x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2015-09-03 5:22 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

So I've done the whole JLime thing and frankly it's just not that impressive. The apps are outdated and in some cases broken (AbiWord).

I know there's a currently maintained NetBSD port to the Z50 and the Jornadas. Has anyone on this board used it?

I'm curious what sort of window managers, word processors, and other Unix apps are available on hpcarm
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-03 7:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to H/PC Linux / Unix
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-09-03 10:31 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Duckworth - 2015-09-03 2:22 PM

So I've done the whole JLime thing and frankly it's just not that impressive. The apps are outdated and in some cases broken (AbiWord).

I know there's a currently maintained NetBSD port to the Z50 and the Jornadas. Has anyone on this board used it?

I'm curious what sort of window managers, word processors, and other Unix apps are available on hpcarm

Sorry to hear that your experience with JLime was bad. Perhaps it's rather stressful to have X windows applications running on 206MHz CPU.

I don't know about NetBSD much, but since you were using JLime, I was searching the old wayback machine and I found a version of Linux for Jornada 720 called 720degrees Linux (based on Debian) at http://web.archive.org/web/20080421014133/http://720degrees.org/old... .

The download files at wayback machine is still alive, so you might be interested in giving it a try.

Quote from 720degrees site "720degrees is the amount of rotation in a double turn -- it's a play on the Jornada 720 name and the idea that Linux is being used to completely flip the Jornada around from obsoletion. The logo is derived in part from the logo of Debian, since 720degrees is Debian-based. Additionally, the spiral in the logo is a 720 degree spiral containing exactly 2 complete revolutions. The blue accents match the color of the shell of these Jornada palmtops."

Edited by stingraze 2015-09-03 10:36 AM
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2015-09-07 6:23 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

stingraze - 2015-09-03 5:31 AM

Duckworth - 2015-09-03 2:22 PM

Sorry to hear that your experience with JLime was bad. Perhaps it's rather stressful to have X windows applications running on 206MHz CPU.

I don't know about NetBSD much, but since you were using JLime, I was searching the old wayback machine and I found a version of Linux for Jornada 720 called 720degrees Linux (based on Debian) at http://web.archive.org/web/20080421014133/http://720degrees.org/old... .

The download files at wayback machine is still alive, so you might be interested in giving it a try.

Quote from 720degrees site "720degrees is the amount of rotation in a double turn -- it's a play on the Jornada 720 name and the idea that Linux is being used to completely flip the Jornada around from obsoletion. The logo is derived in part from the logo of Debian, since 720degrees is Debian-based. Additionally, the spiral in the logo is a 720 degree spiral containing exactly 2 complete revolutions. The blue accents match the color of the shell of these Jornada palmtops."

Thanks, but I'm just not that interested in another variant of Linux since 1) no one ever figured out power suspend 2) no one ever got boot into Linux. Supposedly, both of these issues have been solved with NetBSD on the 700 series.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 29