x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CF card quirk in Nova 5000EX

1 2
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-01 8:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The cool new Nova 5000EX that I recently picked up is having a weird issue with CF cards. I tried using a 512 MB CF card that I've had for a while now, but when I inserted it the "Unrecognized Hardware" dialog immediately appeared. When I typed in atadisk as the driver name, the dialog box closed, but the card still didn't show up. I also tried two new Kingston 2 GB CF cards I just picked up on eBay, and got the same result. Yet the other Nova 5000s I'm using recognize all three cards without a problem. Then I tried a 1 GB card I had in one of those other ones in the new Nova, and that device recognized it immediately. All these cards are formatted to FAT32 with the default cluster size, except for one of the new 2 GB cards, which I have not reformatted since I got it. (That one, and originally the other 2 GB card I got with it, were formatted to FAT.) As I said, all these cards are recognized by my other Novas, but only the 1 GB one is recognized by the new one. I took a look at atadisk.dll in each of the Novas, and all of them are exactly the same size (16,896 bytes). What could be the difference causing the new Nova to recognize one card but not the other three? (So far I'm working around this by using one of the new cards in the Nova that I pulled the 1 GB card from, and using the 1 GB card in the new Nova.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-01 7:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

What if you format the card exFat? Does it recognize it then?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-09-01 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I am assuming that you have a Nova in which all cards work. I suggest that you try both cards, going to HKLM/Drivers/Active each time and finding the key corresponding to CF and exporting it. Then, try to find the difference or upload both somewhere so that more people inspect them.

You may also check the key HKLM/Drivers/PCMCIA/atadisk and probably search the registry for iClass value (it may reveal something useful).
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-09-01 8:25 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-02 6:44 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the suggestions, Alt Bass. FWIW, I checked HKLM/Drivers/PCMCIA in both the new Nova with the 1 GB card (the one card that it recognizes), and in one of the other Novas (which recognizes all the cards and currently has one of the new 2 GB cards in it), and the IClass value was identical between the two devices. (There are 41 drivers in HKLM/Drivers/Active, so finding the one corresponding to ATADisk volumes may take a while longer.)

exFAT isn't supported before CE 6, Rich, so that's not an option.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-02 2:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How about just saving the registry to the device that works with everything and copying it over to the one that doesn't?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-09-02 8:30 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2015-09-02 9:44 AM

Thanx for the suggestions, Alt Bass. FWIW, I checked HKLM/Drivers/PCMCIA in both the new Nova with the 1 GB card (the one card that it recognizes), and in one of the other Novas (which recognizes all the cards and currently has one of the new 2 GB cards in it), and the IClass value was identical between the two devices. (There are 41 drivers in HKLM/Drivers/Active, so finding the one corresponding to ATADisk volumes may take a while longer.)

exFAT isn't supported before CE 6, Rich, so that's not an option.

I was not talking about the match of iClass value.

Edited by Alt Bass 2015-09-02 8:43 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-24 7:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It looks like the only difference between the registry keys in HKLM/Drivers/Active for each card is in the "Hnd" values. Here are the keys in text format:

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 512 MB key 1.txt (0KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments 512 MB key 2.txt (0KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 1 GB key 1.txt (0KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 1 GB key 2.txt (0KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 2 GB key 1.txt (0KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 2 GB key 2.txt (0KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-09-25 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

So, which series is from fully working machine - 1 or 2?

Am I right that 1 GB card from the last experiment is recognized on both machines?

I see that series "2" is featuring ":IDE*" as device name (I of course know that CF is compatible with IDE protocol). Are you sure that there are no other keys which contain "SK*? Are you sure in that the other machine does not have keys containing ":IDE*"?

If you are not completely sure, you may dump the whole "Active" key each time, I will be fine with it. It will also be helpful to have the contents of entire "Drivers" key from both machines.

Please name the files explicitly.

Edited by Alt Bass 2015-09-25 6:27 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-25 6:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

All of them are from the older Nova that recognizes all three cards. I found three subkeys in HKLM/Drivers/Active mentioning "PCCARD" or "atadisk" after inserting each card. One of those three subkeys had identical values with all three cards, so I left that one out. The "1" and "2" at the end of each filename identify each of the other two subkeys. If you compare each one ending in "1", you'll see that all the values are the same across all three cards except for the "Hnd" value. The same is true between the subkeys ending in "2." I'll upload the keys you've requested as soon as I have some time.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-09-26 4:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Does anything change in Active key of Nova which does not recognize the part of cards?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-09-26 5:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

As I said, it would be helpful to know the contents of "Drivers" of both Novas.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-26 8:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, here are the Driver keys. The new Nova is the one that only recognizes the 1 GB card, while the old Nova is the one that recognizes all three cards.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NewNova_with_1GB.Drivers.reg.txt (136KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments OldNova_with_512MB.Drivers.reg.txt (145KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments OldNova_with_1GB.Drivers.reg.txt (145KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments OldNova_with_2GB.Drivers.reg.txt (145KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-09-26 9:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I see strange thing: the old Nova supports IDE mode of CF cards and prefers it.

1) It might operate with the card much faster than new Nova.
2) It might use the custom CF cards which are locked into IDE mode.

Are two other cards working with other CE devices or cardreader (which should never support IDE)?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-27 5:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Strange, since the old Nova's CF card slot only accommodates Type I cards, while the new Nova has a much wider slot that appears large enough to accommodate even Type III cards. Unless I'm mistaken, IDE-mode CF cards are generally MicroDrives that are Type II.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 10