tonight.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2019-04-17 5:45 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The model# is SR043KL. It's the 7th generation Fire 7 tablet.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-04-17 10:19 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It looks to me that while LineageOS doesn't have a formally services distro, they do exist:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hd/7-development the 26th November thread for examples seems to be your device. Looks like it will take TWRP (the LineageOS preferred bootloader essentially) as well, so I'd surmise that yes, it is possible. In practice the lack of a formal release means that auto update won't work, you'll have to patch it from TWRP.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 8