x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MobilePro 790: Reloaded

stasheck Page Icon Posted 2016-01-01 9:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

After a few years of not-using it, I got my MP790 back from storage. It has base memory enhanced to 48 MB (turns out you can install memory module from MP780 and it will add an extra 16MB )) ), and I just replaced old 18650 cells with working ones. So far, so good.

Now, my basic idea of using it is to SSH into my home server, and/or edit some short documents for upload. Both those things require network.

Network = wifi nowadays.

I have Cisco Aironet 352 from old days with MP, and it used to work fine. Problem is: MP lost all memory, and drivers with it.

As far as I can tell, those drivers are distributed in a form that requires connecting MP to Windows. For one, I don't have Windows younger than 7 available, nor hardware that would support it. So:

Question 1: how to extract drivers so that I can install them directly on the HPC?

The other problem: I had just one, old CF card reader, and it worked for a while now, but today I found it broke :/ Windows doesn't recognize it anymore. I'm not keen on buying a new one, since it's the only use I would have for it.

Question 2: how can I transfer files to HPC when all I got (before wifi works) is RS232 cable?

When those 2 issues are solved: is there any free SSH client for HPC?

And question 4: whatever happened to Rich Hawley's MP page? Rich, if you read this: drop me a line if you need some free hosting for it. I missed your photos sorely when disassembling the battery pack.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-01-02 12:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

"I have Cisco Aironet 352 from old days with MP"

Did you mean 342? I've never used a 352...but have lots of 350s. They did call it the AIR-PCM352 however

"Question 1: how to extract drivers so that I can install them directly on the HPC?"

Go to the hardware compatibility list, look up the Cisco 350, then select the CE3 2.6 version. There you will see the "inflated zip" file. That will contain the .cab for the MIPS HPC2000 install. Copy that file to your 790 and tap on it to install it.

"The other problem: I had just one, old CF card reader"

Buy a cheap CF to USB card adapter...I see them on eBay from CHINA for $2.65, or if you want one quickly, then one like THIS will do.

"how can I transfer files to HPC when all I got (before wifi works) is RS232 cable?"

Not sure what you are running on you desktop, but for me, I am running Win10 Pro and use Oracle VM Virtualbox on it with XP Pro installed. This means I run XP in a window on my Win10 desktop. From there I use ActiveSync 3.8 and either my COM1: serial port or (more often) use my Actisys USB infrared adapter that connects to any of my CE devices without having to change cables. I also tried and it works okay too, but slower than the other two is a PL2303 USB to serial adapter.

"whatever happened to Rich Hawley's MP page?"

Every single thing I ever had on my website has been transferred to HPCFactor. At least all the important stuff. I didn't see the necessity to duplicate resources, so I kinda moved in here as a houseguest. Oh...and if you really want to see that old battery rebuild I did, the file is attached in Word format.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments old battery rebuild.docx (973KB - 7 downloads)
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2016-01-04 9:37 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi Rich, long time no see :-) I think it'd be good to put your battery rebuild howto on the site, I spent some time preparing for mine :-) (and yes, it's Aironet 350, marked as 352 )

Now, I'm thinking... Since WiFi will only handle WEP, and it's huge reconfiguration of the network to make it secure; and even after that I'd need a decent SSH client for NEC - with prices for this software that are outrageous.

The idea with ESP8266 is neat one, serial console would be enough; the downside is a) speed b) amount of tinkering; and I have just 1, very long, NEC to RS232 cable, that I'm not willing to damage. So, shelved for now (although using ESP8266 in conjunction with IrDA would be cool, 4 Mbps potentially, but still more tinkering).

So maybe bluetooth? I have some BT card that I once ran in NEC, I'm not even sure if I'd find the BT stack again, and even if - I remember that it was very limited, with just 2 profiles (and I can't remember what profiles those were...). Any experience with network connectivity over BT? Any cards that work?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10